Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurryHead)
    Lemme guess, "Dang immigrants, taking our jobs!!" Cool the nationalistic fervour Gramps.

Look, I've seen first hand the kind of difference between an education in the UK and an education in India. The fact is, I've got into Oxford, and the competitive part is over. You haven't seen the kind of mad rush the kids here go through to get into a decent uni.
    This doesn't mean I'm not applying in India. I know better than to put my eggs in one basket.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    I got into Kings, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh, but Oxford is at the top of the list.
    To get a PhD, I'm gonna have to go through BSc and MSc first.
    IT'S SO FRUSTRATING, that PhD and Masters has so much funding, but the bachelors degree scholarships are practically barren.

The exchange rate for GBP is the literal personification of death.

Time to sell a kidney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    I'm from the South. My dad's an IIM professor (you may of heard of it). We live well, but we're not rich. As you probably know, doing A-levels, things like JEE and NEET are pretty much out of the question, since it's all CBSE/ISC/State based.

I cannot afford the good universities, yet, at the same time, if I don't go to a good university, what's the point of studying in the uk.
    I'm stuck in a massive rut.
    I relate so much. It's such a painful cycle.

ReputationRep:

Time to sell a kidney.
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm an International student from India, and I've been offered admission to a 4 year course in Biochemistry at University College, Oxford. Now I really really want to go, because my country has very limited opportunities for research, but my full four year fees comes up to about 170000 GBP (everything included), which is WAY more than I can possibly afford. Is there any sort of financial assistance available to me? I know there are the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, but those are very limited in number. Can anyone help me?
    Bro I am from India as well. I am applying for economics. I got rejected from Oxford for E&M. Probably try getting loan for bank, they will lend you on basis of collateral to like 80% of your total fee. Else try contacting alumni if Oxford in India, they can help you. Even i am worried about finance. I guess my parents are gonna spend their entire saving on my ug . Anyways good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm an International student from India, and I've been offered admission to a 4 year course in Biochemistry at University College, Oxford. Now I really really want to go, because my country has very limited opportunities for research, but my full four year fees comes up to about 170000 GBP (everything included), which is WAY more than I can possibly afford. Is there any sort of financial assistance available to me? I know there are the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, but those are very limited in number. Can anyone help me?
    Unlucky mate. Are you sure you haven't got a rich uncle. Im sure everyone has a rich uncle they can call upon even though theyre quite cheap with their gifts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akhil1999.gs)
    Bro I am from India as well. I am applying for economics. I got rejected from Oxford for E&M. Probably try getting loan for bank, they will lend you on basis of collateral to like 80% of your total fee. Else try contacting alumni if Oxford in India, they can help you. Even i am worried about finance. I guess my parents are gonna spend their entire saving on my ug . Anyways good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol
    God, keep the kohinoor DAMMIT, but at least subsidise education for us indians as a past commonwealth country. We just want to learn our subject............

Spoiler:
    Show

We don't need all the reparations Tharoor asked for. We just need lower fees.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man, will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotshot2102)
    Unlucky mate. Are you sure you haven't got a rich uncle. Im sure everyone has a rich uncle they can call upon even though theyre quite cheap with their gifts
    HAHAHA i wish

ReputationRep:
    God, keep the kohinoor DAMMIT, but at least subsidise education for us indians as a past commonwealth country. We just want to learn our subject............

Spoiler:
    Show

I bet they're doing this out of spite...

JKJK PLS TAKE ME UGH

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Haha yeah 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA i wish
    Also try for british council school which is like a 10000 GBP scholarship and other scholarships in India which is like a lakh or something. Just give it a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bet they're doing this out of spite...

JKJK PLS TAKE ME UGH
    And yet we participate in the games.

Why are indian institutions such crap? It's either IIT/IISC or the deep dark pits of educated society.

btw, I wrote the IISC exam.........complete waste of 1000 rupees. I could only answer my name

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Congrats on your offer. I would like to share some bit of my won experience. Applied to Westminster last year and got in but couldn't otherwise afford the tuition minus a scholarship. Applied for the scholarship, got rejected, tried scholarships in other countries and still got rejected. Anyways, I now got a 4K scholarship from some uni and still thinking about my options(still can't afford the remainder).

Back to your query(sorry for my long stories), I know many UK unis do have scholarships specifically for Indian Students, you might want to consider trying in another uni unless of course it's Oxford or nothing. Also you could try Reach Oxford Scholarships(not sure about Indian eligibility) but my point is search around and don't give up on your dream. Am still working hard on mine too, hopefully I'll update and say I finally made it.

ReputationRep:
    And yet we participate in the games.

Why are indian institutions such crap? It's either IIT/IISC or the deep dark pits of educated society.

btw, I wrote the IISC exam.........complete waste of 1000 rupees. I could only answer my name
    I gave the KVPY too! Qualified, just about, and waiting for the interview. IISc is SUCH a beautiful place, shame its only got 120 seats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonza nelson)
    Hi there,
    Congrats on your offer. I would like to share some bit of my won experience. Applied to Westminster last year and got in but couldn't otherwise afford the tuition minus a scholarship. Applied for the scholarship, got rejected, tried scholarships in other countries and still got rejected. Anyways, I now got a 4K scholarship from some uni and still thinking about my options(still can't afford the remainder).

Back to your query(sorry for my long stories), I know many UK unis do have scholarships specifically for Indian Students, you might want to consider trying in another uni unless of course it's Oxford or nothing. Also you could try Reach Oxford Scholarships(not sure about Indian eligibility) but my point is search around and don't give up on your dream. Am still working hard on mine too, hopefully I'll update and say I finally made it.
    I am applying for the Reach, but seats are limited. Thanks for the motivation!

ReputationRep:
    Also try for british council school which is like a 10000 GBP scholarship and other scholarships in India which is like a lakh or something. Just give it a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man, will check it out!

ReputationRep:
    I gave the KVPY too! Qualified, just about, and waiting for the interview. IISc is SUCH a beautiful place, shame its only got 120 seats.
    I didn't take kvpy as I got disqualified last year by 0.5 marks 😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take kvpy as I got disqualified last year by 0.5 marks 😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1.5 for me last year lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotshot2102)
    lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.