The Student Room Group

I've been offered admission, but I can't afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
OKay, you obviously don't get it

she's black...

You can still be Racist...even if you're married to someone of a different race. :colonhash:
Original post by Dann.It
You can still be Racist...even if you're married to someone of a different race. :colonhash:

yes. You only really need to dislike one race to qualify as a racist. Some of the most enjoyably unabashed racists I know are East Asian women dating or actually married to white British men and forever embarrassing those partners by the expressing of attitudes toward brown and particularly black people that perhaps can still be voiced in Japan, China or Korea but probably shouldn't be here.
Reply 222
I am sure this has just changed.. for that reason. I think they can pursue the debt if you are abroad and it is based on your income in the country you live in. If you don't communicate with them, they can insist a repayment of the full loan outright. I was looking into it as i was considering leaving UK at some point.
Reply 223
Original post by cambio wechsel
All home students are subsidized to the extent and in the sense that the government fronts up the money and says you can pay it back when you can afford to.

Beyond this only STEM students receive a subsidy, and actually only some of them*. I can still do a one year (that is 12 month) taught Masters degree in the Arts or Social Sciences for £6000, receiving as much teaching time as the undergrads in the same department, and this often in small groups and never in huge lectures, and having supervision and marking for a longish dissertation on top of that. On an undergraduate Arts or Social Sciences course having a big intake the per head costs, and certainly in the first year, might be as low as £3000.

This is little understood by the STEM snobs on here. That the Arts and Social Sciences students are subsidizing them and not the other way about.

*Not maths and stats and possibly not computer science or architecture. You really need labs to drive provision costs to £9000 per head even on a big intake.

Yeah I definitely got more for my money... my friends who did humanities literally got nothing, not even essential reading books, and we got labs each week and subsidised/free field trips. We always joked that they were paying for our degree lol
Original post by CurryHead
I'm an International student from India, and I've been offered admission to a 4 year course in Biochemistry at University College, Oxford. Now I really really want to go, because my country has very limited opportunities for research, but my full four year fees comes up to about 170000 GBP (everything included), which is WAY more than I can possibly afford. Is there any sort of financial assistance available to me? I know there are the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, but those are very limited in number. Can anyone help me?

If you can't afford it why on earth would you bother applying?

I would scrap the Oxford offer as there doesn't seem to be much financial assistance or any option for you, take a gap year and apply to Harvard/ Yale/ Princeton as they are similar standard and provide financial aid to internationals and are need blind. I think they also pay for planes to and from the universities.

Also look at if your government funds study. I know that Singapore will pay for people to study overseas in exchange for them working in the civil service afterwards.

Good luck!
Reply 225
The harm is that someone else will get rejected because a place has been reserved for you which you cannot afford.
All home students are subsidized to the extent and in the sense that the government fronts up the money and says you can pay it back when you can afford to.

Beyond this only STEM students receive a subsidy, and actually only some of them*. I can still do a one year (that is 12 month) taught Masters degree in the Arts or Social Sciences for £6000, receiving as much teaching time as the undergrads in the same department, and this often in small groups and never in huge lectures, and having supervision and marking for a longish dissertation on top of that. On an undergraduate Arts or Social Sciences course having a big intake the per head costs, and certainly in the first year, might be as low as £3000.

This is little understood by the STEM snobs on here. That the Arts and Social Sciences students are subsidizing them and not the other way about.

*Not maths and stats and possibly not computer science or architecture. You really need labs to drive provision costs to £9000 per head even on a big intake.

Disclaimer: I did a social science so I am not a STEM student trying to wind you up, but in the long run don't STEM students end up subsidising social science/ arts students far more because they tend to get much better paid jobs and pay far more in taxes? No idea if this is true, but just wondered. Also in my experience STEM students work far harder and have far more hours than arts/ social science students, possibly with the exception of people studying economics. I don't just mean far more hours of lecture time, but they seem to have lectures, seminars, labs and far more homework and exams than arts/ social science students do, so although they receive more lessons and teaching they also receive far more homework. I'm not saying it's right that STEM subjects are subsidised by arts/ social science students but just curious about your responses. I personally don't think anyone should subsidise anyone else and that you should just pay the cost of your degree and have a loan to cover it if you need it and then have to start paying it back as soon as you graduate, but that universities future income stream should depend on the loan repayments of its former students.
Original post by oiseaux_tropic
...don't STEM students end up subsidising social science/ arts students far more because they tend to get much better paid jobs and pay far more in taxes?

no portion of those taxes is ring fenced for specifically university fees, though.

Imagine that Alice and Bob go to Nonsuch Redbrick to study Materials Science and Sociology respectively.

As you anticipate, Alice gets a better paid job and she pays off the full £27000 liability in fairly short order. Bob never earns ever so very much and has paid back £13000 when the debt is written off as he turns 51. Still the likelihood is that Bob has (more than) paid the provision costs of his degree, such that no-one else need make up the difference through higher tax contributions, because there is no difference to make up. By contrast Alice never quite paid the costs of providing her BSc, and as well enjoyed higher earnings in consequence of her getting it.
Back on the original topic (my parents are scientists, I have an offer for History so I claim neutrality on STEM/Humanities) the truth is education is expensive for domestic students and even more so for international students and only going to get more so with BREXIT, austerity and "market forces".

We all had to think hard about our finances before applying in the current environment. If I did not have parents who can and will help limit that burden I'm not sure I would sign up to circa £60k debt (3 years fees & living costs as a domestic student) let alone the scale of costs faced by the OP.
Reply 229
Original post by Ellie419
There is a really useful website called The Scholarship Hub, they have all sorts of scholarships including international ones.

You could also look into getting a sponsorship, large companies may fund your degree if you agree to work for them afterwards. (I have a relative who did this and has been funded from the start of their bachelor's degree all the way through to their doctorate.)

I'm not really sure what else there is out there that hasn't already been suggested but good luck.

Thank you!!
As far as I can tell, your only option if you are indeed desperate to study there for undergraduate is to simply get your foot in the door. That is, rather than tackling the impossible cost of four years, focus on one year. Can your family loan the first year's fees in instalments? Could you defer your offer and save up the fees yourself during a gap year? If so, you could then get a part-time job in Oxford (as well as apply for hardship funds from your college) and attempt to scrape through the first year. Who knows, if you do well perhaps Oxford will pull some strings. If not (and more realistically) you have still benefited from a year at Oxford (which can be listed on your CV) before finishing up in India, and returning to do your MSc/PhD at Oxford on an international studentship.

As I said, that's if you're determined to study there. Oxford is, I think, worth extreme measures if research is your chosen career, despite its being fashionable on here as of late to relegate its superiority.
I think that is a pretty dodgy resolution to the OPs situation. You will have to pay the fees upfront every year in order to re register. I know because I am doing a post grad course and have to pay my fees annually before reclaiming them from the organisation that is funding me (which would not be available to the OP sadly).

Universities don't even let you graduate if you have outstanding library fines.
Hey you must be pretty rich in India to consider studying abroad?
Original post by macromicro
As far as I can tell, your only option if you are indeed desperate to study there for undergraduate is to simply get your foot in the door. That is, rather than tackling the impossible cost of four years, focus on one year. Can your family loan the first year's fees in instalments? Could you defer your offer and save up the fees yourself during a gap year? If so, you could then get a part-time job in Oxford (as well as apply for hardship funds from your college) and attempt to scrape through the first year. Who knows, if you do well perhaps Oxford will pull some strings. If not (and more realistically) you have still benefited from a year at Oxford (which can be listed on your CV) before finishing up in India, and returning to do your MSc/PhD at Oxford on an international studentship.

As I said, that's if you're determined to study there. Oxford is, I think, worth extreme measures if research is your chosen career, despite its being fashionable on here as of late to relegate its superiority.

You sir deserve a medal. You're fundamentally an optimist. kudos!
Original post by Dann.It

To be honest, getting married, and staying married for nine years, looking after a child of the other woman, and also bringing them over from Africa, speaks volumes. And it speaks volumes more than some pithy labels that 'anonymous' users, can throw out on the internet/tsr, i'm afraid!

J
Original post by passé-présent

I mention no particular ways for Oxford to enrich itself because that was not essentially relevant to my argument. But others might suggest (though I do not endorse all of these means): privatising itself (Prof. Laurence Brockliss, fellow of Magd and author of the latest official history of the university, did suggest this recently); merging the college endowments; soliciting money from alumni more aggressively; run more for-profit master's or certificate programmes; promise free passes to children of big donors; adopt a US-style fee regime whereby fees are ludicrously high but need only be paid in full by the rich with others being offered financial aid based on their needs; open for-profit campuses in, say, Bahrain or Beijing; sell some old, pretty, expensive buildings and move to new, ugly, cheap ones.

