Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    opportunities for research are very limited for undergraduates even at the University of Oxford.
    Are you sure about that? I found it pretty easy to get a research placement and I know many other undergraduates who have done similar things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    You can also find a job in the UK to!!
    Not really. If you aren't a British citizen or EU national, you study visa will limit the hours you can work, and there's no way you can pay for everything working 20 hours per week.

Not to mention Oxford doesn't typically allow undergraduates to work during term time.

(Original post by john2054)
    Oxford is also super competitive. It is literally one of the best in the UK if not the world.
    Asian countries generally have school-leavers with grades much higher than their British counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    IT'S SO FRUSTRATING, that PhD and Masters has so much funding, but the bachelors degree scholarships are practically barren.
    Undergraduates don't typically produce research that is worth the funding. Funding for postgraduate degrees are typically for the research rather than the learning expect of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    Fairly certain international students have to pay it outright and very certain their fees never get written off...
    Not outright. Year by year.

(Original post by passé-présent)
    T...one hopes Oxbridge will do something about its fee apartheid (e.g. by being as wealthy as the top US universities), which is after all bad for the university too if it deters the best students.

It should also be noted that, though Oxford advertises living expenses at in the £11,000-17,000 range, many past students have managed, through getting by frugally, on much less. Working during vacations might also help.
    Oxbridge are not nearly as rich as top US universities are. They're very poor compared to them.

International students on a study visa can't work much even during vacations.

Will Oxford still be able to compete with Harvard or Princeton or MIT as a university of, not just high, but the highest academic standards
    Undergraduates have hardly anything to do with universities' academic standards. In fact, even doctoral students have only a marginal impact on that front. That's a reason why top US universities don't tend to have that many undergraduates.

and with global influence in a decade or two if it only accepts British students and those internationals able to pay its mountainous fees?
    People from a wealthier background are more likely to continue the University's global influence than the poorer ones. How many of Oxford's current 9 heads of government or state* grew up poor?

*The King of Bhutan, The King of Jordan, The King of Norway, The King of Malaysia, the Prime Minister of UK, the Prime Minister of Australia, the Prime Minister of Hungary, the President of Perú, the State Councillor of Myanmar

...the benefits of influencing the outlook of future political/ economic/ military leaders...
    Which one do you think was more influential in helping David Cameron becoming the prime minister?

His wealthy family background with party connections, and being The Queen's distant cousin and all that.

Or his first in PPE at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Are you sure about that? I found it pretty easy to get a research placement and I know many other undergraduates who have done similar things...
    It's not that difficult to be a research assistant but that's not really research work.

And with any kind of paid work you need to consider the fact that international students are not allowed to work much.

(Original post by john2054)
    Just because i said you should invest in your own country, doesn't mean that i am being racist okay>? Just realistic!
    You don't have to study in India to contribute to India. Numerous Indian prime ministers and presidents returned to India after their Oxford studies, as it is the case with the current prime ministers of Australia and Hungary, the State Councillor of Myanmar, the president of Perú, the Education Secretary of México, the several senators and representatives in the United States, and thousands others in and out of politics.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    It's not that difficult to be a research assistant but that's not really research work.
    Well, it's taking part in real research which is what I assume the OP is talking about, I don't think he's expecting to be a PI as an undergrad. I know of plenty of people who have published work they've done in undergraduate research projects though.

ReputationRep:
    One option is to try crowdfunding.Often people will donate a portion of your fees to go, and I've heard stories of this being successfull

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's taking part in real research which is what I assume the OP is talking about, I don't think he's expecting to be a PI as an undergrad. I know of plenty of people who have published work they've done in undergraduate research projects though.
    Indeed, plenty have done that. But I don't think Oxford gives undergraduates particularly more opportunities, and it's possible to work with academics from another university so I don't see how that's a reason for going to Oxford for undergraduate studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomHibbs12)
    One option is to try crowdfunding.Often people will donate a portion of your fees to go, and I've heard stories of this being successfull
    And many sites let you collect the money ever if the target's not hit so in any case, free money.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, plenty have done that. But I don't think Oxford gives undergraduates particularly more opportunities, and it's possible to work with academics from another university so I don't see how that's a reason for going to Oxford for undergraduate studies.
    Well no it's definitely not just Oxford (Imperial even has actual formal university-wide schemes to get undergrads into research), I was responding to someone who said that research opportunities are very limited which isn't entirely fair.

ReputationRep:
    Ah. You'd know better than me. Scratch some of that then.

ReputationRep:
    Well no it's definitely not just Oxford (Imperial even has actual formal university-wide schemes to get undergrads into research), I was responding to someone who said that research opportunities are very limited which isn't entirely fair.
    As I pointed out earlier in the thread, doing research is part of the Oxford biochem course. Just like it is for other science courses. You can't pass without it... That's why they are 4 year integrated masters courses.

I don't know what other unis are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    As I pointed out earlier in the thread, doing research is part of the Oxford biochem course. Just like it is for other science courses. You can't pass without it... That's why they are all 4 year integrated masters courses.

Oh you mean that final research project year? That's the same for all undergraduate masters and one might make the argument that all undergrad degrees with a dissertation are similar to that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    As I pointed out earlier in the thread, doing research is part of the Oxford biochem course. Just like it is for other science courses. You can't pass without it... That's why they are 4 year integrated masters courses.

Well that's what all integrated masters courses are like, I assumed the OP meant additional research.

ReputationRep:

Countries with Her Majesty as their head of state are called "Commonwealth realms". Commonwealth countries are all members of The Commonwealth of Nations.
    Haha that Trump lol! Okay I see that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    Unfortunately university is subsidised for British students because our parents pay tax and international students have to pay the full fee... it can't really be helped as they bring a lot of money to the university and if the fees were cheaper it might not cover the costs and there would be too many applicants.
    "Unfortunately"?
    Surely you are glad it is?

I dont see why anyone should expect to be able to study in another country as a right! Why should other people fund you?

The OP has already been given excellent advice, to do an undergraduate degree in his own country and then top it up with a masters, maybe overseas.

I think there should be commonwealth exceptions though it's pretty unfair after everything we've done..
    There are generous scholarships for the very best students. Surely youre not suggesting British people should pay for every Commonwealth student who wants to come here? You must be mad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ringstone)
    You need to be talking to the university - Oxbridge is not short of a bob or two and neither are their alumni. They will be able to point you in the direction of possible funding streams - but at the end of the day no cash, no go.
    Will do.

ReputationRep:
    Overseas students face essentially the same conditions that American citizens do if the go to private colleges - catastrophically high tuition rates. I am surprised that members of the commonwealth are not offered some kind of dispensation or UK-like fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurryHead)
    Yep, boards in Feb-March. Going through some particularly harrowing preboards though.
    Haha if I don't die during pre boards, I'll surely die when boards arrive.

Even though I've not applied to Oxford ( it doesn't offer my course) I know british council offers scholarship.
    It won't pay you as much, but something.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Crowdfunding?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.