Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To be a lab rat or an egg donor? Advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK im short on cash and owe a lot of schools and want to go back to school and don't have the money too. I need easy money. I know there's a study for the flu its a lumbar puncture and you stay for like 16 days and eventually get 8500 but I think its 3-6 months long. I am concerned though of Cali studies because of parexel and the controversial situation where participants experienced organ failure.

I want to try egg donation its 5500-10000 bucks after the egg retrieval procedure. But I'm not at all sure I'll make it or have a chance. I am a virgin so its hard to get my doctor to get me a papsmear. My doctor kept putting it off. And I'm pretty old for that. Also if I was cleared for pap I still have hormonal panel to pass and I had two panels done and one said I was normal that was the first one but my prolactin level was 24.5 and the highest it can be is 29. The repeat was done and I was at 35.5 for prolactin. They want my hormonal panel done on the third day of my period which my first panel was on the second of third day of my cycle and came up normal range of 24.5 but I also read prolactin levels have to do with sleep and they change in the day the agency I'm with does all appt in the morning so my prolactin levels would be pretty high probably higher than either test. Unless I tried waking up at like 12 or 1 o'clock in the middle of the night. Also there's the whole issue that I never received my results so I don't know really any of my results exactly other than my Dr. Saying they were OK. Other than that I have no abnormalities that I know of. Also added to prolactin is dopamine which controls prolactin levels. I think my dopamine levels are low because I am highly addictive depressed in the winter a little lazy and have add tendencies. I want to boost dopamine levels by exercise to keep prolactin low but I read that exercise can bring prolactin up. Also I have a lot of stress which I know can heighten prolactin as well. Also my doctor never checked for macroprolactin which could be why my prolactin was a little higger. Thirdly I think it could take forever to get anyone interested in the first place. Even though the agency approved me while knowing I'm mixed raced I'm clearly not white. But I'm also not very subsaharan African in appearance. I'm half Egyptian half subsaharan African heritage. And much of that is mixed. People usually think I'm middle eastern or north African. How often does someone of this ethnic background actually need a donor to begin with? They did say there is a demand for mena donors though. But mena people have whiter skin usually. My skin shifts depending on ho much sun I get and on my pictures depending if I'm close up or far away. My skin type is a dark 4 on the Fitzpatrick scale. I've been told I look southern Egyptian many times. Black Americans usually know I'm not black american also. But on the flip side the risk seems minimum. Unlike being a lab rat in Cali. But I'm pretty sure I'd not get more than 5500 pay out of it plus tax deductions. Which could very well be halfof what I'd get in Cali with research studies. But the process if I got through would only be 3-4 months... So quicker money. Which should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you're not British as you can't sell your eggs in the UK.

Egg donation isn't risk free, from what I've read it's a physically hard. You have take lots of hormones to force your body to do something it wouldn't do naturally (produce that many eggs at once). Plus you need to remember that the aim is for those eggs to become a baby. Would it bother you that your biological offspring is out there? What rights do donor kids have in your country? In some countries at 18 they get access to their records and can contact their donors. Could you handle it if someone turned up in 18 years wanting a relationship?

Are you definitely eligible for the medical trials? I looked into doing some a few years ago and most of the ones I found were only open to men or post menopausal women because you the risk of testing on a women who was pregnant but not aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainMakesWhisky)
    I'm assuming you're not British as you can't sell your eggs in the UK.

Egg donation isn't risk free, from what I've read it's a physically hard. You have take lots of hormones to force your body to do something it wouldn't do naturally (produce that many eggs at once). Plus you need to remember that the aim is for those eggs to become a baby. Would it bother you that your biological offspring is out there? What rights do donor kids have in your country? In some countries at 18 they get access to their records and can contact their donors. Could you handle it if someone turned up in 18 years wanting a relationship?

Are you definitely eligible for the medical trials? I looked into doing some a few years ago and most of the ones I found were only open to men or post menopausal women because you the risk of testing on a women who was pregnant but not aware of it.
    I'm a virgin so I have no issue with the abstinence part of medical studies. I have good endurance for most medications in patch form but not sure my reaction in injection forms.

I'm also in america we can sell pur eggs here I know there's an option of anonymous as oppose to known donors. Thats about it. But I wouldn't mind either way. I don't mind the medications as I'd have to take medication with a research study anyway. The self injection will be a feet I have to accomplish when the time comes but I have no problem with the process at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDJoe23)
    I'm a virgin so I have no issue with the abstinence part of medical studies. I have good endurance for most medications in patch form but not sure my reaction in injection forms.

I'm also in america we can sell pur eggs here I know there's an option of anonymous as oppose to known donors. Thats about it. But I wouldn't mind either way. I don't mind the medications as I'd have to take medication with a research study anyway. The self injection will be a feet I have to accomplish when the time comes but I have no problem with the process at all
    They wouldn't accept abstinence. Obviously it will depend on the trial but the vast majority I found were for men only with some allowing women who were on long term contraception like the coil or implant.

I don't think you can really say you're ok with medication as you'll have to take medication no matter what. The treatments involved in different medical trials will be different and the egg donation process will be different again. Each option needs considering individually and lots of research done on what it involves and people's experiences.

Plus it doesn't have to be one or the other, you could look into it and decide neither is worth the risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainMakesWhisky)
    They wouldn't accept abstinence. Obviously it will depend on the trial but the vast majority I found were for men only with some allowing women who were on long term contraception like the coil or implant.

I don't think you can really say you're ok with medication as you'll have to take medication no matter what. The treatments involved in different medical trials will be different and the egg donation process will be different again. Each option needs considering individually and lots of research done on what it involves and people's experiences.

Plus it doesn't have to be one or the other, you could look into it and decide neither is worth the risks.
    The studies I've been in have accepted abstinence. I am physically a virgin so they could easily check if they needed to. I've been practicing since birth

I've never been in that big of a study though. Which is what scares me because that amount must mean a large risk. Larger than anything I've dealt with.

The studies I've done usually below 800 besides two one was above 1000 my recent one and the other before that was "big" for me over 3000. And I puked 3 times and was constipated and had to eat like that for 18 days 9 days in a row twice. And got disqualified from inpatient due to anemic for months afterwards. That was a little over 1/3 of that amount the Cali study is offering so idk about what their medication would do. I looked at the side effects of egg donor medication its silly stuff like bloating nothing too serious. More the issue is injecting myself since I've never done that before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.