Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On R plates and doing over 45 past police car Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, tonight I was sitting at 48 and since I am on r plates I am only allowed to do 45, the road was a 60. Anyway, I seen this car coming towards me, I would usually slow down but for some reason this time I didn't, anyway when I get to the oncoming car I seen my lights reflect off of the colours of the police car. It was marked and he braked about 1 second after he passede, but he never stopped and just kept going, I eased off accelerator to get to 45 as soon as I passed him. Since he didn't come after me does it mean I'm in the clear/ did he just not car as it was only 3mph over or will he send me something in post? Pretty worried now. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Totally clear, with police they have to pull you over on the spot since their in-car speed detectors aren't considered accurate enough to make a prosecution based on those alone.

Well, this is how it works in mainland England, anyways, not entirely sure of the rules if you're in NI, which due to you having R plates I'm assuming is the case.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyleed)
    Hi, tonight I was sitting at 48 and since I am on r plates I am only allowed to do 45, the road was a 60. Anyway, I seen this car coming towards me, I would usually slow down but for some reason this time I didn't, anyway when I get to the oncoming car I seen my lights reflect off of the colours of the police car. It was marked and he braked about 1 second after he passede, but he never stopped and just kept going, I eased off accelerator to get to 45 as soon as I passed him. Since he didn't come after me does it mean I'm in the clear/ did he just not car as it was only 3mph over or will he send me something in post? Pretty worried now. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated. Cheers
    I wouldn't worry if he didn't come after you. Plus I think most speedos have a 3mph margin if error (don't trust me on that)

If you have been caught you'll hear about it soon and you can't do anything about it, if you have anyway so it's pointless worrying imo but I don't think you have.

What's an R plate btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    What's an R plate btw?
    A Northern Ireland thing. All drivers in NI must display R plates and not exceed 45mph for one year after passing their test.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    A Northern Ireland thing. All drivers in NI must display R plates and not exceed 45mph for one year after passing their test.
    Whaaa..? Thats silly and dangerous :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Whaaa..? Thats silly and dangerous :omg:
    A lot of drivers simply don't display them as they are considered a bloody nuisance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    A lot of drivers simply don't display them as they are considered a bloody nuisance.
    They sound it :/ - glad they're not in England!

ReputationRep:
    Silly and dangerous is right, thanks for all your replies (quick ones too!). Feeling much more confident now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Totally clear, with police they have to pull you over on the spot since their in-car speed detectors aren't considered accurate enough to make a prosecution based on those alone.

Well, this is how it works in mainland England, anyways, not entirely sure of the rules if you're in NI, which due to you having R plates I'm assuming is the case.
    Last night I was on the M62 driving home with cruise control set to 70mph
    I was going through the variable speed limit zone, however the digital boards were off so I couldn't see any variable speed in place as the motorway was quiet.

Anyway I was driving and all of a sudden see this big flash which I believe came from the right hand side? idk the flash distance was huge, but there was a police car parked up on the left hand side which I guess had a mobile speed camera? At the time of the flash a car was overtaking me so maybe the flash was for that car speeding?

My mum is making me a bit paranoid that I'm going to get a letter even though I was doing 70 via cruise control, unless it's broken and actually goes faster than it says.

Do you think the flash would have been for the other car?
    The camera flash was like a COD flash bang tbh.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyleed)
    Silly and dangerous is right, thanks for all your replies (quick ones too!). Feeling much more confident now!
    No problem

Good
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by splicerr)
    I was going through the variable speed limit zone, however the digital boards were off so I couldn't see any variable speed in place as the motorway was quiet.

Anyway I was driving and all of a sudden see this big flash which I believe came from the right hand side? idk the flash distance was huge, but there was a police car parked up on the left hand side which I guess had a mobile speed camera? At the time of the flash a car was overtaking me so maybe the flash was for that car speeding?

My mum is making me a bit paranoid that I'm going to get a letter even though I was doing 70 via cruise control, unless it's broken and actually goes faster than it says.

If someone was overtaking you then the camera probably got the person overtaking you rather than yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splicerr)

Most modern cruise controls are pretty accurate, and if the limit signs were turned off then that assumes national speed limit in force. So you should be fine, try and forget about it and if you don't get a letter through the door in the next 14 days then you know you're all clear.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.