Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to escape bulimia but I don't want to become overweight or unfit Watch

ReputationRep:
    POSSIBLY TRIGGERING!!!!!!! EXIT IF YOU MIGHT BE AFFECTED!!!!!!!!

(Another heads up: I'm an old crusty lady of 23 so I'm probably a bit older than most of you guys on here. This is a pretty heavy post and I appreciate that it's unlikely to be something y'all can advise on. Nonetheless, I shall vent into the void and in return gain catharsis if nothing else

Again, please refrain from scrolling down if you might be triggered.)

Hey guys. I wonder if anyone with a similar experience might be able to help? Basically, I have bulimia and I want out. I've annihilated my social life and my familial life isn't much better. I haven't had a period in over a year and my heart rate is 34bpm, and all the appointments I'm having to attend to address these issues overlap heavily with my working hours (which has put my position under threat). Needless to say, it's the lynch pin around which my entire life revolves.

Now, since my BMI dipped below 18.5 a few weeks ago, I've been physically unable to carry out my workout to my previous standards. I simply lack the energy and strength. None of this comes as a surprise, obviously, because science etc. Unfortunately, this predicament doesn't align well with my bulimia because my main purging method is exercise. The other methods are strictly last resorts.

So my question is, if I temporarily cut back on the exercise until I've gained a kilogram or two, will my lost fitness return? How likely is it that these feelings of depletion have been caused by low bodyweight as opposed to something else? The last thing I want is to gain some weight and not notice any positive change. That's what I'm afraid of: gaining fat that comes with no perks and leaves me with an even worse body image... How can I reattain fitness without losing control?
    • Very Important Poster

What a considerate warning.

Purging is a bit dumb and unhealthy- not sue that exercie counts as purging? I will take your word for it that it is.
    What you need to understand is some of the knowledge behind health and fitness.

Cardio vascular fitness will improve your CV system, which is the main aspect of feeling out of breath as its heart and lungs. To get that back you just need to do it consistently and make sure you are pushing yourself. Running, swimming aerobics, bike, rower etc.

The downside is it burns a modest amount of calories, so you need to eat those to make sure you maintain or increase.

The thing you sound as though you are missing is strength exercises i.e lifting weights which will make your body stronger. Coupled with the correct nutrution then it will encourage increase muscle. Muscle is denser so it will look better and improve your shape. If you dont do any strength training then you are more likely to gain a greater % of fat assuming you increase weight.

Imo cut back on the cardio (no idea what you are doing) maybe do HIIT (10 mins 2 -3x a week) and focus on weights. Back it up with good nutrition including enough protein. You need to eat enough and in your case at a slight surplus if you wish to gain. Your fitness will come back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

Purging is a bit dumb and unhealthy- not sue that exercie counts as purging? I will take your word for it that it is.

Cardio vascular fitness will improve your CV system, which is the main aspect of feeling out of breath as its heart and lungs. To get that back you just need to do it consistently and make sure you are pushing yourself. Running, swimming aerobics, bike, rower etc.

The downside is it burns a modest amount of calories, so you need to eat those to make sure you maintain or increase.

The thing you sound as though you are missing is strength exercises i.e lifting weights which will make your body stronger. Coupled with the correct nutrution then it will encourage increase muscle. Muscle is denser so it will look better and improve your shape. If you dont do any strength training then you are more likely to gain a greater % of fat assuming you increase weight.

Imo cut back on the cardio (no idea what you are doing) maybe do HIIT (10 mins 2 -3x a week) and focus on weights. Back it up with good nutrition including enough protein. You need to eat enough and in your case at a slight surplus if you wish to gain. Your fitness will come back.
    Hey! Thanks for taking the time to write so much! You're right, purging is VERY dumb and VERY unhealthy, but it's also VERY addictive - that's the problem :eek: I only resort to vomiting once a week or less. I'm making an active effort to stamp that out.

Yeah, I didn't think exercise counted as purging either - until the doctor explained that it's a relatively new criterion for a bulimia diagnosis (when done excessively, I mean). I personally don't think my exercise was ever excessive (7-8km run every day) but the doctor decided it was when assessing it alongside my diet :dontknow:

How would you advise starting out on strength training? Like, I have NO upper body strength whatsoever I'd honestly be starting from scratch. What's the first step?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

Oh btw, is strength training safe for a female with a body fat percentage of around 13%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raaachek)
    POSSIBLY TRIGGERING!!!!!!! EXIT IF YOU MIGHT BE AFFECTED!!!!!!!!

