Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Actually, the US constitution draws much of it's inspiration from the French constitution.
    I'm pretty sure that there are bits of the Magna Carta in there, there may well be other stuff from other countries too. Then again it might prefer the French one due to their history.

I thought habaeus corpus (sp) was once part of the US Constitution? I would look it up but it gets changed over time , but will have a browse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I'm pretty sure that there are bits of the Magna Carta in there, there may well be other stuff from other countries too. Then again it might prefer the French one due to their history.

I thought habaeus corpus (sp) was once part of the US Constitution? I would look it up but it gets changed over time , but will have a browse.
    At least one of the HC principles is still to be found dirrectly in the USC; that the government must present an accused and arrested person before an impartial judge in order to prove that there exists just cause to hold that person against his or her will.

The other element to HC "the Great Writ" I think still exists at common law but I don't think it was ever written into the body of the USC.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.