Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I'm going to do Alevel at home
    I got a few questions pls
    First what is different between pure ,further ....
    And what is best textbook maths for self teaching at home
    And what board is easier for me to pass
    AQA.?Edexcel? OCR?
    And sorry if my English is not that good to ask my you questions properly
    Good luck to everyone
    Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roham22)
    Hi everyone
    AQA.?Edexcel? OCR?
    Good luck to everyone
    Regards
    There is very little difference between the examiners. The exam regulators job is to ensure that it would not be easier to pass a domestic uk A level based on the examiner you choose. You should not however do the OCR-MEI specification because it has a coursework component in the C3 unit that is very difficult for private candidates to get verified and marked.

The most widely taken examiner is Edexcel which results in a good range of resources being available to students who self study including the excellent www.examsolutions.net web site. In my opinion, edexcel would be your best choice IF you can find a local exam centre that can provide the exams at reasonable cost.

The best text books for Edexcel are these;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-...+maths+edexcel
    One for each of the 6 units. But there are many other alternatives that are completely fine.

A level maths is a modular qualification with a variety of units that can be combined to meet the requirements of the specification. The units and the allowed combinations are clearly explained in the specification that you will find on your examiner web site.

A level maths is going through an update at the moment. If you will be ready to take the 6 exams in summer 2018 or before then you should study the current specification. If your plan is to take exams in summer 2019 or after then you need to study for the new specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    AQA.?Edexcel? OCR?
    Good luck to everyone
    Regards
    I've done Edexcel throughout my whole life and it's easy. I am self-teaching AS atm and will be writing my exams this June.
    Further pure maths is a bit hard but you can find resources. Pure maths on the other hand is Core mathematics. There is another one: Further maths- Decision mathematics, Mechanics and statistics.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reshyna)
    I've done Edexcel throughout my whole life and it's easy. I am self-teaching AS atm and will be writing my exams this June.
    Further pure maths is a bit hard but you can find resources. Pure maths on the other hand is Core mathematics. There is another one: Further maths- Decision mathematics, Mechanics and statistics.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    There is very little difference between the examiners. The exam regulators job is to ensure that it would not be easier to pass a domestic uk A level based on the examiner you choose. You should not however do the OCR-MEI specification because it has a coursework component in the C3 unit that is very difficult for private candidates to get verified and marked.

The most widely taken examiner is Edexcel which results in a good range of resources being available to students who self study including the excellent www.examsolutions.net web site. In my opinion, edexcel would be your best choice IF you can find a local exam centre that can provide the exams at reasonable cost.

One for each of the 6 units. But there are many other alternatives that are completely fine.

A level maths is a modular qualification with a variety of units that can be combined to meet the requirements of the specification. The units and the allowed combinations are clearly explained in the specification that you will find on your examiner web site.

A level maths is going through an update at the moment. If you will be ready to take the 6 exams in summer 2018 or before then you should study the current specification. If your plan is to take exams in summer 2019 or after then you need to study for the new specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to do my exam June 2017
    I know sounds a bit difficult
    But I got strong background
    Ivery studied petroleum engineering

Do you think this book is enough for EXAM?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

That's when I'm also gonna write my exams.
    The exam paper covers the topics in the edexcel syllabus book.

ReputationRep:

The book I mentioned is enough for the C1 exam and the examsolutions web site can offer alternative explanations and examples if you need them. You then need to do lot's of practice with past papers. You would need 5 more books for the other 5 units that comprise the qualification, C2, C3 and C4 plus whichever applications unit combination you opt for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reshyna)
    That's when I'm also gonna write my exams.
    The exam paper covers the topics in the edexcel syllabus book.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The book I mentioned is enough for the C1 exam and the examsolutions web site can offer alternative explanations and examples if you need them. You then need to do lot's of practice with past papers. You would need 5 more books for the other 5 units that comprise the qualification, C2, C3 and C4 plus whichever applications unit combination you opt for.
    I'm a bit confused about British education system
    Could you pls help me to explain about all unites and books which I need
    I have no problem about understanding of maths
    Ive passed the all this subjects in my engineering course already
    Just i need to know what I should study ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused about British education system
    Could you pls help me to explain about all unites and books which I need
    I have no problem about understanding of maths
    Ive passed the all this subjects in my engineering course already
    Just i need to know what I should study ?
    You already know that several different examiners offer A level in every subject and you have to choose which one you are going to take. I already explained that Maths is a modular A level. That means you have to complete exams in six units and the results are combined to decide if you pass and what grade you are awarded.

Edexcel offer 18 units and if you take all of them you are awarded 3 A levels. If you only want on A level then you can do either Maths (4 core units plus 2 application units) or Pure Maths (4 core units plus 2 further maths units).

Assuming you choose maths......Four of the units are compulsary, you have to take Core Maths 1,2,3 and 4. You get to choose which other 2 units you will take to complete it. As you have an engineering background then the Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2 units is probably your best choice. The specfication document produced by every examiner will tell what is in each unit and which combinations of units are allowed. You should read it.

When you decide which examiner and which units then you may need to obtain text books but if your knowledge is already high then you may be able to tackle the exam without books. Try some past papers from the examiner web site to assess your current skill levels.

IF you choose to be examined by Edexcel, the book I linked you to is the first in a series of books, there is a separate book for each exam you will take. There are many alternative books available and as long as they are specifically designed for the Edexcel specfication they would be fine. (Generic text books that are stated as suitable for any examiner can be confusing for those who self study as they may contain content that isn't relevant to a specific examiner/exam)

You must make a decision soon if you want to take exams this summer as exam entries are done in February and fees rise dramatically if your entry is late.

