Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good evening lovely people.

I had started my driving lessons back home in Scotland 2 years ago. I think i had about 20 hours under my belt and was confident on most manoeuvres etc. However, i stopped doing my lessons due to work saying they would pay for me to get through. I moved with work and two years later, they've decided they won't. I have re-done my theory test as it ran out.

However i am really struggling in my new location. I booked with the only instructor who had availability at the time and i have had 6 hours with him now. I do not get along with his teaching style. At one point today, he slammed on the breaks because he thought i'd missed the line at the traffic lights when in fact it had gone green before i stopped, and then had to apologise to me. There have been a few other instances where he has grabbed the wheel - to avoid potholes!

Now i understand avoiding potholes, as i am a cyclist, but i really don't like this guy. There is another driving instructor who has now opened up availability who comes highly recommended. Should I stop with the first guy and count the last 6 hours lost?

Also, how quickly did you all get through your test? I am rather desperate to get through now as i am 600 miles from my partner and public transport has been known to take me 14 hours (SIGH).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why would the 6 hours be lost? You've still gotten 6 hours of driving on the road, which is better than 0 hours on the road, even if the instructor was bad. If you don't like your instructor, just give him a raincheck on the next lesson and do a few lessons with the new guy and see how it goes.

It'll also take you as long as it's needed to get through your test, for me it was 1.5months driving the majority of days, for others it may be much longer. In general you should expect to pass your test after a bare minimum of 30 hours driving.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.