Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do drugs cause crime? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since that's the question of my essay, I thought of making something constructive out of my procrastination, and ask you guys about your opinion on the subject!

ReputationRep:
    I think prohibition causes crime. There'd be no profit for gangs selling drugs if you could get them in a shop.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can say yes. Having drugs in possession and selling is a crime in itself plus if you're under the influence of drugs it may alter your physiological state causing you to act in ways which may be illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    I think prohibition causes crime. There'd be no profit for gangs selling drugs if you could get them in a shop.
    good point, and also if they at least followed the dutch model and legalised some drugs they would separate the markets, so not everyone would have to mix with gangs and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    I guess you can say yes. Having drugs in possession and selling is a crime in itself plus if you're under the influence of drugs it may alter your physiological state causing you to act in ways which may be illegal.
    very correct, already wrote an extended paragraph on this very point

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes they do. We should severely increase the sanctions for people caught in possesion of drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    Yes, yes they do. We should severely increase the sanctions for people caught in possesion of drugs.
    can you expand?

ReputationRep:
    They cause mad-scientists to get paid, which is bad.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by elekro)
    Since that's the question of my essay, I thought of making something constructive out of my procrastination, and ask you guys about your opinion on the subject!

What constitutes a crime is set by us and there are specific drug related crimes.
    The amount of specific drug crime is dependent on the laws we set.

There are additional areas though when you talk about what the impact of drugs are? People need to pay for drugs so theres increased things like burglary and theft to pay for it (thise that dont have the money).
    Increased violence and increased financial crime to launder the proceeds.

There is an argument which says decriminalisation might reduce crime as it lowers prices, but then the opposite is you have more people out of control and more incidents.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If one takes heroin and becomes addicted, spending all ones' money, one does tend to resort to crime to raise sources of finance.

ReputationRep:
    Well surely by definition, posssessing drugs is a crim,e so tehcnically yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What constitutes a crime is set by us and there are specific drug related crimes.
    The amount of specific drug crime is dependent on the laws we set.

There are additional areas though when you talk about what the impact of drugs are? People need to pay for drugs so theres increased things like burglary and theft to pay for it (thise that dont have the money).
    Increased violence and increased financial crime to launder the proceeds.

There is an argument which says decriminalisation might reduce crime as it lowers prices, but then the opposite is you have more people out of control and more incidents.
    good one, do you study it or did you just read up on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Yep and the CIA control the drug trade in particular the poppy fields in Afghanisation (another convenient excuse for zionist invasion). Decriminalising drugs and guns would actually be vastly beneficial but the global white collar mafia want disorder and chaos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    But not if they're city boy cokeheads - they're just letting their hair down after a hard week, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlobalGayAgenda)
    But not if they're city boy cokeheads - they're just letting their hair down after a hard week, right?
    That's something I want to write about but surprise surprise it's hard to find academic evidence :P

ReputationRep:
    Drugs do cause crime.
    Some people may spend all their money on drugs, and then rob, mug and burgle people to get cash to continue buying drugs.
    But I suppose it depnds on what drugs they are.

ReputationRep:
    You need to define "drug". Does capol cause crime? Probaby not. Does heroin? More likely.

Also if you mean "illegal psychoactive substances" then it's not a yes or no answer. Different compounds have different affects on you and different brain chemistries cause the drugs to act differently.

Another thing is the definition of crime. In England just the possession of these chemicals is illegal so technically it's all a crime. In Portugal taking drugs is not a crime and they've actually had a reduced crime rate as a result.
    • Very Important Poster

good one, do you study it or did you just read up on the subject?
    Try these.

Just read the executive summary for the report.

http://www.drugwise.org.uk/how-much-...-drug-related/

https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/researc...er/2013-08.pdf

ReputationRep:
    My only input here is from my work. I am the medic at a local uni nightclub and most of the people arrested throughout the night have taken something. One girl last weekend honestly seemed like she needed an exorcism, she was manic. She started fighting the police and then touched one of them up because she had no idea what she was doing! I've seen her before she's normal otherwise. Found out later it was E's as it usually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    but then the opposite is you have more people out of control and more incidents.
    Portugal disagrees. In 2001, possession/usage was decriminalised, and the following happened between 2001 and 2007:

• Increased uptake of treatment.
    • Reduction in new HIV diagnoses amongst drug users by 17%
    • Reduction in drug related deaths, although this reduction has decreased in later years. The number of drug related deaths is now almost on the same level as before the Drug strategy was implemented. However, this may be accounted for by improvement in measurement practices, which includes a doubling of toxicological autopsies now being performed, meaning that more drugs related deaths are likely to be recorded.
    • Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%. It has been proposed that this effect may have been related to the candour of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use. However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal, while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe. The increase in drug use observed among adults in Portugal was not greater than that seen in nearby countries that did not change their drug laws.
    • Drug use among adolescents (13-15 yrs) and "problematic" users declined.
    • Drug-related criminal justice workloads decreased.
    • Decreased street value of most illicit drugs, some significantly
    • The number of drug related deaths has reduced from 131 in 2001 to 20 in 2008.

So yes, whilst on the surface it may seem like more people are using drugs due to implementation of this law, there are varying factors to take into account. And, as you can see, drug-related crime and drug usage amongst the "vulnerable" has dropped.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.