Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wish to take the rest of the school year off so I can focus on my studies by myself and have more independence in regards to how I can prepare for my exams.

I have pretty much learned 90% of the content I need to know for my exams this year, so it's not as if I will be missing out on anything in lessons, I just wish to give myself more time to study. I don't get anything out of being at school any longer so really it is a waste of my time.

If I were to do this, what action would/could the school take? Would they allow me to do this or not? I know that the most that they can do is expel me, because it is non-compulsory education and hence I am not legally obliged to attend. I don't think that the school would expel me as they know that I am a good hard-working student and wish to go to university.

I'd talk to my head of sixth form, but I don't think that saying "I don't want to attend lessons anymore" would go down well. But, I have been given permission to "fall ill" around exam season, which would allow me some study leave.

ReputationRep:
    They would refuse to pay the entry fees for your exams (as they would receive no government funding for your declared non-attendance), and you would have to pay for all the exams yourself as a private candidate. They would refuse (or ruin) any reference you asked them to write, as they are not going to back somebody who thinks they are too good to bother attending their lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W. A. Mozart)
    I wish to take the rest of the school year off so I can focus on my studies by myself and have more independence in regards to how I can prepare for my exams.

I have pretty much learned 90% of the content I need to know for my exams this year, so it's not as if I will be missing out on anything in lessons, I just wish to give myself more time to study. I don't get anything out of being at school any longer so really it is a waste of my time.

If I were to do this, what action would/could the school take? Would they allow me to do this or not? I know that the most that they can do is expel me, because it is non-compulsory education and hence I am not legally obliged to attend. I don't think that the school would expel me as they know that I am a good hard-working student and wish to go to university.

I'd talk to my head of sixth form, but I don't think that saying "I don't want to attend lessons anymore" would go down well. But, I have been given permission to "fall ill" around exam season, which would allow me some study leave.
    Your school hasn't entered you for any exams yet and won't if you aren't attending.

You may know 90% content but the focus of lessons from now will be around developing your exams skills and ensuring you maximise your chances of getting the grades you need. I use mocks and short test to refine the content of my lessns for both individuals and the group and give detailed feedback on exam questions. Students often say that it is the last few months that pulls all their knowledge together and, looking back, was the most important.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.