(Another heads up: I'm an old crusty lady of 23 so I'm probably a bit older than most of you guys on here. This is a pretty heavy post and I appreciate that it's unlikely to be something y'all can advise on. Nonetheless, I shall vent into the void and in return gain catharsis if nothing else

Again, please refrain from scrolling down if you might be triggered.)

Hey guys. I wonder if anyone with a similar experience might be able to help? Basically, I have bulimia and I want out. I've annihilated my social life and my familial life isn't much better. I haven't had a period in over a year and my heart rate is 34bpm, and all the appointments I'm having to attend to address these issues overlap heavily with my working hours (which has put my position under threat). Needless to say, it's the lynch pin around which my entire life revolves.

Now, since my BMI dipped below 18.5 a few weeks ago, I've been physically unable to carry out my workout to my previous standards. I simply lack the energy and strength. None of this comes as a surprise, obviously, because science etc. Unfortunately, this predicament doesn't align well with my bulimia because my main purging method is exercise. The other methods are strictly last resorts.

So my question is, if I temporarily cut back on the exercise until I've gained a kilogram or two, will my lost fitness return? How likely is it that these feelings of depletion have been caused by low bodyweight as opposed to something else? The last thing I want is to gain some weight and not notice any positive change. That's what I'm afraid of: gaining fat that comes with no perks and leaves me with an even worse body image... How can I reattain fitness without losing control?
    Maybe be a normal person and actually eat some food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Maybe be a normal person and actually eat some food
    Mate, I eat loooooads, but the bulimia compels me to purge it. Hence I exercise excessively/vomit - ya dig?

ReputationRep:
    You need therapy first, because the solution to your problem requires the inevitable fat gain, a women at 13% bodyfat is like death level man, I can give you advice but it's all going to be on you. So let's get started. I'd suggest firstly reducing your cardio, probably to about 400 cals worth of running twice a week. Don't really know how much running this is but you use a treadmill or something to track it, and also doing stronglifts 5x5 or any beginner routine which has you lifting 3x a week. It doesn't matter what weight you use as long as you follow the program so don't worry. Next you want to find out your basal metabolic rate and then add about 600 calories onto how much you get. Now this is all to begin with, what you're going to need is need to weigh yourself and see your progress, as everyone is different these methods require dynamic changes to what is occurring. If you're increasing the weight like the program says and you're gaining weight then great, if you're stalling (As in not progressing in weight) and your weight isn't going up you're going to need to up the calories. If you want to minimise fat gain then I'd say try to gain as much as about 0.5-1lbs a week, you're starting off so that's alright. Obviously again fat gain is going to be inevitable, what you need to do is gain weight and become healthy and then think about maybe doing on a weigh loss diet but only after you've gained significant weight to the point where you aren't a walking skeleton. This is going to be hard and you'll obviously want to quit but it's all on you, I know you can do it, good luck . If you need any more help you can PM me . Also make sure you eat healthily, like lots of fruit, veg, make sure you get in your fats by nuts and other stuff, your proteins as well be it from meat or beans/anything really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nulliverse)
    You need therapy first, because the solution to your problem requires the inevitable fat gain, a women at 13% bodyfat is like death level man, I can give you advice but it's all going to be on you. So let's get started. I'd suggest firstly reducing your cardio, probably to about 400 cals worth of running twice a week. Don't really know how much running this is but you use a treadmill or something to track it, and also doing stronglifts 5x5 or any beginner routine which has you lifting 3x a week. It doesn't matter what weight you use as long as you follow the program so don't worry. Next you want to find out your basal metabolic rate and then add about 600 calories onto how much you get. Now this is all to begin with, what you're going to need is need to weigh yourself and see your progress, as everyone is different these methods require dynamic changes to what is occurring. If you're increasing the weight like the program says and you're gaining weight then great, if you're stalling (As in not progressing in weight) and your weight isn't going up you're going to need to up the calories. If you want to minimise fat gain then I'd say try to gain as much as about 0.5-1lbs a week, you're starting off so that's alright. Obviously again fat gain is going to be inevitable, what you need to do is gain weight and become healthy and then think about maybe doing on a weigh loss diet but only after you've gained significant weight to the point where you aren't a walking skeleton. This is going to be hard and you'll obviously want to quit but it's all on you, I know you can do it, good luck . If you need any more help you can PM me . Also make sure you eat healthily, like lots of fruit, veg, make sure you get in your fats by nuts and other stuff, your proteins as well be it from meat or beans/anything really.
    Fabulous advice, thanks! Question: What the hell is a stronglift 5x5? I know literally nothing about weight training :eek:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.