Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Parliamentary Labour Party sends a report to Constituency Labour Parties detailing the voting behaviour of MPs in parliament. If they don't tow the party line this reporr is most unfavourable.
    This is not always the case, the local parties when run by 'old' labour often want to see their MP vote against the government more frequently.

also i agree with whoever said this forum is turning into a look-how-many-political-terms-i-know brawl and is not a useful debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No they don't have to. But if they value their career they'll do what the whips bloody well tell them to do.
    But there's been plenty of rebellions recently.

ReputationRep:
    There's also pleanty stories of MPs being physically intimidated by whips to vote for the Govt. If you read political biographies it soon becomes apparant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    There's also pleanty stories of MPs being physically intimidated by whips to vote for the Govt. If you read political biographies it soon becomes apparant.
    Could you name a few MPs who have been intimidated? j/w

ReputationRep:
    my local MP, Nigel Jones Lib Dem Cheltenham guided myself and my family around the Houses of Parliament and told us of whips being physically intimidated, apparantly having seen grown men cry. I will take his word for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegoose)
    my local MP, Nigel Jones Lib Dem Cheltenham guided myself and my family around the Houses of Parliament and told us of whips being physically intimidated, apparantly having seen grown men cry. I will take his word for it.
    OMG MPs crying because of whips?! :eek:

If so this sucks.

ReputationRep:
    The US congresssional system is far inferior to our Parliamentary system.
    In America their system is plagued by gridlock and pork barrell politics. The Brits are FAR SUPERIOR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    The US congresssional system is far inferior to our Parliamentary system...he Brits are FAR SUPERIOR.
    I take it you're British then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    The US congresssional system is far inferior to our Parliamentary system.
    In America their system is plagued by gridlock and pork barrell politics. The Brits are FAR SUPERIOR.
    The american government is just an imperfect copy of ours. Like everything they do they have copied it off someone else. I don't think an american has ever managed to do anything without stealing the idea off someone else. No, sorry, they did invent condensed milk. Yeah, thats it, the sum of 200 years, Condensed Milk, says it all really doesnt it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    The american government is just an imperfect copy of ours. Like everything they do they have copied it off someone else. I don't think an american has ever managed to do anything without stealing the idea off someone else. No, sorry, they did invent condensed milk. Yeah, thats it, the sum of 200 years, Condensed Milk, says it all really doesnt it!!
    I wonder if you realise how increcibly stupid that comment is? How incredibly ignorant it is? How can you not consider all of the medical advances we have made? We have made unprecedented advances in medicine, technology, weapons, construction, and science. We put a man on the moon! We just landed a probe on mars! We've revolutionized the communications industry. I do believe that you must live your life inside of a deep dark cave with nothing but condensed milk making it in.

(Original post by moncal)
    I wonder if you realise how increcibly stupid that comment is? How incredibly ignorant it is? How can you not consider all of the medical advances we have made? We have made unprecedented advances in medicine, technology, weapons, construction, and science. We put a man on the moon! We just landed a probe on mars! We've revolutionized the communications industry. I do believe that you must live your life inside of a deep dark cave with nothing but condensed milk making it in.
    You'll stick a bunch of decadent *******s.

ReputationRep:
    I am english but i agree with mocal on this. I hate the mindless anti-american attitude of a vocal minority in this country who cannot back up their irrational hatred. You say the American government is an imperfect copy of ours. The constitution was written with the purpose of avoiding a system like the one in Britain and as a result the institutions and government is not a copy but a framework for democracy that has been copied by many fledgling democracies since.

ReputationRep:
    Biggles try to make an argument about the US without the word "decadant" because I doubt you can.

(Original post by USUK1)
    Biggles try to make an argument about the US without the word "decadant" because I doubt you can.
    Fine, you degenerate yank.

ReputationRep:
    decadent, degenerate. Try something else.

it's interesting how u criticize me as a degenerate yet you have no time for jews, gays, americans, hispanics, debate without recourse to insults. If you are enlightened then I am quite happy to be a decadent, degenerate.

(Original post by USUK1)
    decadent, degenerate. Try something else.
    Debased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    The american government is just an imperfect copy of ours. Like everything they do they have copied it off someone else.
    Even the famous US Constitution has parts copied from the Magna Carta

ReputationRep:
    Biggles you amuse me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Could you name a few MPs who have been intimidated? j/w
    Paul Marsden, former Labour and now Lib Dem MP for one of the Shropshire constitutencies (Shrewsbury & Atchison or something like that I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Even the famous US Constitution has parts copied from the Magna Carta
    Actually, the US constitution draws much of it's inspiration from the French constitution.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.