Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I studied Maths with Computer science and left after my second year. I took a year out to work and applied in September to universities . I applied for a Computer Science degree and received an unconditional offer for a foundation year rather than the first year entry.
    My grades are bellow entry requirements however considering my A levels are all relevant and I have studied in a relevant degree I would have thought I would be qualified enough.
    Looking at the module list nearly 100% of what will be studying would be repeating previous studied topics.
    I will do the foundation year if necessary as the degree is the perfect for what I want to do. I was wondering if it is worth contacting the university and appealing the to go straight to first year?
    In addition to my worries that the year would be a waste funding the extra year would be an issue considering I only have 2 years worth of student fiance available to me.
    On the university website it does mention they tend to offer foundation years to students who have a gap in their education.

Not sure if this is something anyone else has dealt with but any insight would be appreciated.

My A levels are Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Did you apply for a course with a foundation year instead of a regular 3-year degree?

If yes, you might want to rectify that on your application.

If no, contact the university and tell that that you applied for a 3-year degree and mention that you do not need a foundation year because all of your A-levels are relevant, you did two years of a relevant degree beforehand, you have already studies like everything in their foundation year as an undergraduate student, and your gap is not big enough for them to offer you a foundation year. By their current logic, any A-level student who does a gap year would have to receive a foundation year offer rather than a degree offer (which would not happen, of course), so it would be unfair to make you do a foundation year you do not need when people who need it more did not have to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Did you apply for a course with a foundation year instead of a regular 3-year degree?

If yes, you might want to rectify that on your application.

If no, contact the university and tell that that you applied for a 3-year degree and mention how all of your A-levels are relevant, how you did two years of a relevant degree beforehand, and how your gap is not big enough for them to offer you a foundation year.
    Thanks for your ultra quick response! I definitely applied for the 3 year course but wasn't sure if a discussion about it was possible about on the offer. I thought foundation courses were mainly for people without a required A level or qualification.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABens)
    Thanks for your ultra quick response! I definitely applied for the 3 year course but wasn't sure if a discussion about it was possible about on the offer. I thought foundation courses were mainly for people without a required A level or qualification.
    You are welcome!

Foundation years are for people who do not have the relevant A-levels or equivalent qualifications and for people who have not been in education for like ten years. My A-levels are all in social sciences/humanities (with psychology as my sole 'science' ), so a Computer Science foundation year would be for ME, not for you.

Of course it is! It is absurd of them to make you do a foundation year when you have all the relevant A-levels and two years of an undergraduate degree in two very relevant areas complete. You were out of education for a single year, not for ten. I suggest you negotiate with them. If not, well, apply to a university who will not make you do something so unnecessary as a foundation year when you already have a good basis for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    You are welcome!

Foundation years are for people who do not have the relevant A-levels or equivalent qualifications and for people who have not been in education for like ten years. My A-levels are all in social sciences/humanities (with psychology as my sole 'science' ), so a Computer Science foundation year would be for ME, not for you.

Of course it is! It is absurd of them to make you do a foundation year when you have all the relevant A-levels and two years of an undergraduate degree in two very relevant areas complete. You were out of education for a single year, not for ten. I suggest you negotiate with them. If not, well, apply to a university who will not make you do something so unnecessary as a foundation year when you already have a good basis for the subject.
    Sorry to clarify I took a year out for work however missed the application window and applied the in September. So I was out for two years. Regardless I agree that it is a little absurd for me to study a course designed for someone who hasn't done maths at A level when I have 2 years of university level maths.
    Thanks for your advice I will contact them asap.

ReputationRep:
    The problem methinks is that although the subjects are relevant, the grade is lower than what the uni's asked for. The uni could've just rejected your application, instead of offering you a foundation year.

You can either accept the offer or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    The problem methinks is that although the subjects are relevant, the grade is lower than what the uni's asked for. The uni could've just rejected your application, instead of offering you a foundation year.

You can either accept the offer or not.
    I do understand that, ultimately I am happy to do the year if that is the only option but if avoidable going to the first year would be by far more affordable for me financially.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.