Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I met a guy who seems perfect in every way except I'm not happy with his weight. He is average looking, has a great job, very nice, funny etc, and VERY tall. But he's overweight.

I go to the gym every day and so fitness is a big part of my lifestyle.

Should I date him or no?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do it. Chubby folks are chill.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not happy with his weight then clearly you don't like him as much as you think you do

ReputationRep:
    are u really gonna ask tsr if u should date someone
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you like him you can look past his weight? Everything isn't perfect when it comes to relationships you're bound to find something that isn't for you. If it bothers you that much then maybe its not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    If his weight makes you reconsider whether you should date him, the answer is you shouldn't. He deserves someone who doesn't think his weight is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't.

Unless he expresses an interest in leading a healthy lifestyle. Then you could guide him.

ReputationRep:
    What weight has to do with love? Weight comes and goes. You are probably not going to be thin all your life. What happens many years down the line, you put on weight and he says I am leaving you because I don't like chubby girls. How will you feel. Weight is on the outside, you love what's on the inside and like what's on the outside. He sounds like he's ticking all the other boxes, apart from one, so surely this is a good catch. How many men have you met previously that tick all the boxes, were not perfect visions of man. We got our downsides. You could help him improve himself if he wishes too, but don't force it on him. If he's happy then surely if you were going out with him then it is better to have someone who is happy with themselves and loves you, or someone who unhappy with themselves to please you.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Up to you.

You are entitled not to want to date somebody who is fat, much the same as you are entitled to not date someone for any other reason. Ultimately only you can decide if it is likely to be an issue or not. The fact that you are asking us suggests that it probably is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_Jon)
    What weight has to do with love? Weight comes and goes. You are probably not going to be thin all your life. What happens many years down the line, you put on weight and he says I am leaving you because I don't like chubby girls. How will you feel. Weight is on the outside, you love what's on the inside and like what's on the outside. He sounds like he's ticking all the other boxes, apart from one, so surely this is a good catch. How many men have you met previously that tick all the boxes, were not perfect visions of man. We got our downsides. You could help him improve himself if he wishes too, but don't force it on him. If he's happy then surely if you were going out with him then it is better to have someone who is happy with themselves and loves you, or someone who unhappy with themselves to please you.
    You go to the gym together. It's fun.

I get fat every christmas. Then I go back to the gym and eating normally.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound like you're into him tbh

ReputationRep:
    Do you even like him ? I wouldn't go into a relationship with someone if all I was thinking about was how to 'change' them !

ReputationRep:
    Take him to a few ballroom classes and he'll be losing the flab in no time. Just look at the odious Ed Balls - couldn't dance for toffee but still lost a decent amount of weight.

ReputationRep:
    i think your feeling isn't love yet. What you care now is his condition. But it's not your fault if you think about that. If he also love you and can do anything for you, you can convince him of going to gym with you. I bet that you guys will have a great time together, become good-looking and ) a lovely gym couple.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.