The Student Room Group

AS Politics help?

I'm studying AS politics at college among two other (thankfully linear) a levels, and while I really enjoy it and want to study it at university, my lecturer wasn't brilliant at teaching us. We have a new lecturer now and he is awesome, he's really good at getting all of the syllabus out and keeping information fresh in our minds, but we've only had him a week and I have a mock exam on Friday which I can see the entire class failing! Anyone who's studied AS politics, do you have any revision tips/things I should know in regards to questions in the exam? I need politics to be my star grade but I'm not good at reading/writing revision, I'm much better at listening! If only there was an A-level Gov. and Politics podcast :P
Timing is the most important thing I can't stress this enough. Try practise questions. I made the mistake of not fully taking into account timing in a recent exam and only managed a C due to the fact I didn't even finish. Start with your 25 marker as this means you will gain more marks.
I'm currently doing A2 politics and I got 100 UMS on paper one for my final AS Exam. The thing that was most important is to use up to date RECENT examples. Every point you make, back it up. Also, watch the news, keep up to date with politics, if your doing UK politics like I did, watch PMQs, visit news articles on what parties are doing etc. The reason to keep up to date is because those who set the questions take advantage of this. E.g coincidentially, my 2016 paper asked a Question on how Devolution/The EU enhances representative democracy and Whether the Labour Party was faithful to its traditional values. These questions were put on June 2016, with the News constantly talking about the EU referendum and how Jeremy Corbyn is changing labour. The questions therefore became easier to predict and if you regularly kept up to date with politics the questions will be easier. Also learn how to structure for each question and use an example for every point.
Reply 3
Up to date examples, know your definitions, good structure to essays, and timing. I can't stress timing enough (especially if you want to study it at uni)! I read Politics at university level, and time is all of the essence.
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn
Timing is the most important thing I can't stress this enough. Try practise questions. I made the mistake of not fully taking into account timing in a recent exam and only managed a C due to the fact I didn't even finish. Start with your 25 marker as this means you will gain more marks.

Hi do you do As Law? because i would like to ask you some questions that i need hhelp with, if you do please let me know thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Airmed
Up to date examples, know your definitions, good structure to essays, and timing. I can't stress timing enough (especially if you want to study it at uni)! I read Politics at university level, and time is all of the essence.

Hi do you do As Law? because i would like to ask you some questions that i need hhelp with, if you do please let me know thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AhsanIqbal14
I'm currently doing A2 politics and I got 100 UMS on paper one for my final AS Exam. The thing that was most important is to use up to date RECENT examples. Every point you make, back it up. Also, watch the news, keep up to date with politics, if your doing UK politics like I did, watch PMQs, visit news articles on what parties are doing etc. The reason to keep up to date is because those who set the questions take advantage of this. E.g coincidentially, my 2016 paper asked a Question on how Devolution/The EU enhances representative democracy and Whether the Labour Party was faithful to its traditional values. These questions were put on June 2016, with the News constantly talking about the EU referendum and how Jeremy Corbyn is changing labour. The questions therefore became easier to predict and if you regularly kept up to date with politics the questions will be easier. Also learn how to structure for each question and use an example for every point.

Reply 7
Original post by Pyschh

No, I never studied Law at A Level. Sorry. :redface:
Original post by Pyschh

No sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending