Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why did you apply to Oxford if you can't afford it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    Do you guys all speak English at home or something?
    Duh, they need to provide the world with tech support…

ReputationRep:
    Oh no OP, I really hope you can get this sorted. You've done amazingly well to get an offer from Oxford, congratulations. I'm going to the student advice desk at college tomorrow anyway and I will ask them what is in place for people in your position
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Lusine)
    You can't really compare Oxford to any other university (bar Cambridge of course), so yes, OP could have applied, but Oxford is a dream, it's an ambition, it's always worth having a go...(See above)
    You missed the point, which was funding was always the elephant in the room.

Due to our very weak exchange rate following Brexit, then you have a 15-20% reduction in fees which is a nice start. You dont have anything to lose trying to crowdfund and as someone suggested contacting Indian alumni or companies.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You can't really compare Oxford to any other university (bar Cambridge of course), so yes, OP could have applied, but Oxford is a dream, it's an ambition, it's always worth having a go...(See above)
    No point being a prestige snob if you can't afford the prestigious university. TCD and the Karolinska Institute are very good unis, the OP would be lucky to go there - they aren't Oxford, but so what? Dreams are for kids, the OP has to make the best of what he's got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You missed the point, which was funding was always the elephant in the room.

Due to our very weak exchange rate following Brexit, then you have a 15-20% reduction in fees which is a nice start. You dont have anything to lose trying to crowdfund and as someone suggested contacting Indian alumni or companies.

I haven't missed the point, I appreciate the money is the problem (unless you were referring to the person I was responding to). But you shouldn't NOT apply to the university of your dreams, just because you don't have the money. You never know what opportunities might come up after you've received the offer, as you said above, there are many options to consider at this stage.

If you went round asking for money before you hold an offer, no one is going to give it to you. But if you have an offer, you stand some chance...
    • Very Important Poster

I haven't missed the point, I appreciate the money is the problem (unless you were referring to the person I was responding to). But you shouldn't NOT apply to the university of your dreams, just because you don't have the money. You never know what opportunities might come up after you've received the offer, as you said above, there are many options to consider at this stage.

If you went round asking for money before you hold an offer, no one is going to give it to you. But if you have an offer, you stand some chance...
    Snuffink made a perfectly reasonable and helpful post. I agree with what he said. I will jsut have to agree to disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    The OP (and others in a similar situation) may consider applying later this year to a US university that has financial aid for international students; the extremely competitive very top few give the most, but many at the next level (e.g. Chicago, Brown, Hopkins – not quite HYPM or Oxbridge, but still probably stronger and better-connected with research opportunities than most institutions in India) also offer some.

I can certainly share the complaints about Oxford's exorbitant fees; though I can afford to take up my offer, they're still a significant consideration in favour of accepting Yale's (or Princeton's, pending) instead. And I do know quite a few people who've rejected Oxbridge because of financial issues; one hopes Oxbridge will do something about its fee apartheid (e.g. by being as wealthy as the top US universities), which is after all bad for the university too if it deters the best students.

It should also be noted that, though Oxford advertises living expenses at in the £11,000-17,000 range, many past students have managed, through getting by frugally, on much less. Working during vacations might also help.

ReputationRep:
    Ok there is a tuition free college in the states by the name of Berea. All you pay is 2,000 dalla. Yeah it's in rural Kentucky but hey, it's a US degree that opens up further doors. As for those asking why we apply yet we can't afford it, I think hope drives us. You never know what comes up between now and September. For instance I have an offer plus a partial fee scholarship and yeah the remaining money is a lot but I have 7 months left to think about my future and also try and get funds from God knows where.

And as for GoFundMe please make sure your family would be okay with it as many people prefer to not be placed publicly. Anyways, good luck and hope to meet you soon. I'll pass by Oxford and say Hi. #DreamingisBeing and yeah only the dead don't dream.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Apply for all the scholarships offered for international students at Oxford, have a look to see if there are any scholarships from the Indian government you would qualify for too There are loads of websites online too listing general scholarships anyone can apply to - less for the UK than the US but still some, although usually not for huge sums of money.

