Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks -emmz-
    You, as a current student know alot more so this info is very useful!

(Original post by -Emmz-)
    Anyways first this is first ... DO PHARMACY
    I have to say that did make me laugh!
    I went on the cardiff uni website but the next open day isn't till April :eek: . Oh well i'm planning on applying there anyway. What was your offer?
    Shame i feel like i'm going to get a C for AS chem but i'm very well prepared to retake!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for posting -Emmz-

I may not even see the universities I want to do pharmacy before I get (if I get!) and interview :eek:

I missed Nottinghams open day - but I think our 6th form take us to the local unis. And Aston's pretty far away...although I have a friend who's thinking of doing medicine there (so I may pursuade her we need to go there for an open day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Thanks for posting -Emmz-

I may not even see the universities I want to do pharmacy before I get (if I get!) and interview :eek:

I missed Nottinghams open day - but I think our 6th form take us to the local unis. And Aston's pretty far away...although I have a friend who's thinking of doing medicine there (so I may pursuade her we need to go there for an open day)
    Awww thanks i'm a nice member!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Hehe thanks -emmz-
    You, as a current student know alot more so this info is very useful!

I have to say that did make me laugh!
    I went on the cardiff uni website but the next open day isn't till April :eek: . Oh well i'm planning on applying there anyway. What was your offer?
    Shame i feel like i'm going to get a C for AS chem but i'm very well prepared to retake!
    *hehe* it was meant to make people laugh

My offer was ABB, but I got BBB in the end and they still had me I missed the Cardiff open day too but they interview everyone before making an offer so you get to have a good look around then. I think you get a better feel of a department on interviews anyways.

.LS ~ I think Aston is lovely if you do apply there and they make you an offer they invite you for a department open day. I had a really hard time deciding between there and Cardiff. It's small and everything (the academic buildings, accomodation and SU) is on one site so you could literally roll out of bed and into lectures. Plus you only have to walk five minutes and you're in Birmingham city centre and if you love shopping then the Bullring is heaven

ReputationRep:
    *hehe* it was meant to make people laugh

My offer was ABB, but I got BBB in the end and they still had me I missed the Cardiff open day too but they interview everyone before making an offer so you get to have a good look around then. I think you get a better feel of a department on interviews anyways.
    Thats good! I hope wherever i apply will be leniant (they may have to be!)
    Ia gree, the interviews must give a good impression of the place, i just hope theyre not too demanding!

ReputationRep:
    thanx emmz for posting! brilliant!

ReputationRep:

.LS ~ I think Aston is lovely if you do apply there and they make you an offer they invite you for a department open day. I had a really hard time deciding between there and Cardiff. It's small and everything (the academic buildings, accomodation and SU) is on one site so you could literally roll out of bed and into lectures. Plus you only have to walk five minutes and you're in Birmingham city centre and if you love shopping then the Bullring is heaven
    Once again, thanks for the post That's nice to know. I haven't really seen much of Birmingham (ok, well, that's an understatement, I've been on the motorways surrounding it :rolleyes: ). I think I'll definately apply there, now I know how nice it sounds, and as you said, I can always see it if I get an interview.

I may even apply to De Montford - I'm becoming even more determined to do pharmacy (if I do, I'll have 3 choices for Pharmacy )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Thats good! I hope wherever i apply will be leniant (they may have to be!)
    Ia gree, the interviews must give a good impression of the place, i just hope theyre not too demanding!
    I'm sure you'll be fine. The best thing to do is to try and find out what kind of interview it'll be. I've heard the Bath one is quite informal and more like a chat. The ones for Cardiff, Nottingham and Manchester are more academic so brush up on especially your organic chemistry as they'll more than likely ask you questions about that. Also one question I got asked at every interview was 'What are the different ways of getting a drug into the body?' ... by my last interview I think I could spout them all out *LoL* ... and of course they'll be the normal 'Why do you want to pharmacy?' ... 'Why do you want to come here?' ... and in the case of Nottingham they also asked if I'd had many offers already, which other pharmacy schools I'd been to look at, how I rated Nottingham compared to them and how likely would I be to take up their offer if they made me one :eek: *LoL*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Once again, thanks for the post That's nice to know. I haven't really seen much of Birmingham (ok, well, that's an understatement, I've been on the motorways surrounding it :rolleyes: ). I think I'll definately apply there, now I know how nice it sounds, and as you said, I can always see it if I get an interview.

I may even apply to De Montford - I'm becoming even more determined to do pharmacy (if I do, I'll have 3 choices for Pharmacy )
    No problems I think a lot of people tend to overlook Aston because it's not one of the older universities. Also since those new year shooting in Aston they think it's in the middle of gangland when really it's not actually in Aston and closer to Birmingham city centre than Birmingham University!

