Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Yeah *LoL* you get used to it though, and it wasn't often I was in on Thursday morning so it was just 2-6 usually
    Ah good hehe that means a decent lie in at least one day a week

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3243454.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3445337.stm

ReputationRep:
    hmm...well still is a brighter future for wannabe pharmasists tho.

ReputationRep:
    Pah, surveys
    Hospital pharmacy is alot more involved nowadays. Is quite appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Pah, surveys
    Hospital pharmacy is alot more involved nowadays. Is quite appealing.
    Industrial pharmacy is quite exciting as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Industrial pharmacy is quite exciting as well...
    Yep but theres alot less placements. I'll see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    ima start pharmacy at kings this yr

ReputationRep:
    Hi. If it's any help I don't think any universities specify for you to have psychology A-Level in order for you to do psychology. However for medicine - some uni's do NOT recognise psychology as a science, and I know Cambridge doesn't, it was either for medicine or natsci - don't remember which one, probably med. I say drop psychology cus a psychology degree is still opened afterwards. And since pharmacology and medicine both require the sciences rather than psychology, probably best to drop psych instead. But depends how much you enjoy it - if you know you'll seriously regret dropping psych then for goodness sake DON'T drop it - drop something else.

By the by, I'm split between medicine and pharmacology myself - and once upon a time I was gonna do psychology - tis why i took up chem and bio to keep it opened. Still undecided between the two though

ReputationRep:
    I would say whichever one you find more interesting. I mean obviously pharmacy is much more secure in terms of employment but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. IT's been said over and over again but you'll excell at things you genuinely want to do.

ReputationRep:
    yh....i jus got back from my work expereince placement at a pharmacy...first day.

the pharmacist there was really good, except he really advised me against it. he said the same thing, do something you enjoy because thats where youre going to excel.

hearing it from him, and actually seeing it for myself, pharmacy is 90% management of a buisiness, 10% pharmacy.

So really your not using much of what you have learnt at all, just handing out medicines which dont need as much dispensing as they did before, as they come already packaged in the boxes/bottles that they need to be given out in. Your just reading labels all day!

i can already do most of - if not all of what the lead pharmacy does everyday. obviously i dont yet know how to handle invoices of the stock, but as i said thats just the buisesness part of it. he does know more than me about the medicines obviously, but in some sense you dont really need it, if you can see what i mean.

people i just need help!
    i mean i think i would be better off in a hospital pharmacy right,..or should i drop pharmacy alltogether! and do something like medicine, or again pharmacy, as it does involve mroe job satisfaction and intreraction with peopl...your also using your knowledge of your degree to a broader extent!

what do you think people! it was my grades that was actually putting me off medicine before...but know ive got AAAB in my as levels!

i need to make a desicion fast, and am looking for advice from anyone really, if you're a medicine or pharmacy student even better!

thanx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazzie)

i can already do most of - if not all of what the lead pharmacy does everyday. obviously i dont yet know how to handle invoices of the stock, but as i said thats just the buisesness part of it. he does know more than me about the medicines obviously, but in some sense you dont really need it, if you can see what i mean.
    Um I'm not being funny here but I doubt you really can do all of it or even most of it and if you do then you're obviously a genius.

A dispenser is labelling a prescription when it flashes up that there is an interaction between drug x and drug y on the prescription, can you look at them and decide within a few seconds whether this is okay or whether you need to contact the doctor who prescribed it?

Mrs Smith comes into your pharmacy and wants something for her cough but she's already taking drug a, b and c ... do you know what to recommend her considering the drugs she's already on?

Mr Jones comes into your pharmacy with his son who has a red itchy rash, do you know what you can recommend for him or do you need to refer him to the doctors?

Mrs Davies comes into your pharmacy with her two children who have head lice and asks you to recommend something. Do you know the important thing you need to ask her about her children and how this may affect your choice.

I could go on ...

I'm not meaning to be nasty but you've only spent one day and only just scratched the surface.

ReputationRep:
    Um I'm not being funny here but I doubt you really can do all of it or even most of it and if you do then you're obviously a genius.

A dispenser is labelling a prescription when it flashes up that there is an interaction between drug x and drug y on the prescription, can you look at them and decide within a few seconds whether this is okay or whether you need to contact the doctor who prescribed it?

Mrs Smith comes into your pharmacy and wants something for her cough but she's already taking drug a, b and c ... do you know what to recommend her considering the drugs she's already on?