Then, as others have said try to crowdfund some money, get in touch with Indian companies to see if they would offer sponsorship, ask your college if they have any extra funds available, try and get in touch with Indian alumni from Oxford to see if they would sympathise with your position and offer up some cash, etc.

I'm not sure exactly how the tuition fee payment process works for international students, but I'm guessing you don't need to pay it all upfront - if you can get enough in scholarships/ private fundraising for the first year, try and get a job over the summer holidays too, etc. you could manage it. You could speak to Oxford about deferring your place to give you another year of earning money to save up too.

However, it is a HUGE amount of money to save up - have you considered other universities where tuition fees are much cheaper/ free, or there are scholarships available? US universities usually have a lot more scholarships and financial aid, and there are many countries which offer free/ very cheap tuition or easily obtainable scholarships for international students - e.g. China, Germany, Iceland, France, Norway, Finland, Czech Republic, etc. Yes, perhaps you wouldn't be able to attend such a prestigious institution - however there's always the option to go to Oxford for a Masters/ PhD, for which there is much more funding available

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but Oxford really isn't all that. It is just another uni, if anything most of the alumini i have seen come from their have a MAJOR attitude/ego problem, which would definitely be a reason for me not wanting my child to go there. Plus i have seen actual racism from Oxbrige, here on tsr in the past. Although, fair play to them, the mods were quick to delete it!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passé-présent)
    one hopes Oxbridge will do something about its fee apartheid (e.g. by being as wealthy as the top US universities), which is after all bad for the university too if it deters the best students.
    'Fee apartheid' :rolleyes: Oxford, like every other UK university, has a perfect right to charge international students the full cost of the degree. Why should internationals receive British tax-payer-funded subsidised higher education?

ReputationRep:
    That's such a negative attitude from everyone saying that CurryHead shouldn't have applied in the first place! Of course s/he should have. Even just to try out and see if s/he could get in. In the future, even if s/he doesnt end up going, she can reapply to Oxford for a Masters and explain what happened, which would certainly be helpful.

Moreover, there are international scholarships available. Yes, they are limited, but CurryHead would never know if s/he could get one if s/he didn't apply in the first place. So, stop all the negativity

and @CurryHead, you need to look at scholarship offered by the Indian government, there can't be thousands of young Indians who have received offers to study at Oxford at an undergrad level, you must be pretty unique, along with a handful of other people, so they might be prepared to offer you something (most of the time in exchange for a commitment to work back in India for a number of years at least, but still),

I think you shouldn't miss this opportunity, you've done an amazing job to get in, and you shouldn't give up on your dream until you reach it!

And whatever people might say, it's always worth asking (your College, Oxford scholarships, your government), the worst that can happen is (as you said yourself) that you'll get rejected.

Hell, if all fails, set up a Crowdfunder account, at least for the costs of the first year of your studies and get friends, family, the internet to fund the degree of a talented person who just can't afford to go...

Rant over. Soz.
    Touched a nerve?

My point is fees are stated on the website, if you can't afford them what's the point in applying?

There are other universities available, not my fault OP didn't think it through properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Why did you apply to Oxford if you can't afford it?
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Touched a nerve?

My point is fees are stated on the website, if you can't afford them what's the point in applying?

There are other universities available, not my fault OP didn't think it through properly.
    Nope, I just don't like overly negative people. And I just explained what the point of applying is - you never know what opportunities might come up later.

OP might bump into a millionaire Oxford alumni who wants to give an opportunity to a young person from his country, but if OP hadn't applied, he'd never know...it's not that hard to understand that the potential benefits outweigh the costs of going through the application process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    'Fee apartheid' :rolleyes: Oxford, like every other UK university, has a perfect right to charge international students the full cost of the degree. Why should internationals receive British tax-payer-funded subsidised higher education?
    Of course Oxford 'has a perfect right' to charge international students whatever Oxford wants to charge. My point is that doing so, or having to do so, is bad for the university if it deters students who, based on merit alone, tutors think should have a place. Will Oxford still be able to compete with Harvard or Princeton or MIT as a university of, not just high, but the highest academic standards and with global influence in a decade or two if it only accepts British students and those internationals able to pay its mountainous fees?

