Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLhasaApso)
    Just out of interest why did you apply if you knew the fees were so outrageous? Just to see if you could get in? Were you hoping to gain a scholarship. Is it not worth applying again for next year and try to get a scholarship?

I'm a uk student and was offered a place to do medicine but I had to turn it down due to the cost, it's gutting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're a UK student, you should get student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    The main thing you need to think is about finance because it's obvious you have really good grades hence why you applied to Oxford. Unfortunately, in this situation there was no point as you haven't got the funding.

Can't your parents help you by getting you here to the UK and pay the fees? It's 4 years struggle but after that you can repay them back. Oxford degree will take you places!

You can also find a job in the UK to!!
    If they could pay the fees, this post wouldn't exist...

ReputationRep:
    Yes I already had a degree so I was entitled to anything until I got into a certain year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Yes, practically every graduate is in debt, it's a pretty common scenario for most. All that is guaranteed, is that you won't have to worry about it in 40 years (when loans expire). You will regret rejecting Oxford dearly, in my opinion, if you don't.

Get the MBiochem, move to the U.S and do a fully funded PhD (grades obviously have to be good at uni, but that's another matter). I don't think the U.K have access to American/foreign bank accounts, that's why grads leave the U.K and take their money with them so they don't have to pay back. It's stingy, but practical.
    That's... Smart? I think?

P.S. By MBiochem, you mean the four year course only right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurryHead)
    Did they respond with anything? Are you currently pursuing higher ed in the UK?
    No they just told me to have a look at their bursaries list, some uni's have better ones than others e.g. Surrey which I have an offer from say if i get A*AA (their offer is AAA) I can get £1000/2000 a year bursary for all 3 years which is quite good (but I am not going with Surrey). And yeah I am definitely going to uni in UK, I live here and have done for 4 years but originally from Pakistan so i dont have a passport yet.

(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
    I am afraid but both Pakistan and India are not in commonwealth countries list. Commonwealth countries are the one where Queen Elizabeth is still a Queen to this date. Greater India was a commonwealth country but ince they got independent, they are no more

Psst! Correction, as @CurryHead said. SORRY
    Ohh yeah sorry ahah thanks for the correction

ReputationRep:
    If they could pay the fees, this post wouldn't exist...
    Shouldn't have applied in the first place to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    No they just told me to have a look at their bursaries list, some uni's have better ones than others e.g. Surrey which I have an offer from say if i get A*AA (their offer is AAA) I can get £1000/2000 a year bursary for all 3 years which is quite good (but I am not going with Surrey). And yeah I am definitely going to uni in UK, I live here and have done for 4 years but originally from Pakistan so i dont have a passport yet.

Ohh yeah sorry ahah thanks for the correction
    Oh, OK best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLhasaApso)
    Yes I already had a degree so I was entitled to anything until I got into a certain year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Shouldn't have applied in the first place to be honest.
    Thanks, really helps morale right now.

ReputationRep:
    **** it - just go. It's paid back in instalments, and will get written off after a certain time period. Plus, if you're in a foreign country, it's difficult to for them to make you pay it back.
    You don't understand. No one is offering her money. She says she will need this money, to even start... Are you going to write her the cheque?

ReputationRep:
    That's... Smart? I think?

P.S. By MBiochem, you mean the four year course only right?
    Yes, the four year. You mentioned you wanted to do meaningful research, and that's going to require PhD, which (nearly) always requires a Masters' degree - hence, MBiochem. The method would work with a BA, but you'd have to find another to get a Master's. There's actually a Cambridge college that fully funds your Masters' degree if you average first class in the three year degree - too late now, but I thought it was of novel interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    You don't understand. No one is offering her money. She says she will need this money, to even start... Are you going to write her the cheque?
    That is true, though.

P.S. I'm a guy

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the four year. You mentioned you wanted to do meaningful research, and that's going to require PhD, which (nearly) always requires a Masters' degree - hence, MBiochem. The method would work with a BA, but you'd have to find another to get a Master's. There's actually a Cambridge college that fully funds your Masters' degree if you average first class in the three year degree - too late now, but I thought it was of novel interest.
    Yeah I suppose that would've been ideal. The offer is for the four year course, so that's good.

ReputationRep:
    So are Oxford fees more expensive than other unis? Couldn't you go to another UK university? If it's research you want to do, get a PhD and then you'll be fine; doesn't matter where the PhD is from, just get one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is true, though.

P.S. I'm a guy
    You do realise that India has a perfectly good university and schooling system, right?

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that India has a perfectly good university and schooling system, right?
    A) It's super competitive
    B) Opportunities after Uni are limited, especially if I want to pursue pure research
    C) It's not that great tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    So are Oxford fees more expensive than other unis? Couldn't you go to another UK university? If it's research you want to do, get a PhD and then you'll be fine; doesn't matter where the PhD is from, just get one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got into Kings, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh, but Oxford is at the top of the list.
    To get a PhD, I'm gonna have to go through BSc and MSc first.

ReputationRep:
    A) It's super competitive
    B) Opportunities after Uni are limited, especially if I want to pursue pure research
    C) It's not that great tbh
    Oxford is also super competitive. It is literally one of the best in the UK if not the world.

I know somebody who got a degree in India, and she agrees with me, that they work to a much higher standard over there. Even with the students scrubbing the halls, before and after class.

People really consider the uk a holy grail, with regards to work and benefits and education. But if people would only stay at home, and invest in their own country and infrastructure, then maybe they could strengthen their own countries, rather than all coming here?!?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is also super competitive. It is literally one of the best in the UK if not the world.

I know somebody who got a degree in India, and she agrees with me, that they work to a much higher standard over there. Even with the students scrubbing the halls, before and after class.

People really consider the uk a holy grail, with regards to work and benefits and education. But if people would only stay at home, and invest in their own country and infrastructure, then maybe they could strengthen their own countries, rather than all coming here?!?
    Lemme guess, "Dang immigrants, taking our jobs!!" Cool the nationalistic fervour Gramps.

Look, I've seen first hand the kind of difference between an education in the UK and an education in India. The fact is, I've got into Oxford, and the competitive part is over. You haven't seen the kind of mad rush the kids here go through to get into a decent uni.
    This doesn't mean I'm not applying in India. I know better than to put my eggs in one basket.

ReputationRep:
    Hey buddy, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. It just hurts even asking them to consider giving that kind of money.

Where/which high school are you from?
    I'm from the South. My dad's an IIM professor (you may of heard of it). We live well, but we're not rich. As you probably know, doing A-levels, things like JEE and NEET are pretty much out of the question, since it's all CBSE/ISC/State based.

I cannot afford the good universities, yet, at the same time, if I don't go to a good university, what's the point of studying in the uk.
    I'm stuck in a massive rut.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.