Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusine)
    You're just jealous he got in :rolleyes:

And you don't know that for sure. I know lots of people who couldn't afford to go but ended up going because they put in the effort to find the funding and had the academic ability to prove that they'd be an asset to the university and society. I'm sure OP is one of them.
    Clearly lol. He got into a university he can't afford to go to.. He has said it multiple times he can't afford it.

Ahhhh wellll

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of over-privileged and racist ****heads in all British (and overseas) universities, particularly Oxford, so by that extension you shouldn't go to any university at all. But it's not about that, it's about the quality of education and the opportunities that you get later in life from the network you've created.

If you raise your child well, there is no need to worry that they will become a racist with major attitude/ego, so that's not a reason to not send them there.
    I'm sorry but it's not that at all. I went to Derby, which is in the heart of the uk, both geographically and culturally, and unlike the ego heads and elite boarding school students, who make up something like 50% of oxbridges intake each year, you don't have to be elite to get in to Derby. sure you have to pay fees, but that is the same for all unversities now. Actually Derby are prepared to lower the entry requirements, if the interview goes well. Although don't quote me on this.

To be honest with you, i struggled for my degree, and left with a good degree. Now i have had enough. I have also had enough of defending non top tier uk academic universities, from the elite on here, just because they did a computer science degree at a top university, or had an uncle who got a first from cambridge.

As i said, it isn't all that. If you got a place, and were able to complete a degree at oxbridge, congratulations, you are most likely set for life. Or if like the rest of us, you applied to a 'normal' university, and got a 2.1, a desmond or worse, fair play to you our kid. You are just as good and just as clever, and just as able as any of these kids who went to oxbridge.

We can't all go there, there simply aren't enough places. But as long as wherever you go, you put in 100%, no one can ask any more of you. And even if 50% of uk school/college leavers start uni, i find it very hard to believe that anywhere near this, leave with one, okay???>>?

ReputationRep:
    That's such a negative attitude from everyone saying that CurryHead shouldn't have applied in the first place! Of course s/he should have. Even just to try out and see if s/he could get in. In the future, even if s/he doesnt end up going, she can reapply to Oxford for a Masters and explain what happened, which would certainly be helpful.

Moreover, there are international scholarships available. Yes, they are limited, but CurryHead would never know if s/he could get one if s/he didn't apply in the first place. So, stop all the negativity

and @CurryHead, you need to look at scholarship offered by the Indian government, there can't be thousands of young Indians who have received offers to study at Oxford at an undergrad level, you must be pretty unique, along with a handful of other people, so they might be prepared to offer you something (most of the time in exchange for a commitment to work back in India for a number of years at least, but still),

I think you shouldn't miss this opportunity, you've done an amazing job to get in, and you shouldn't give up on your dream until you reach it!

And whatever people might say, it's always worth asking (your College, Oxford scholarships, your government), the worst that can happen is (as you said yourself) that you'll get rejected.

Hell, if all fails, set up a Crowdfunder account, at least for the costs of the first year of your studies and get friends, family, the internet to fund the degree of a talented person who just can't afford to go...

Rant over. Soz.

THANK YOU SO MUCH most helpful comment so far. I definitely will have a look, but so far I've only found the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, for which there are 5 seats combined. But I'll write to the college, see what can be done.

(For future convenience, he)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by passé-présent)
    Reasonable suggestions, but I should point out that:

1) The fees of many EU universities for non-EU students are only slightly less than Oxford's (e.g. TCD's for natsci at c. 23,000 euros), and the OP might not speak Swedish (or French or German ...);
    2) Oxford is not merely more prestigious than TCD or Karolinska, distinguished universities though these are, but also academically stronger, not least when it comes to the research opportunities the OP mentioned initially;
    3) the OP also doesn't rule out breaking a piggybank (or two, or more) to go to Oxford, which indicates that applying wasn't entirely unrealistic;
    4) the OP might also have applied to enjoy the application experience itself, or in order to gauge his own abilities, and it seems rather condescending and insensitive, not to say imperious, for others (who presumably don't have his problems to deal with) to say that he ought not have applied;
    5) moreover, what if the OP discovers an oil deposit in his garden, or finds out that he's the late Queen Mother's long-lost ******* son – or just, in some other way (a legacy, say), comes upon a little extra unexpected money? All that would be no use if he doesn't hold an offer first.
    1. 'Slightly less' is a bit of an exaggeration, most EU/EEA countries are considerably cheaper than the UK. True, Ireland isn't - but it is still cheaper. Many universities in Europe, including the ones I mentioned in my post, offer English-taught undergraduate degrees.
    2. I don't think research should be a consideration at undergraduate, the OP won't be doing any. I'm not sure about TCD, but certainly Karolinska is just as strong in the life sciences as Oxford.
    4. I didn't say the OP shouldn't have applied, I agree that there's nothing wrong with taking a punt. I just think it was a bit foolish to apply without doing some serious research into scholarships / alternative funding streams first. Why have they left it so long?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, 3 out of my unis are ones I can't afford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epsilondelta)
    Oh no OP, I really hope you can get this sorted. You've done amazingly well to get an offer from Oxford, congratulations. I'm going to the student advice desk at college tomorrow anyway and I will ask them what is in place for people in your position
    Thank you so much!! Could you tell me what they say in a PM? This thread just kinda derailed...