Mr Jones comes into your pharmacy with his son who has a red itchy rash, do you know what you can recommend for him or do you need to refer him to the doctors?

Mrs Davies comes into your pharmacy with her two children who have head lice and asks you to recommend something. Do you know the important thing you need to ask her about her children and how this may affect your choice.

I could go on ...

I'm not meaning to be nasty but you've only spent one day and only just scratched the surface.
    OK fair enough you might get the odd occasional customer asking if he can take drug x whilst on drugs w,y and z. But I can understand why the person feels they've done well in a day! I used to work in a pharmacy for a year, and sometimes the pharmacist did pop out occasional and I would deal with the prescriptions. Being a pharmacist is not all that exciting. I would simply collect the drugs together, print a label off and give it out. Its really that simple the majority of the time. If anybody wanted to choose between medicine and pharamacy, I would choose medicine.

ReputationRep:
    yeh youre right...i know exactly what your saying, that is the part that i dont know about yet! and maybe i did jump the gun a bit, well quite alot!

but like for example when you talked about drug x and drug y, and phoning the doctor...thats the thing that doesnt happen as much as it should at the pharmasict i work at, and most community pharmasists as i was told!!

the pharmasict was only wirting into the computer what the prescription had said. and really there was minimal notice of what was given out as this is what is prescribed by the doctor....hmm...well that is what is supposed to happen, but here the pharmasis tis not given as much to think about as i thought he whould.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_cath)
    OK fair enough you might get the odd occasional customer asking if he can take drug x whilst on drugs w,y and z. But I can understand why the person feels they've done well in a day! I used to work in a pharmacy for a year, and sometimes the pharmacist did pop out occasional and I would deal with the prescriptions. Being a pharmacist is not all that exciting. I would simply collect the drugs together, print a label off and give it out. Its really that simple the majority of the time. If anybody wanted to choose between medicine and pharamacy, I would choose medicine.
    thats what i was trying to get at...im not so sure about pharmacy anymore

ReputationRep:

and for MOST of the above, it was see your local gp. Obviously there are some cases which a pharmasict can solve easier than me...but is it worth a
    5 year degree when your learning sooooo much yet putting hardly any of it to practise?

ReputationRep:
    if you want more personal patient contact try hospital pharmacy where you have to go on ward rounds and liase with doctors and nurses, sharing your expertise.
    http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/careers.../pharmacy.html

If you want absolute responsibilty of a patient and want a more caring role then that's more medicine.

ReputationRep:
    As hihihihi was hinting at, there is more to pharmacy than being a community pharmacist - industry, working on drugs trials, working in other sectors which require knowledge of drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Well the community pharmacy where you work is obviously very different to the one where I work. People are always coming in and asking to speak to the pharmacist for advice and he has A LOT of patient contact whether it be through people coming into the shop or ringing up to speak to him. There are a lot of people who come in regularly and you can see they get to know the staff well and I think that's really nice to know these people are appreciating the service you provide.

(Original post by Tazzie)
    and for MOST of the above, it was see your local gp. Obviously there are some cases which a pharmasict can solve easier than me...but is it worth a
    5 year degree when your learning sooooo much yet putting hardly any of it to practise?
    The local GP would hate you if you referred most of those cases.

A pharmacist knows what OTC medication they can sell if a person is already taking regular medication.

The rash one you may need to refer depending on what you decide it is, but how will you know what is it if you haven't learnt about it previously?

The headlice one is just a simple OTC sale depending on how old the children are and whether either of them is asthmatic.

I'm not trying to say what you're doing now isn't repetitive cause I know it is but you're not qualified to do much else. I always though I'd want to work in hospital pharmacy but after this summer I've realised that I wouldn't mind ending up in a community pharmacy because there is more to it than labelling and checking prescriptions and you do get patient contact.

ReputationRep:
    Thought some of you wannabe pharmacists might be interested in http://www.npfit.nhs.uk/etp.asp

Nice exciting topic you could raise in interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Thought some of you wannabe pharmacists might be interested in http://www.npfit.nhs.uk/etp.asp

Nice exciting topic you could raise in interview
    Thanks thats really useful
    I've been wondering what to talk about in the interview. I did a day of community pharmacy today (but in a dodgy area and there was a shooting the next road along so I thought it was safer to leave early). I have managed to arrange experience for a week in hospital pharmacy too, so the work experience front is looking good

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.