Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just recently received an offer for piano on your classical music BA 3 year course but was wondering if it is also possible to be involved in jazz groups there too? I also play the saxophone and have received jazz training so this is something I would very much like to be involved in

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a 1st year Pop student; haven't been super involved with lots of the groups myself so probably not the best person to answer, but I can tell you that yes, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get involved with ensembles outside of classical music It's a great thing and diversity + flexibility is much encouraged here. Just keep in mind that most, if not all, of the main ensembles such as the Big Band hold auditions during the first few weeks of enrolment.

Of course, it is also very much encouraged to form your own bands and ensembles too

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your response that's really helped!! I play the saxophone as well as piano so playing in jazz ensembles is very important to me despite the fact I'm not going to be studying jazz as part of my course!
    I also heard that you can apply to ensembles from the surrounding unis in Leeds- do many people do this?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenhan)
    I also heard that you can apply to ensembles from the surrounding unis in Leeds- do many people do this?

Thanks!!
    Depends on if those ensembles are supposed to be exclusive to their own uni or not, I don't really know to be honest, but otherwise i don't see why not

I don't think many people do this since there's already a lot of ensembles in LCoM that fits their needs, but that's probably a bit dependant on the person too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.