Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice is appreciated.

I have been accepted to Glasgow and Bristol for the two year law degree. My situation is a little unique as I am Canadian in his mid forties with a family. I currently work in the tax field (Tax Manager) of a large company here in Canada and am considering staying in the UK once my degree is completed and pursuing a career in tax law (I have a UK passport). Would Glasgow or Bristol be a better location to jump start a career in tax law? If I was required to move to London, which university would have a more favourable rating? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm by no means an expert on either course, you need to check whether one is based on English Law and the other Scottish Law, and how that might impact your ability to work in the profession in either country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow for Scots Law, Bristol for England & Wales Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddcod)
    Any advice is appreciated.

I have been accepted to Glasgow and Bristol for the two year law degree. My situation is a little unique as I am Canadian in his mid forties with a family. I currently work in the tax field (Tax Manager) of a large company here in Canada and am considering staying in the UK once my degree is completed and pursuing a career in tax law (I have a UK passport). Would Glasgow or Bristol be a better location to jump start a career in tax law? If I was required to move to London, which university would have a more favourable rating? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Depends on where you want to practise, as the law of the two countries is vastly different. If you want to practise in Scotland, go for Glasgow, but if you want to practise in England or Wales, go to Bristol. If you want to transfer to London, going to Bristol would be a necessity, unless you want to waste money retraining after time at Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol if you wanna practice in England and Wales, Glasgow if you want to practice in Scotland. I'm sure that the principles overlap between the two systems on a number of issues, even though there's obviously a divergence in the relevant cases and statutory provision for either jurisdiction (e.g. the labelling of homicide law in Scotland v that in England)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.