(Original post by CurryHead)
      Very true. Where you from?
      Nigeria

ReputationRep:
      170000 GBP (everything included)
      (Original post by fandom-queen)
      It's coming to about 105000 GBP.
      Are these numbers correct? Or 10x too high?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chazwomaq)
      Are these numbers correct? Or 10x too high?
      Mine are correct. 1.4 Crore indian rupees, which you can convert.

ReputationRep:
      OMG, saying it like that.......makes it seem even worse than it is.

Kaun Banega Crorepati is my best chance.

ReputationRep:
      Oh yeah, for all 4 years; I didn't read the OP carefully enough.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
      Yes, practically every graduate is in debt, it's a pretty common scenario for most. All that is guaranteed, is that you won't have to worry about it in 40 years (when loans expire). You will regret rejecting Oxford dearly, in my opinion, if you don't.

Get the MBiochem, move to the U.S and do a fully funded PhD (grades obviously have to be good at uni, but that's another matter). I don't think the U.K have access to American/foreign bank accounts, that's why grads leave the U.K and take their money with them so they don't have to pay back. It's stingy, but practical.
      Hahahha I like the way you think, but I'm a little less ballsy than that. Seriously though, do you think it's that worth it?
      Fairly certain international students have to pay it outright and very certain their fees never get written off...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fandom-queen)
      OMG, saying it like that.......makes it seem even worse than it is.

Kaun Banega Crorepati is my best chance.
      Hahahah basically

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Moura)
      Fairly certain international students have to pay it outright and very certain their fees never get written off...
      Are you sure? I don't think we have to pay the full thing at once?
      • Community Assistant
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      I'm an International student from India, and I've been offered admission to a 4 year course in Biochemistry at University College, Oxford. Now I really really want to go, because my country has very limited opportunities for research, but my full four year fees comes up to about 170000 GBP (everything included), which is WAY more than I can possibly afford. Is there any sort of financial assistance available to me? I know there are the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, but those are very limited in number. Can anyone help me?
      Seems a bit odd to apply knowing you can't afford it. :dontknow: If you wanted a high quality education at low cost then you should have applied to a European university. I believe a science degree from a prestigious university like Trinity College Dublin costs around £80k for non-EU students. And there are even cheaper options available, e.g. http://ki.se/en/utbildning/1bi17-bac...in-biomedicine (around £55k) or https://www.umu.se/en/education/mast...-life-science/ (around £40k).

ReputationRep:
      Are you sure? I don't think we have to pay the full thing at once?
      I think you do on a yearly/termly basis...

ReputationRep:
      Do you guys all speak English at home or something?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Moura)
      Are there loans for international students to pay later on?? Say after your course is done. Especially in Wales??

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Moura)
      Many Indians do

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by gonza nelson)
      Are there loans for international students to pay later on?? Say after your course is done. Especially in Wales??
      I have no idea, I think if there are then they would be with Indian banks... and they would be pretty terrible.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Moura)
      I have no idea, I think if there are then they would be with Indian banks... and they would be pretty terrible.
      Lol am from Uganda

ReputationRep:
      Many Indians do
      So would you say it's your first language? Do you speak it better than whatever your regional indian language is?

ReputationRep:
      That's life as an international student, I know someone from Canada who is doing medicine at KCL and she is forking out way more $$$ than that.

There really isn't much you can do

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ishax)
      Shouldn't have applied in the first place to be honest.
      That's such a negative attitude from everyone saying that CurryHead shouldn't have applied in the first place! Of course s/he should have. Even just to try out and see if s/he could get in. In the future, even if s/he doesnt end up going, she can reapply to Oxford for a Masters and explain what happened, which would certainly be helpful.

Moreover, there are international scholarships available. Yes, they are limited, but CurryHead would never know if s/he could get one if s/he didn't apply in the first place. So, stop all the negativity

and @CurryHead, you need to look at scholarship offered by the Indian government, there can't be thousands of young Indians who have received offers to study at Oxford at an undergrad level, you must be pretty unique, along with a handful of other people, so they might be prepared to offer you something (most of the time in exchange for a commitment to work back in India for a number of years at least, but still),

I think you shouldn't miss this opportunity, you've done an amazing job to get in, and you shouldn't give up on your dream until you reach it!

And whatever people might say, it's always worth asking (your College, Oxford scholarships, your government), the worst that can happen is (as you said yourself) that you'll get rejected.

Hell, if all fails, set up a Crowdfunder account, at least for the costs of the first year of your studies and get friends, family, the internet to fund the degree of a talented person who just can't afford to go...

Rant over. Soz.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Snufkin)
      Seems a bit odd to apply knowing you can't afford it. :dontknow: If you wanted a high quality education at low cost then you should have applied to a European university. I believe a science degree from a prestigious university like Trinity College Dublin costs around £80k for non-EU students. And there are even cheaper options available, e.g. http://ki.se/en/utbildning/1bi17-bac...in-biomedicine (around £55k) or https://www.umu.se/en/education/mast...-life-science/ (around £40k).
      You can't really compare Oxford to any other university (bar Cambridge of course), so yes, OP could have applied, but Oxford is a dream, it's an ambition, it's always worth having a go...(See above)

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.