ReputationRep:
    OK so this thread derailed into a weird freedom of speech battle, and I'm thankful to everyone for their opinion.
    I understand what the people who ask me why I applied at all mean, but I suppose it was hope that drove me. Yes I chose Oxford because of the prestige, but solely to help me further down my career. Now unfortunately or fortunately, I've received an offer, and nothing can be done about that.
    I have applied to a few US and Canadian unis, but in terms of my choice Oxford tops the list.
    I'm going to write to my college, and Oxford, and maybe speak to a few alums as well, to see what my situation might be. I have a friend who has been accepted to Cambridge, and his father is an alum from there. He's facing a similar dilemma, but his father is going to ask around, and help me as well. Thank you EVERYONE for your opinion, it really did help.

P.S. critics aside, the racists can bugger off. You aren't needed on a forum where people express their anxieties.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's any way, I'm an international student too. Especially in Oxford, they can just pick any other student over you who could pay all the fees without all the fuss.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, sunshine, but if you want to study in our country then you need to be able to pay through the roof for it, and rightly so. If you can't cough up the money then you can't go, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    I don't think there's any way, I'm an international student too. Especially in Oxford, they can just pick any other student over you who could pay all the fees without all the fuss.
    That'll be a shame. It's a little sad though, that education is so commercialized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurryHead)
    That'll be a shame. It's a little sad though, that education is so commercialized.
    Yeah, in UK, it's just a big brand to make your CV look better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    I'm sorry, sunshine, but if you want to study in our country then you need to be able to pay through the roof for it, and rightly so. If you can't cough up the money then you can't go, simple as that.
    Aren't you just the sweetest little thing. Nice to know people think like that.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    OK so this thread derailed into a weird freedom of speech battle, and I'm thankful to everyone for their opinion.
    I understand what the people who ask me why I applied at all mean, but I suppose it was hope that drove me. Yes I chose Oxford because of the prestige, but solely to help me further down my career. Now unfortunately or fortunately, I've received an offer, and nothing can be done about that.
    I have applied to a few US and Canadian unis, but in terms of my choice Oxford tops the list.
    I'm going to write to my college, and Oxford, and maybe speak to a few alums as well, to see what my situation might be. I have a friend who has been accepted to Cambridge, and his father is an alum from there. He's facing a similar dilemma, but his father is going to ask around, and help me as well. Thank you EVERYONE for your opinion, it really did help.

P.S. critics aside, the racists can bugger off. You aren't needed on a forum where people express their anxieties.
    I dont think most people are saying why apply at all, just the research about what happens in the event you are offered a place. Well done for being offered a place.

Taking a year or two out for a sponsorship drive wouldnt be the worst decision. At least you would know you gave it a try.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by passé-présent)
    Of course Oxford 'has a perfect right' to charge international students whatever Oxford wants to charge. My point is that doing so, or having to do so, is bad for the university if it deters students who, based on merit alone, tutors think should have a place. Will Oxford still be able to compete with Harvard or Princeton or MIT as a university of, not just high, but the highest academic standards and with global influence in a decade or two if it only accepts British students and those internationals able to pay its mountainous fees?

Moreover, I suggested, clearly, that Oxford might seek to give aid for international students by developing its endowment – nothing to do with the British tax-payer. Even if Joe Taxpayer has to be involved, it still is obvious that attracting the best students to his country is a good investment once he considers the long-term economic benefits, the benefits of influencing the outlook of future political/ economic/ military leaders, and the intrinsic value of having the best students in the best universities. You make education sound like a utility, so that the OP or I should pay for it just like we should be made (some might say) to pay for any UK water we drink or any UK clean(er) air we breathe. But the university is (or should be) dedicated to culture and science with as little regard for money as possible.

