Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am feeling very depressed and it has made me stop going to university classes Watch

Hi,
    hopefully someone will read this. Lately, I've been feeling really miserable. My life feels so meaningless and I have lost the motivation to try and do anything. Part of my feeling this way has been brought on by the fact that I've realised I'm bisexual and my family is an ultra-conservative Muslim family. This has made me become plagued with negative thoughts of how if my family knew about my sexuality they would instantly disown me and call me selfish, so they don't really love me. My family has contributed a lot to me feeling sad because they are always forcing religion down my throat when I don't really see myself as a intensely religious or spiritual person.

I find it hard to relax as well as I always feel something bad is going to happen in my life and I have no idea what it is. I feel like such a ****-up even though I'm doing a good degree and going to a reputable uni. I just do not really feel engaged with anything anymore. I also feel ugly on most days and think I'm just destined to die alone with fifteen cats or something.

All of this has started to make me miss some of my classes. It is only classes for a module I really hate because when I'm sitting in that particular module class I feel even more upset and *****y.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    hopefully someone will read this. Lately, I've been feeling really miserable. My life feels so meaningless and I have lost the motivation to try and do anything. Part of my feeling this way has been brought on by the fact that I've realised I'm bisexual and my family is an ultra-conservative Muslim family. This has made me become plagued with negative thoughts of how if my family knew about my sexuality they would instantly disown me and call me selfish, so they don't really love me. My family has contributed a lot to me feeling sad because they are always forcing religion down my throat when I don't really see myself as a intensely religious or spiritual person.

I find it hard to relax as well as I always feel something bad is going to happen in my life and I have no idea what it is. I feel like such a ****-up even though I'm doing a good degree and going to a reputable uni. I just do not really feel engaged with anything anymore. I also feel ugly on most days and think I'm just destined to die alone with fifteen cats or something.

All of this has started to make me miss some of my classes. It is only classes for a module I really hate because when I'm sitting in that particular module class I feel even more upset and *****y.
    Sorry for the late reply, think it's only just back on the forum! This sounds really hard. Have you seen your GP at all, or anyone where you study? Unis in particular can have some really good support services, schools less so but there should still be someone you can talk to without your family knowing. Missing classes and things due to anxiety or lack of motivation is really common when you're struggling with mental health, that doesn't help though I know. There's a lot your GP and people can do though and even just talking to those online- we're not all scary! You can get through this, and look back on now when you're in a different place in a few years. There's worse things than fifteen cats too, I'm much more of a dog person but yeah If you've ever seen Spock's Socks around she loves them! Good luck, hope things work out for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.