I've been to De Montford and I thought it was really friendly there, I think again people tend to overlook it because it's a new university and also because the entry requirements are lower than Notts, Manc, Cardiff etc ... but it's definitely worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    Everytime someone describes a Nottingham interview it sounds scary

Interviews sound like exams! Thanks for the heads up on the organic chemistry (something I hope to improve upon next year).

'What are the different ways of getting a drug into the body?'

Hee. I'd probably giggle at that one :rolleyes: . I remember having to explain to a group of friends why it says 'oral admission' on some tablets...(they thought it was a stupid thing to have on a box of tablets)....I think I may have scarred some of them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine. The best thing to do is to try and find out what kind of interview it'll be. I've heard the Bath one is quite informal and more like a chat. The ones for Cardiff, Nottingham and Manchester are more academic so brush up on especially your organic chemistry as they'll more than likely ask you questions about that. Also one question I got asked at every interview was 'What are the different ways of getting a drug into the body?' ... by my last interview I think I could spout them all out *LoL* ... and of course they'll be the normal 'Why do you want to pharmacy?' ... 'Why do you want to come here?' ... and in the case of Nottingham they also asked if I'd had many offers already, which other pharmacy schools I'd been to look at, how I rated Nottingham compared to them and how likely would I be to take up their offer if they made me one :eek: *LoL*
    Oh thats reassuring for bath lol. I thought they were really good for pharmacy because they say in the prospectus the department was rated 5*. Im going to visit it in september for the open day.
    The nottingham interview questions seem a bit tough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Everytime someone describes a Nottingham interview it sounds scary

Interviews sound like exams! Thanks for the heads up on the organic chemistry (something I hope to improve upon next year).

'What are the different ways of getting a drug into the body?'

Hee. I'd probably giggle at that one :rolleyes: . I remember having to explain to a group of friends why it says 'oral admission' on some tablets...(they thought it was a stupid thing to have on a box of tablets)....I think I may have scarred some of them.
    Everyone told me the Nottingham interview is the hardest, but I wouldn't say it was hard as such. I think it's probably because it was my last interview so I was ready for it all. They're just nosey about trying to find out where else you've applied, which I didn't like. They also rang me up after I'd rejected them to see why!

The organic chemistry is just stuff like like identifying functional groups and questions like 'what do you get when you reduce a carboxylic acid'.

*LoL* yeah we've been told always to tell patients to take their tablets orally (well you know if they're meant to be) because you'd be surprised what some people do with them *haha* Apparently in France a lot of the drugs come in suppository form because that's what they prefer :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone told me the Nottingham interview is the hardest, but I wouldn't say it was hard as such. I think it's probably because it was my last interview so I was ready for it all. They're just nosey about trying to find out where else you've applied, which I didn't like. They also rang me up after I'd rejected them to see why!

The organic chemistry is just stuff like like identifying functional groups and questions like 'what do you get when you reduce a carboxylic acid'.

*LoL* yeah we've been told always to tell patients to take their tablets orally (well you know if they're meant to be) because you'd be surprised what some people do with them *haha* Apparently in France a lot of the drugs come in suppository form because that's what they prefer :eek:
    Wow thats some chemistry i actually remember.
    Hmmm thats a rather strange way for medication in France... each to their own...

ReputationRep:
    Remind me never to practive pharmacy over there....thats just to damn creepy that they prefer that method of admission

ReputationRep:
    Yep there were some advantages of me never being good at French then...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, it's very strange ... on the other hand I suppose my lecturer could have been taking the piss ... but he assured us it was true ... hmmm I don't really want to do any research into the matter *haha*

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, it's very strange ... on the other hand I suppose my lecturer could have been taking the piss ... but he assured us it was true ... hmmm I don't really want to do any research into the matter *haha*
    Out of interest, how many hours a week do u have for pharmacy? At the UEA open day 9which is the only one ive been to so far) they said 32 hours which i assume is similar elsewhere. Quite a long day that means!

ReputationRep:
    I usually had 12 hours of lectures every week in blocks of 4 hours (used to there until 6 on Thursdays :rolleyes: ) ... the amount of practicals/workshops/CAL I had varied from week to week from about 9 to 15 hours a week ... I think it was even less towards the end of semester 2.

ReputationRep:
    I usually had 12 hours of lectures every week in blocks of 4 hours (used to there until 6 on Thursdays :rolleyes: ) ... the amount of practicals/workshops/CAL I had varied from week to week from about 9 to 15 hours a week ... I think it was even less towards the end of semester 2.
    Six!! :eek:
    Oh well never mind at least i'll be kept busy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah *LoL* you get used to it though, and it wasn't often I was in on Thursday morning so it was just 2-6 usually

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.