Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Second degree DEBT!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have a degree in Criminology which I graduated from in 2014 so my fees were just over £3k when i started (as it was the year before they brought in the £9k fees) I havent started repaying this loan back theres also maintenance loans on top of that so i dread to think what the debt is now!
    Anyway I have just been accepted on a nursing degree (with the intention of going into mental health) obviously I will have to get the loans for the tuition fees which are now over 9k on top of my already increasing debt!
    My question is what are peoples opinions on doing this second degree?? Some people are telling me im mad and shouldnt get my self into anymore debt (which panics me) then other people tell me that its not a 'proper' debt and ill only pay a little off monthly when I do finally start working so i wont notice!
    Im really in two minds as to whether to accept the place on the nursing course but at the same time its something i really want to do!
    Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky175)
    Right, I have a degree in Criminology which I graduated from in 2014 so my fees were just over £3k when i started (as it was the year before they brought in the £9k fees) I havent started repaying this loan back theres also maintenance loans on top of that so i dread to think what the debt is now!
    Anyway I have just been accepted on a nursing degree (with the intention of going into mental health) obviously I will have to get the loans for the tuition fees which are now over 9k on top of my already increasing debt!
    My question is what are peoples opinions on doing this second degree?? Some people are telling me im mad and shouldnt get my self into anymore debt (which panics me) then other people tell me that its not a 'proper' debt and ill only pay a little off monthly when I do finally start working so i wont notice!
    Im really in two minds as to whether to accept the place on the nursing course but at the same time its something i really want to do!
    Thanks!
    You are unlikely to ever pay off the debt either way if you make the standard repayments, so don't worry about it. Functionally, it doesn't make much difference if the debt is 20k or 200k for most people.

If you are sure this is the career you want, go for it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Student Financial Support

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.