So you DO think Oxford should let the rich buy its way in, even officially. Most of what you're proposing are counterproductive to what you supposedly hope to seeing. If Oxford officially adopts the policy to let the rich buy their way in, only very few poorer ones could get in. Note also for home students, Oxford already is the most generous in terms of financial aid.

Having more for-profit courses or in general accept more students isn't going to help the academic standards of its students so once again counterproductive. Note also Oxford already has the UK's third-largest Continuing Education department behind only OU and Birkback.

I'll also have you know that for all your talks of learning from US top universities, there isn't better access over there. It has been estimated, based on the numbers for financial assistance, that 45.6% of all Harvard students have a family income in the top 3.8% of all Americans. Only 4% comes from the bottom quartile of the population, and 17.8% from the bottom three quartiles.

Oxford has the highest portion of privately-educated students (they are 7% of the country) at around 45% in the UK. This means your logic "to let the poor study at Oxford, we should make it even more difficult for them to get in first".
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't want to be all doom and gloom but ultimately this is a *****er and you are just going to have to accept you can't afford it and go to another university. I'm not disputing you'd be an excellent student for Oxford but when all said and done I'd make an exceptional job of living in a £5 million mansion but I'm not going to put an offer in for one that's for sale and then just depress myself because I can't raise the funds to complete the purchase.
Whatever Oxfords criteria are, be it fair, unfair, in favour of the upper classes etc. Their criteria isn't going to change any time soon and neither are the funding structures.

As Brian Potter said, 'I wanna moonwalk, son. But life's a shithouse!'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fandom-queen
God, keep the kohinoor DAMMIT, but at least subsidise education for us indians as a past commonwealth country. We just want to learn our subject............

Spoiler

India spends billions on nuclear weapons, military infrastructure, space programmes. It also has institutionalised and rampant corruption where virtually no-one pays tax. The UK tax payers even hand out hundreds of millions to relieve poverty in India. W.T.F?

The problem is you guy's fleeing the issues instead of dedicating your lives to solving them in your own country. It takes courage, guts, tenacity, blood, sweat and toil to do that.

But all I see is everyone wanting to take the easy way out and cheating to get it handed to them on a plate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Oxford has the highest portion of privately-educated students (they are 7% of the country)

this isn't right and is a red-herring statistic often bandied about. 7% of school children in the UK are being privately educated. But Oxford, like any other university, doesn't recruit from the pool that is schoolchildren in the UK but rather recruits 17-18 year olds in education in the UK, and just over 20% of these are in the independent sector.

That difference in figures exists because (i) working class kids are much more likely to drop out of education at 16 than are kids being privately educated, such that the relative percentage would rise even if there were no other change, and (ii) for the aspirant lower middle class, 2 years of private 6th form might be the whole of the push that the family budget can run to, "now's the time to make sacrifices for Tim's future", so the transitioning works in that direction and at that stage.

Something else that's true, and bears on this discussion, is that GCSEs allow for sorting and scholarships. You'll see on TSR a lot of "chance me for Westminster VIth form" threads, where students anticipating 10 A*s or something similarly preposterous are wanting to switch into the independent sector at that stage. This is important because students with 10 A*s are are as well the ones most likely to later interest Oxford.
this isn't right and is a red-herring statistic often bandied about. 7% of school children in the UK are being privately educated. But Oxford, like any other university, doesn't recruit from the pool that is schoolchildren in the UK but rather recruits 17-18 year olds in education in the UK, and just over 20% of these are in the independent sector.

That difference in figures exists because (i) working class kids are much more likely to drop out of education at 16 than are kids being privately educated, such that the relative percentage would rise even if there were no other change, and (ii) for the aspirant lower middle class, 2 years of private 6th form might be the whole of the push that the family budget can run to, "now's the time to make sacrifices for Tim's future", so the transitioning works in that direction and at that stage.

Something else that's true, and bears on this discussion, is that GCSEs allow for sorting and scholarships. You'll see on TSR a lot of "chance me for Westminster VIth form" threads, where students anticipating 10 A*s or something similarly preposterous are wanting to switch into the independent sector at that stage. This is important because students with 10 A*s are are as well the ones most likely to later interest Oxford.

I compared only comparable numbers. I can't use an American overall % with a British % that's only about eligible candidates.

Context is important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending