Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    How can I give my parents my mock results when I already know I've done awful?
    Today they shouted at me because I told them I hadn't tried my hardest at my mocks.
    My targets to what I got are as follows -
    Maths -8 - achieved 7
    English -7 - achieved 5 and 6
    History-A - achieved C
    Science -A/A* - achieved B
    Triple science - A - achieved B/C
    RE - A - achieved C
    Geography - A* - don't know yet.
    Drama - A - achieved B/C
    Spanish - A - achieved C/D
    My parents think I don't care and don't try at all and don't listen or believe me when I say I do care.
    My mum says she'd be happy with all A's at GCSE. My dad is a bit easier going than her in general.
    What can I do? Results day is Friday. They are going to take away everything I do in my free time if I've done bad and I can accept that as I deserve it but what can I do now?
    Thanks
    Matt

ReputationRep:
    It honestly annoys me when parents expect their kids to get As in everything. Unless youre planning to go into something like medicine or wanting to go to oxbridge you'll be fine. I didnt get a single A in my GCSE and my mum was annoyed but its not the end of the world because im doing well in college and im even starting uni in september. Anyway theyre just mocks, most people tend to do much better on their actual exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    It honestly annoys me when parents expect their kids to get As in everything. Unless youre planning to go into something like medicine or wanting to go to oxbridge you'll be fine. I didnt get a single A in my GCSE and my mum was annoyed but its not the end of the world because im doing well in college and im even starting uni in september. Anyway theyre just mocks, most people tend to do much better on their actual exams.
    Thanks, that really helps.
    Although, I still don't know how to deal with how mad my patronising parents are going to be!
    How can I break it to them?

ReputationRep:
    Have to agree with the comment above...bugs me when parents scold their kids for getting bad grades instead of helping them get better ones...
    I don't know what your parents are like, but if it were my parents I would have an argument with them if they tried to confront me about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ions)
    Have to agree with the comment above...bugs me when parents scold their kids for getting bad grades instead of helping them get better ones...
    I don't know what your parents are like, but if it were my parents I would have an argument with them if they tried to confront me about it.
    When I try to argue or question them my mum says I have no right to question her, so I say the same back so she patronises me with the 'you don't pay the bills' even though I'm not old enough to have a job!
    I can't win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gooner2105)
    When I try to argue or question them my mum says I have no right to question her, so I say the same back so she patronises me with the 'you don't pay the bills' even though I'm not old enough to have a job!
    I can't win.
    I thought that might be the case, in which case I would wait until the results came out personally and pretend you didn't know beforehand. Seems a bit difficult to confront them on the topic

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    How can I give my parents my mock results when I already know I've done awful?
    Today they shouted at me because I told them I hadn't tried my hardest at my mocks.
    My targets to what I got are as follows -
    Maths -8 - achieved 7
    English -7 - achieved 5 and 6
    History-A - achieved C
    Science -A/A* - achieved B
    Triple science - A - achieved B/C
    RE - A - achieved C
    Geography - A* - don't know yet.
    Drama - A - achieved B/C
    Spanish - A - achieved C/D
    My parents think I don't care and don't try at all and don't listen or believe me when I say I do care.
    My mum says she'd be happy with all A's at GCSE. My dad is a bit easier going than her in general.
    What can I do? Results day is Friday. They are going to take away everything I do in my free time if I've done bad and I can accept that as I deserve it but what can I do now?
    Thanks
    Matt
    Most of those aren't too far away; nearly everyone improves in the real GCSEs. The purpose of mocks [I'm a teacher btw] is to show you where you are now and to help focus your revision.

Mocks also tend to be much closer together than the real exams so you have less time to prepare.

What do your teachers think?

I worry more about people who do really well as they tend to stop working ..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that really helps.
    Although, I still don't know how to deal with how mad my patronising parents are going to be!
    How can I break it to them?
    Just tell them you have tried and be happy that you have at least passed your subjects.

Just like my friend said to me, its a 'learning journey'. Not everything is always going to go really well. If they dont like it then tough, they just have to learn to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it a competition to see who can get the most As A*s if you get what you need to get onto whatever you want to do thats more than enpugh in jy eyes.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about what your parents think. It's your life, not theirs. Also a mock is exactly what it says it is: a mock. It's not the real thing. You have plenty of time to improve before the real exams. I'm sure if you tell your parents this and remind them that these exams are pretty much meaningless in the grand scheme of things, they may cool down a bit.

Also unless your school are super fast, your mock exams probably only tested you on just a few topics in the specification - there are still more bits to learn before the summer exams, so these mock exams are, in my opinion, just a fancier version of an end of unit test, they are not a completely accurate reflection of how well you will do in the real exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.