The Student Room Group

Should I take A-Level Computer Science?

Loads of people have been telling me that computer science A level is really hard and I haven't had any computing or coding experience, should I take it?

Scroll to see replies

Well what are your other planned subjects and what do you want to do in the future?
Original post by Islandcharley266
Loads of people have been telling me that computer science A level is really hard and I haven't had any computing or coding experience, should I take it?

I did the btec compSci not a level but there are lots of resources out there and large support communities.

Code academy
Stack overflow

YouTube

I personally don't have experience with this subject but simply looking online at the percentage of people who get A* and A at A level in CompSci, ICT, and computing, suggests that it is indeed a hard subject to get a good grade in.

I do GCSE Computer Science now and to be real, it's so hard. If your natural strengths lie in Science subjects, you can do well however without previous experience, it's v risky. Plus A level is a massive step up from GCSE so it'll only be HARDER.
To get up to speed, you'd deffo have to push yourself and work extra hard. Make sure you have a good teacher; it's essential for Computing success. Don't consider teaching yourself.
There are resources to help online and you could use them to pull you through the programming and coding but I really wouldn't advise it.
may sound pessimistic but trying to stop you from making this mistake!
Original post by Bean sprout
I personally don't have experience with this subject but simply looking online at the percentage of people who get A* and A at A level in CompSci, ICT, and computing, suggests that it is indeed a hard subject to get a good grade in.

ICT is still way easier than CompSci so you could consider taking ICT to do something computer-y but not majorly difficult
If you want to do Computer Science at uni do Maths Further Maths and Physics (these are the most important). Computer Science is a good one to have as a 4th though, but Further Maths is the most important
Reply 7

Are you interested in computer science? There's no point taking it if you aren't interested in the subject. If you are then it's a good A level to have.
Original post by Bean sprout

Part of the issue as computer scientists have a very high rate of people with dyslexia
Original post by X_IDE_sidf
If you want to do Computer Science at uni do Maths Further Maths and Physics (these are the most important). Computer Science is a good one to have as a 4th though, but Further Maths is the most important

I would argue the opposite
Reply 10
I do AS Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science(haven't done it in GCSE) and I actually find it enjoyable because it involves a lot of logical thinking like it does in Maths. But also if it's computer science and not computing, it probably has textbook material as well. I'm on AQA and it's split 50% written exam and 50% programming.
Original post by niteninja1
I would argue the opposite

What that further maths is unimportant? or that computer science is essential?
What that further maths is unimportant? or that computer science is essential?

I would say computer science over further maths anyday
No don't do it. I did GCSE computing and even so am really struggling. It's almost like learning a language e.g. French. If you don't memorise the basics in the opening 20 lessons. Nothing else makes sense. Then theres a whole theory side. A very thick textbooks worth. If you have a very good teacher, have a love for coding or want to pursue a career in the area then go for it, just work very hard in those opening lessons.
Original post by Ace2233
I do AS Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science(haven't done it in GCSE) and I actually find it enjoyable because it involves a lot of logical thinking like it does in Maths. But also if it's computer science and not computing, it probably has textbook material as well. I'm on AQA and it's split 50% written exam and 50% programming.

Hii , I'm doing computer science AS , and I'm honestly struggling with it. Mainly because I have a rubbish teacher who just drones on. What motivates you because I'm literally hate it. :smile:
I would say computer science over further maths anyday

M8, you're wrong if you are talking uni admissions. Here is Bristols standard offer:

Computer Science: A*AA (incl. A* in Mathematics) or AAA (incl. A in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics) or A*AB (incl. A* in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics).
https://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/ugadmissions/howToApply/

Cambridge say:

"The primary qualifications we look for are in mathematics, since we find a strong correlation with mathematics performance and subsequent performance on our degree. Therefore A-level mathematics is essential. Further mathematics to AS or A-level is highly desirable, although we recognise that not all schools currently offer it. "
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/entry/

If you can do Further Maths at your school and want to do Computer Science as a degree. DO FURTHER MATHS. by far the most important A level. You can do computer science too.
M8, you're wrong if you are talking uni admissions. Here is Bristols standard offer:

Computer Science: A*AA (incl. A* in Mathematics) or AAA (incl. A in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics) or A*AB (incl. A* in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics).
https://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/ugadmissions/howToApply/

Cambridge say:

"The primary qualifications we look for are in mathematics, since we find a strong correlation with mathematics performance and subsequent performance on our degree. Therefore A-level mathematics is essential. Further mathematics to AS or A-level is highly desirable, although we recognise that not all schools currently offer it. "
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/entry/

If you can do Further Maths at your school and want to do Computer Science as a degree. DO FURTHER MATHS. by far the most important A level. You can do computer science too.

Drop physics then
Drop physics then

Or do all four
Original post by islandcharley266
loads of people have been telling me that computer science a level is really hard and i haven't had any computing or coding experience, should i take it?

do not do it stay the fuk away

Who cares about experience. Some that take it haven't done GCSE CompSci lol, even if they have, it wont leave you at a disadvantage even if they scored full marks.

I regret NOT taking it.

Peeps told me FM was hard all the way through school hence I didn't take it.
Now I'm loving the subject (name) and have the highest UMS in my college.

Don't listen to GCSE teacher randoms.
CompSci isn't for code monkeys, I know many 'casual' people who are brilliant at it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest