Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a leave of absence from uni, what would happen to student loan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this type of thing has been answered many times before but I really need help. I have no idea how student finance works so you'll have to really explain this to me. Due to mental health issues, I am having to take a leave of absence from uni as it's just too overwhelming and I can't face another day there. The problem is I've just been paid my student loan for this term and the majority of it has just been taken out of my account for my accommodation. If I take a leave of absence now, I heard something about how I would have to pay back my loan for this month right away?! I cannot afford that at all. What about if they take my mental illness into consideration? as it's completely out of my control. Even if you say I shouldn't leave now, I will be withdrawn from the university anyway due to my poor attendance as they have emailed me telling me I need to make a decision as soon as possible. I know I also should have probably left earlier before receiving my loan but I also would have had to pay for my accommodation because I haven't found a replacement to live there yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pealea)
    Sorry if this type of thing has been answered many times before but I really need help. I have no idea how student finance works so you'll have to really explain this to me. Due to mental health issues, I am having to take a leave of absence from uni as it's just too overwhelming and I can't face another day there. The problem is I've just been paid my student loan for this term and the majority of it has just been taken out of my account for my accommodation. If I take a leave of absence now, I heard something about how I would have to pay back my loan for this month right away?! I cannot afford that at all. What about if they take my mental illness into consideration? as it's completely out of my control. Even if you say I shouldn't leave now, I will be withdrawn from the university anyway due to my poor attendance as they have emailed me telling me I need to make a decision as soon as possible. I know I also should have probably left earlier before receiving my loan but I also would have had to pay for my accommodation because I haven't found a replacement to live there yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hi,

If you are going to suspend your studies, then we will be notified from your university that this is the case and we will reassess your application. Now this may incur an overpayment of your loans/grants depending on what you are awarded. You will receive a letter out in the post advising on the next steps, you can set up repayment plans to repay at an amount that is suitable for you. You will not be asked to pay in full if you are not financial able to. I hope this helps.

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.