Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CNN, BBC, Buzzfeed, Guardian are all FAKE NEWS Watch

ReputationRep:
    They serve to protect the liberal metropolitan elite from being superseded by the will of the people. Trump won, Brexit won, yet they seek to delegitimise these movements by inducing fear among their viewers that somehow our countries are falling apart when they are really just being rebuilt from the rubble.

1) Russian hacking helped Trump- FAKE
    2) Brexit will lead to market turmoil- FAKE
    3) Trump did golden showers on prossies in Russia- FAKE

Learn that you're being lied to by #MSM. We, the hard working people of the Western world, are finally winning again and the elite media want to jeopardise this and make it as hard a ride as possible because they're passed off that they couldn't continue to rip us off. TRUE NEWS!

ReputationRep:
    This whole rhetoric that mainstream media are fake is complete garbage. These media outlets are heavily regulated and know that theyll lose all credibility if they make any accusations.

In terms of what you're saying, well in the case of number 1, the official report says otherwise and this is something that the Republican party, Democratic party, FBI, CIA, MI5 and MI6 are all in agreement with.

Number 2 is also false. The Media only quote legitimate independent sources when they try to predict the market. It's not false at all. It may end up being true, we havent even left the EU yet.

Number 3 is also false. Until all the evidence comes in, there is no way of verifying that at all. And once again, the media only reported on what other news outlets were saying, in this case Buzzfeed. False or not, it's yet to be confirmed and they have made it outstandingly clear that it may not be legitimate.

I think the people who claim mainstream media are fake are nothing but a bunch of anti establishment fanatics who've lost touch of reality. If you read these outlets youll find that they dont even show a huge amount of bias and also report well on the other side of the political spectrum too. Theyre regulated and professional.

And the anti establishment fanatics who tell us to stop reading mainstream media are often obessed with Breitbart, Infowars and the twitters of people like Stefan Molyeaux and Paul Joseph Watson who make completely fallacious and outright lies and yet people want to believe it because they suddenly seemed to have lost trust of everything around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highlyf)

Number 2 is also false. The Media only quote legitimate independent sources when they try to predict the market. It's not false at all. It may end up being true, we havent even left the EU yet.

Have you suddenly forgotten about the claims that there would be turmoil as soon as the Leave decision happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclePath)
    Have you suddenly forgotten about the claims that there would be turmoil as soon as the Leave decision happened?
    Have you suddenly forgotten that there was turmoil e.g. markets falling, pound collapsing in value and a rise in prices? Are you really that out of touch from reality? Do you not have anything else to refute in my original post because i've exposed people like you ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if turmoil is quite the right word, but I think the £ sterling would like a word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    I'm not sure if turmoil is quite the right word, but I think the £ sterling would like a word.
    Weaker pound -> Cheaper exports -> more trade and more economic growth -> higher wages. Looks good to me!

ReputationRep:
    Have you suddenly forgotten that there was turmoil e.g. markets falling, pound collapsing in value and a rise in prices? Are you really that out of touch from reality? Do you not have anything else to refute in my original post because i've exposed people like you ?
    Mainstream media called it "Apocalyptic" - the vast majority of Leave voters expected a dip in the pound, FTSE 250 and 100...

inb4 "No you had no clue".

ReputationRep:
    Since when was BBC fake news? Trump didn't mention BBC, not even Brexit. You are probably just calling it fake news because they mentioned a point that criticised Brexit (which is against your opinion).

The BBC doesn't criticise or give opinions about a certain movement. All BBC is doing is voicing those opinions (who were made by other people), whether in support or against Brexit.

(Original post by serions871)
    Trump won, Brexit won, yet they seek to delegitimise these movements
    !
    Believe it or not, just a side has won, doesn't mean that they are not subject to critisism.

ReputationRep:
    Care to mention a form of media which has not ever reported poor news?

ReputationRep:
    Mainstream media called it "Apocalyptic" - the vast majority of Leave voters expected a dip in the pound, FTSE 250 and 100...

inb4 "No you had no clue".
    do you have a link or are you just going to make slanderous claims? Because I highly doubt a credible source said it would be credible unless they were quoting someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverWater)
    Care to mention a form of media which has not ever reported poor news?
    Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge report, incidentally they happen to be the ones that the fake news media regards as 'fake news'

ReputationRep:
    The pound fell. What other turmoil has there been, Remainer?

Even the Bank of England has admitted they got it wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-admits-errors

As for the Treasury forecasts they were a complete joke, just as we Brexiteers always said they were:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...ct-fear-2017-1

Disappointed that Britain is doing so well perhaps?

https://www.ft.com/content/1a9dac92-...b-e7eb37a6aa8e

ReputationRep:
    Fox News, Breitbart, Drudge report, incidentally they happen to be the ones that the fake news media regards as 'fake news'
    So basically this is the old "my news sites are perfect, yours are the fake ones" argument (aka "I don't believe anything that doesn't already agree with the positions I hold") [
    http://www.businessinsider.com/here-...merica-2014-10 - note how trustworthiness of news sources is essentially partisan!]

All of the sites you trust have posted fake news or badly sourced stories in the past (here's just one Breitbart one that has been fact-checked:
    http://www.snopes.com/2016/08/07/bre...ke-news-again/ - there are many others). Other news organizations (the ones you hate - BBC, Guardian, etc) have also had examples of crappy journalism, but that doesn't mean that everything they post is fake news... just like people shouldn't automatically dismiss Fox or even Breitbart when they report on something. Instead, you should read widely across a number of sources (so that you are not getting trapped in a Partisan bubble), always check their attributions, and be ready to distrust even those sources that you find to be mostly on point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The pound fell. What other turmoil has there been, Remainer?