But if we must speak in economic terms: Oxford can charge whatever fees it likes; but it's in the university's interests to charge fees that will make it competitive in the undergrad market.
    I see no reason why Oxbridge wouldn't be able to compete in the future. There are more than enough academic whizz kids in the UK/Europe to fill places. The student body might not be as diverse as the top US schools, but who cares about that? Having a token Nepali student in your university doesn't make it any better. There are already scholarships for the unbelievably exceptional students from outside the EU/EEA, that's all that is necessary.

If people want to donate to Oxbridge with the express purpose of providing scholarships to international students, fair enough, but I don't think Oxbridge should squander 'general donations' on giving internationals a full-ride. How exactly does the university benefit from their presence?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an International student from India, and I've been offered admission to a 4 year course in Biochemistry at University College, Oxford. Now I really really want to go, because my country has very limited opportunities for research, but my full four year fees comes up to about 170000 GBP (everything included), which is WAY more than I can possibly afford. Is there any sort of financial assistance available to me? I know there are the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, but those are very limited in number. Can anyone help me?
    I'm afraid your options are limited - Oxford's rich, but that's at least in part because it sells its degrees for high prices! Funding for internationals is limited.

Your most likely sources of help:

University - send an e-mail to as many relevant departments as possible now.
    College - send e-mails now.
    Your own country - many SE asian students are funded by their own governments. You might be less lucky being from India, but worth a try.
    Charities - not impossible, but if you're not from a very poor background might not be very likely.

Look long and hard - its your future at stake. But it may not be possible sadly.

(Original post by cambio wechsel)
    opportunities for research are very limited for undergraduates even at the University of Oxford.
    Except its an integral and required part of the biochem undergrad course...

If you specifically mean securing a PhD is difficult, then yes fair enough.

(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    **** it - just go. It's paid back in instalments, and will get written off after a certain time period. Plus, if you're in a foreign country, it's difficult to for them to make you pay it back.
    Surely you are not serious?

In case you are: They ask for proof you have the money before you start. Even if you got past that through some kind of fraud, they will expect fees to be paid at the start of each term. Do you think they will just... not notice when the money doesn't come in? And they will not just look the other way with £100k+ stakes - they will kick OP out. They are not running a charity.

Among the worst advice I've seen on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    1. 'Slightly less' is a bit of an exaggeration, most EU/EEA countries are considerably cheaper than the UK. True, Ireland isn't - but it is still cheaper. Many universities in Europe, including the ones I mentioned in my post, offer English-taught undergraduate degrees.
    2. I don't think research should be a consideration at undergraduate, the OP won't be doing any. I'm not sure about TCD, but certainly Karolinska is just as strong in the life sciences as Oxford.
    4. I didn't say the OP shouldn't have applied, I agree that there's nothing wrong with taking a punt. I just think it was a bit foolish to apply without doing some serious research into scholarships / alternative funding streams first. Why have they left it so long?
    I know, I messed up, man. Frankly, I didn't even expect to get it. I always thought I'll figure something out eventually, but I guess now is that eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'm afraid your options are limited - Oxford's rich, but that's at least in part because it sells its degrees for high prices! Funding for internationals is limited.

Your own country - many SE asian students are funded by their own governments. You might be less lucky being from India, but worth a try.
    Charities - not impossible, but if you're not from a very poor background might not be very likely.

Look long and hard - its your future at stake. But it may not be possible sadly.

In case you are: They ask for proof you have the money before you start. Even if you got past that through some kind of fraud, they will expect fees to be paid at the start of each term. Do you think they will just... not notice when the money doesn't come in? And they will not just look the other way with £100k+ stakes - they will kick OP out. They are not running a charity.

Thank you. In fact, I'm going to bookmark this answer. You're a lifesaver pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)

Works for home students

ReputationRep:

Just because i said you should invest in your own country, doesn't mean that i am being racist okay>? Just realistic!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im 14 years old and I am living in the UK, currently doing GCSEs. I am also from Indian origin and I feel real bad for you. I would dream of going to Oxford and I really want to one day. So you should be really proud of yourself for being offered a place at Oxford and I looked it up and the success rate is like 22.6% [2013 i couldn't find any later stats(brief look)] for biochemistry and you are from India making it a little harder. So you should keep trying and trying and maybe look for more help on places like reddit or something you might the answer you need.

I hope you do make it to Oxford and good job for making it this far.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.