Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda caught between the two.

Based on what i read so far, manchester is quite crazy? as in a lot of the students at UoM get drunk all the time, party, smoke? dunno how true that is.
    As for UoB, slightly worried that the city of bath is really small, and that since UoB is quite new as compared to UoM it might not be as reputable/ employers would choose manchester graduates over bath graduates.

Any one has any opinion/input? any help is appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yahoogirl)

Based on what i read so far, manchester is quite crazy? as in a lot of the students at UoM get drunk all the time, party, smoke? dunno how true that is.
    As for UoB, slightly worried that the city of bath is really small, and that since UoB is quite new as compared to UoM it might not be as reputable/ employers would choose manchester graduates over bath graduates.

Can you visit them both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Can you visit them both?
    Unfortunately I can't, I'm an international, and won't have a chance to go over

ReputationRep:
    The international reputation of Bath is pretty good and getting better so I doubt that would be a problem.

As for drinking, etc. at university you will always be able to find your niche if you look hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    How about academic wise? Are the professors/lecturers good at what they're doing? Also how important is good placement? Cos if i go to UoM i'd be doing Chem eng yini, but at UoB it'll just be Chem eng. Would the good placement be important even if I don't do year with placement for UoB
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

If I were in your position I would go for Bath. Great city, lovely area, and the year in industry is a huge bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    If I were in your position I would go for Bath. Great city, lovely area, and the year in industry is a huge bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If i were to go to bath, i wouldn't do year in industry, as that would mean that its a 5 year course

The thing is that i grew up in a big city, i have no doubt that bath is a great place, but slightly worried that it'll be too small
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

You could look at Unistats for Chemical Engineering in each university.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    If i were to go to bath, i wouldn't do year in industry, as that would mean that its a 5 year course

The thing is that i grew up in a big city, i have no doubt that bath is a great place, but slightly worried that it'll be too small
    Hi,

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student at Bath. I just thought I'd let you know of my experiences of living in Bath so far, having moved from London.

I was worried about the size too when I applied but I really haven't found it an issue. There isn't perhaps the same range of restaurants/bars/clubs as there is in big cities but there are lots of perks of living in a smaller city.

Everything is very compact, so getting around is easy as nothing is more than a half an hour journey away. Also because it's a smaller place, there is more of a focus on the student population so we get better looked after than at other universities in big cities. And if you do ever have a need to go to a bigger city, Bristol is just a ten minute train journey away.

If you can, I'd come and visit it and see what you think. Hope that helps! If you've got any more questions, just quote me.

Tim

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.