Even the Bank of England has admitted they got it wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-admits-errors

As for the Treasury forecasts they were a complete joke, just as we Brexiteers always said they were:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...ct-fear-2017-1

Disappointed that Britain is doing so well perhaps?

https://www.ft.com/content/1a9dac92-...b-e7eb37a6aa8e
    The pound collapsing and prices rising is enough to constitute as turmoil. If you disagree with that, then that is your opinion and is to do with the subjectivity of the word "turmoil".

You've somehow twisted this into a remainer vs brexiter debate. But im not going to catch the bait here.

You've quoted a guardian article here, the same news outlet that has been accused of being fake news. Do you see the irony there?

My point is that media outlets only report from other sources and by showing the guardian is reporting something that supports the other side of the political spectrum, you've reinforced my point

There are still plenty of legitimate sources that have reported of possible long term ramifications, not just the treasury. So I dont see why criticising the methodology for the treasury's findings means that it is somehow completely false. Also the treasury is an independent source and contains no bias.

Again, plenty of legitimate news sources have said that we did better than expected. But I wouldnt get so excited because we still havent even left the EU yet.

But more importantly, the immediate aftermath of brexit was a turmoil, and we still are in a bit of turmoil. the pound completely collapsed and there was a lot of uncertainty in the markets. Just because they recovered, doesnt mean there wasnt turmoil in the first point.

Even now, there is uncertainty and a lot is dependant upon the deal we get.

ReputationRep:
    The one that's really sunk low is The Independent.

They're openly reporting gibberish. Last week they ran a story "Hero barman saves woman from rape", which turned out to be a completely unverified single post on Whisper. I think the day after they posted a fake story about a woman being stalked on Instagram (that was several months old and already shown to be fake), and the day after a completely misrepresented story about cars being banned in Madrid. They ran more stories this week on celebrities attacking Trump at the Golden Globes than any other subject.

ReputationRep:
    They serve to protect the liberal metropolitan elite from being superseded by the will of the people.
    BBC Radio York. Those *******s.

ReputationRep:
    'Fake News' has to go 2nd behind 'cuck' as the laziest term of 2016. Tbf I'd hoped it would die out this year but oh well.

It's funny how Brexit and Trump supporters are so keen to jump to the conclusion that any bad thing about their leader must be false, there must be a conspiracy involving every single intelligence organisation, every newspaper and broadcasting company to bring down Trump, such that anything that gets posted is labelled Fake News. I mean, what evidence do you have to claim any of the Russian hacking allegations of the DNC was actually false, apart from your own infallible belief in God-Emperor Trump doing no wrong? Brexit hasn't actually happened yet, so claiming that the media was incorrect for stating it would be damaging to the UK economy is yet to be substantiated, but can't be proved false at this stage surely?

It's also funny how the same people rushing to claim everything posted about Trump is 'fake news' were so quick to claims that any allegation against Hillary, no matter how ludicrous (Pizzagate anyone?) was literal fact, painting her as an almost humorously corrupt shill whilst ignoring every Trump scandal as the MSM being 'biased'.

Remember 'Obama is a Muslim who isn't a US citizen?' I wonder who said that? Oh wait, it was Trump. That sounds pretty clearly like 'Fake News' but in that case I bet you wouldn't care at all.

ReputationRep:
    They serve to protect the liberal metropolitan elite from being superseded by the will of the people. Trump won, Brexit won, yet they seek to delegitimise these movements by inducing fear among their viewers that somehow our countries are falling apart when they are really just being rebuilt from the rubble.

1) Russian hacking helped Trump- FAKE
    2) Brexit will lead to market turmoil- FAKE
    3) Trump did golden showers on prossies in Russia- FAKE

Learn that you're being lied to by #MSM. We, the hard working people of the Western world, are finally winning again and the elite media want to jeopardise this and make it as hard a ride as possible because they're passed off that they couldn't continue to rip us off. TRUE NEWS!
    I agree with 1,2 &3 i'm afraid. You should try watching Russia today and al jazera, as well as reading the Times, sometimes at least, okay??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    'Fake News' has to go 2nd behind 'cuck' as the laziest term of 2016. Tbf I'd hoped it would die out this year but oh well.

It's funny how Brexit and Trump supporters are so keen to jump to the conclusion that any bad thing about their leader must be false, there must be a conspiracy involving every single intelligence organisation, every newspaper and broadcasting company to bring down Trump, such that anything that gets posted is labelled Fake News. I mean, what evidence do you have to claim any of the Russian hacking allegations of the DNC was actually false, apart from your own infallible belief in God-Emperor Trump doing no wrong? Brexit hasn't actually happened yet, so claiming that the media was incorrect for stating it would be damaging to the UK economy is yet to be substantiated, but can't be proved false at this stage surely?

It's also funny how the same people rushing to claim everything posted about Trump is 'fake news' were so quick to claims that any allegation against Hillary, no matter how ludicrous (Pizzagate anyone?) was literal fact, painting her as an almost humorously corrupt shill whilst ignoring every Trump scandal as the MSM being 'biased'.

Remember 'Obama is a Muslim who isn't a US citizen?' I wonder who said that? Oh wait, it was Trump. That sounds pretty clearly like 'Fake News' but in that case I bet you wouldn't care at all.
    You do realise that it was proved in America, a week or two ago, that Obama was not born in America, because his birth certificate was a sophisticated forgery? This was actually proved, my American friends tell me, so i wonder why this wasn't picked up by the UK media at all, huh???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    You do realise that it was proved in America, a week or two ago, that Obama was not born in America, because his birth certificate was a sophisticated forgery? This was actually proved, my American friends tell me, so i wonder why this wasn't picked up by the UK media at all, huh???
    uh maybe because it's not true? I'd like a source on that one, and not some Republican shill 'news' website like Breitbart or Obama-is-a-terrorist.com.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.