Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I use my school or college tutor as a reference for UCAS Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19, finished college last year with BB in health and social care and D in sociology A-levels. I'm filling out my UCAS application ready to send off this weekend and i'm stuck between asking my college tutor (from last year) for a reference or asking my old school tutor (from 3 years ago) for a reference. At school I had a good attendance score, attitude to learning and did fairly good at my GCSE's and I got on really well with my teachers and my tutor. At college I had really poor attendance in both years and didn't get any with my tutor, I asked my college teachers for a reference but they all said ask your tutor. I took a gap year after college in order to travel and get some experience at a job but i'm half way through it, still looking for a healthcare job now claiming benefits and haven't traveled but I'm now saving up to travel this summer, my college tutor didn't want me to take a year off which led to a bit of an argument, he also warned me against resisting my sociology as examand told me I would probably do worse, I went from a grade E to a C in my AS exams but still came out with a D over all.

My question is though would it be better getting a reference from school where I did so much better but it was 3 years ago, or getting a reference from college from last year?

ReputationRep:
    College is more recent so go with them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Given how close you are to the deadline, it will be whoever can do it in time. Ideally though it should be your most recent contact, I.e. College.

I would get calling them today to check someone can actually do it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.