Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So those who did thier gcse's and have done or currently taking A level maths how would you compare it with GCSE maths? Maths is my strongest subject and i found it relatively easy at GCSE but I dont know whether i am intelligent enough for A level maths. Actually sometimes i doubt that am good at maths, even though i got top marks in class but then again am out shopping and find it difficult to add up some prices! Ah well your views would help those who have had experience (i will also be taking further maths if i get A*)

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot more interesting at A Level. Personally, I thought GCSE Maths was crap (though that might have been cos there was quite a bit of probability and statistics and I despise that) and you learn a ton of new stuff at A Level (more algebra, stuff called calculus, more trig). I got a B at GCSE and a B at A Level, so if you're heading for an A/A* at GCSE you should be fine. You've still gotta work at it and practice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shellebell)
    So those who did thier gcse's and have done or currently taking A level maths how would you compare it with GCSE maths? Maths is my strongest subject and i found it relatively easy at GCSE but I dont know whether i am intelligent enough for A level maths. Actually sometimes i doubt that am good at maths, even though i got top marks in class but then again am out shopping and find it difficult to add up some prices! Ah well your views would help those who have had experience (i will also be taking further maths if i get A*)
    Hey don't worry, I am doing a degree in maths and I find it hard to add up sometimes .

I got an A at GCSE, and after talking to my maths teacher he suggested I do Maths and Further Maths at A-level, because I was thinking of applying to do Physics, and universities quite like further.

I didn't think i'd be that good at it, but I stuck with it, got two A's at A-level and am now doing a joint Maths and Physics degree. But ask me to add up or multiply and I reach for the calculator .

ReputationRep:
    tru...my multiplication is terrible...actually i dnt think ive ever known the,!
    but i still got my a* at gcse and hopin (fingers croassed) for an a at AS. It is much more interesting and u seem really gud at it...at AS its more the getting round the problem that requires steps from many methods to get to answer...and its quite interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I changed from Govt. and Politics at the last minute to do Maths at A-level and haven't looked back. I thought I was **** at GCSE, put in a load of work at the last minute and got an A, and now waiting on my AS results which I'm fairly confident about. It is really really good at A-level - I'm doing further AS next year along with A2 maths because I just love it that much - so definitely go for it, you're not gonna lose out on anything.

ReputationRep:
    Great thanks for the replies. Its given me more confidence and i feel more eager to take maths and further maths too.

Thanks, anymore help also appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Maths does indeed kick some serious ass - I'm going to be doing Maths and Further Maths in September....tried learning some of the 'old' P1 stuff (well the stuff that'll be in C1 - I downloaded a Specification ) - tisn't too bad so far....can't wait to get started - hmmm the rest of the course looks hard though....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.