ReputationRep:
    You already know that several different examiners offer A level in every subject and you have to choose which one you are going to take. I already explained that Maths is a modular A level. That means you have to complete exams in six units and the results are combined to decide if you pass and what grade you are awarded.

Edexcel offer 18 units and if you take all of them you are awarded 3 A levels. If you only want on A level then you can do either Maths (4 core units plus 2 application units) or Pure Maths (4 core units plus 2 further maths units).

Assuming you choose maths......Four of the units are compulsary, you have to take Core Maths 1,2,3 and 4. You get to choose which other 2 units you will take to complete it. As you have an engineering background then the Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2 units is probably your best choice. The specfication document produced by every examiner will tell what is in each unit and which combinations of units are allowed. You should read it.

When you decide which examiner and which units then you may need to obtain text books but if your knowledge is already high then you may be able to tackle the exam without books. Try some past papers from the examiner web site to assess your current skill levels.

IF you choose to be examined by Edexcel, the book I linked you to is the first in a series of books, there is a separate book for each exam you will take. There are many alternative books available and as long as they are specifically designed for the Edexcel specfication they would be fine. (Generic text books that are stated as suitable for any examiner can be confusing for those who self study as they may contain content that isn't relevant to a specific examiner/exam)

You must make a decision soon if you want to take exams this summer as exam entries are done in February and fees rise dramatically if your entry is late.
    Omg
    You don't know how you have helped me mate
    I also gonna start to study all unites as much country
    I don't forget your help
    Thank you so much
    I go for edexcel
    Do you know how much is exam fee?

ReputationRep:
    I think OCR (not MEI) is the best, pretty low boundaries and simple content. Best textbooks and revision guides will be from Hodder Education, I also recommend Soloman Press worksheets and practice papers (worksheets are designed for Edexcel but compatible with OCR, they make practice papers tailored to OCR). Also recommend Jack Brown on YouTube, excellent guy and makes everything so easy to understand
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There's a different fee for each unit. But I think that they have to be the same this year. You can get more information in the official edexcel website.
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/home.html
    U can get many information regarding edexcel.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Omg
    You don't know how you have helped me mate
    I also gonna start to study all unites as much country
    I don't forget your help
    Thank you so much
    I go for edexcel
    You are very welcome. Good luck with your ambitious plan.

You will find info about Edexcel A level maths here
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2008.html

You will find links to helpful resources here:
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/#

Finding somehwere to take your exams is very important. It's up to you to search for an exam centre and agree a price with them.
    Any school or college is allowed to accept "private candidates" to take exams, but most don't because they prefer to avoid the extra administration.
    Check the Edexcel Private Candidate pages on their web site and see if they recommend anywhere close to where you live.
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...s.html/student

If you can't find anything listed, phone colleges and schools in your area and ask to speak to the exams officer.
    The exam fee is small but everywhere will charge you more than the basic fee, roughly £50 per exam (£300 total) would be about average. You might find somewhere less expensive but some in London could easily charge £600.

If you can't find anywhere to do Edexcel then choose a different examiner but don't spend a lot on books until you know.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    You are very welcome. Good luck with your ambitious plan.

You will find info about Edexcel A level maths here
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2008.html

You will find links to helpful resources here:
    http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/#

Finding somehwere to take your exams is very important. It's up to you to search for an exam centre and agree a price with them.
    Any school or college is allowed to accept "private candidates" to take exams, but most don't because they prefer to avoid the extra administration.
    Check the Edexcel Private Candidate pages on their web site and see if they recommend anywhere close to where you live.
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...s.html/student

If you can't find anything listed, phone colleges and schools in your area and ask to speak to the exams officer.
    The exam fee is small but everywhere will charge you more than the basic fee, roughly £50 per exam (£300 total) would be about average. You might find somewhere less expensive but some in London could easily charge £600.

If you can't find anywhere to do Edexcel then choose a different examiner but don't spend a lot on books until you know.
    Hi mate
    I have tried to contact Pearson team but I could not find any link or email
    Is it an exam Centre?
    What exactly they providing?

And another question I have find a centre for physics
    It was £295 for exam (3 paper)
    And £996 for 12 practical
    That's really expensive for me
    How can I find a affordable centre or get some help or loan for it
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot
    Keep in touch mate
    ---
    Don't put your phone number on here buddy, trust me.

Hi mate
    I have tried to contact Pearson team but I could not find any link or email
    Is it an exam Centre?
    What exactly they providing?

And another question I have find a centre for physics
    It was £295 for exam (3 paper)
    And £996 for 12 practical
    That's really expensive for me
    How can I find a affordable centre or get some help or loan for it
    Exam centres will typically be local schools and colleges. You will be able to find one that will let you take the exams for far cheaper, but I am, not sure about the practicals.

You can find the Edexcel maths textbooks online if you have a look around, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Don't put your phone number on here buddy, trust me.

Exam centres will typically be local schools and colleges. You will be able to find one that will let you take the exams for far cheaper, but I am, not sure about the practicals.

You can find the Edexcel maths textbooks online if you have a look around, too.
    Hi Thanks you for your reply
    I'm new to this site
    Why I shouldn't put my number here ?
    And how can I find collage to accept me for exams?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi Thanks you for your reply
    I'm new to this site
    Why I shouldn't put my number here ?
    And how can I find collage to accept me for exams?
    Because TSR is full of children who can and will use it to mess with you. If you want someone to have it send it to them in a private message.

There used to be a list on the Edexcel website which I'm sure will still be there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.