Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Sorry if this has been posted already.

I just want to know the difference between racism and racial prejudice and examples of both

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jalana)
    Hi all

Sorry if this has been posted already.

I just want to know the difference between racism and racial prejudice and examples of both

Thanks
    if we are just talking semantics here, then racism is defined as:

"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior".

So all racial prejudice is racism, but racism comprises more than just racial prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    Racial prejudice is making a judgement about someone based exclusively on their race, interestingly it doesn't seem all prejudice is inherently racist - for example positive prejudice wouldn't fit the definition as it excludes "based on the belief that one's own race is superior". from its reasoning ie Asians are stereotyped as being awesome at maths but this is not racist - even as a prejudice - as it does not project or come from a basis of racial superiority to Asians.

This is somewhat a fine line to walk, for example James Watson caused a stir by developing research which indicated blacks (specifically Africans) have a lower average IQ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...rs-394898.html and this was called racist. I havent looked at the study so I've got no idea if its any good (I simply don't care if its true or false, individuals render the trends irrelevant) but the salient point is thus;
    (a) Did he have a prejudice of superiority? Did he examine this assuming the white man to be smarter? That would be racist,
    (b) If not, did he conduct an honest and rigorous study? If he is merely concluding results based on general testing of racial difference then arguably that's not racist for example it's known such differences exist with white people only ever running a sub 10s 100m once in history.

So is Mr Watson a racist? Does that matter IF he's right?

What about 'reverse is true statements' ie if I say black people are better runners than white people, which is not based on superiority as its a statement about a different race being superior, does it become a statement of superiority if a black person says the equally true 'white people are worse runners than black people'? Is the superiority described abstract or direct? Does it mean as a whole or in each individual instance.

My point is, racism and racial prejudice are different in definition (as I hope I explained) but also nuanced topics in and of themselves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.