Moreover, I suggested, clearly, that Oxford might seek to give aid for international students by developing its endowment – nothing to do with the British tax-payer. Even if Joe Taxpayer has to be involved, it still is obvious that attracting the best students to his country is a good investment once he considers the long-term economic benefits, the benefits of influencing the outlook of future political/ economic/ military leaders, and the intrinsic value of having the best students in the best universities. You make education sound like a utility, so that the OP or I should pay for it just like we should be made (some might say) to pay for any UK water we drink or any UK clean(er) air we breathe. But the university is (or should be) dedicated to culture and science with as little regard for money as possible.

But if we must speak in economic terms: Oxford can charge whatever fees it likes; but it's in the university's interests to charge fees that will make it competitive in the undergrad market.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I just don't like overly negative people. And I just explained what the point of applying is - you never know what opportunities might come up later.

OP might bump into a millionaire Oxford alumni who wants to give an opportunity to a young person from his country, but if OP hadn't applied, he'd never know...it's not that hard to understand that the potential benefits outweigh the costs of going through the application process.
    It's not negative, it's called having a realistic approach. He's not coming to England, he CAN'T afford to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I'm sorry but Oxford really isn't all that. It is just another uni, if anything most of the alumini i have seen come from their have a MAJOR attitude/ego problem, which would definitely be a reason for me not wanting my child to go there. Plus i have seen actual racism from Oxbrige, here on tsr in the past. Although, fair play to them, the mods were quick to delete it!
    There are lots of over-privileged and racist ****heads in all British (and overseas) universities, particularly Oxford, so by that extension you shouldn't go to any university at all. But it's not about that, it's about the quality of education and the opportunities that you get later in life from the network you've created.

If you raise your child well, there is no need to worry that they will become a racist with major attitude/ego, so that's not a reason to not send them there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    It's not negative, it's called having a realistic approach. He's not coming to England, he CAN'T afford to.
    You're just jealous he got in :rolleyes:

And you don't know that for sure. I know lots of people who couldn't afford to go but ended up going because they put in the effort to find the funding and had the academic ability to prove that they'd be an asset to the university and society. I'm sure OP is one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    No point being a prestige snob if you can't afford the prestigious university. TCD and the Karolinska Institute are very good unis, the OP would be lucky to go there - they aren't Oxford, but so what? Dreams are for kids, the OP has to make the best of what he's got.
    Reasonable suggestions, but I should point out that:

1) The fees of many EU universities for non-EU students are only slightly less than Oxford's (e.g. TCD's for natsci at c. 23,000 euros), and the OP might not speak Swedish (or French or German ...);
    2) though I'm somewhat bemused by the Oxbridge-idolatry endemic in England, Oxford is not merely more prestigious than TCD or Karolinska, distinguished universities though these are, but also academically stronger, not least when it comes to the research opportunities the OP mentioned initially – I think this is at least partly what Lusine meant in his comment;
    3) the OP also doesn't rule out breaking a piggybank (or two, or more) to go to Oxford, which indicates that applying wasn't entirely unrealistic;
    4) the OP might also have applied to enjoy the application experience itself, or in order to gauge his own abilities, and it seems rather condescending and insensitive, not to say imperious, for others (who presumably don't have his problems to deal with) to say that he ought not have applied;
    5) moreover, what if the OP discovers an oil deposit in his garden, or finds out that he's the late Queen Mother's long-lost ******* [EDIT: born out of wedlock] son – or just, in some other way (a legacy, say), comes upon a little extra unexpected money? All that would be no use if he doesn't hold an offer first.

TSR just turned '*******' into '*******'! What happened to freedom of speech?!! It's not even a curse in this context!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.