Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Farmers fear Brexit, but it could save the British countryside Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Interesting piece by George Monbiot in the Guardian. I'm not a fan of a lot of what he says, but he raises some interesting points about how Brexit could affect agricultural subsides.

It's good to see an article in the Guardian, by a strongly left wing environmentalist journalist/blogger, about some possible good things about Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...fe-agriculture

ReputationRep:
    I know a quite a few farmers in my area, all of them were leave supporters.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not overly sure I agree entirely with this point:

"Without labourers from the EU, fruit and vegetable growers will not get their crops off the fields. As a result of perceived hostility and a weaker pound, migrant farm labour fell by 30% after the referendum last year. If the government ends free movement, many producers will go under."

British produce is given a premium by British consumers - and the stores which stock it. Being able to advertise your fruit and veg as being "British in origin" makes a big difference and it's what shoppers want to see.

I work at the head office for one of the biggest chains in the country and it's something we do on every possible line.

Because of the requirement of shops to get British produce in store - especially if there's a tariff on foreign produce - the cost of UK produce could well go up, allowing those farms to pay more and use British labour rather than migrants.

All conjecture, I admit. But plausible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.