Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 years old, studying BSc International Politics, absolutely smashed the first 2 years and got a first. However, this year i've spent so long trying to figure out how to do a dissertation and have found it really hard to even get started and this despite help from the university department. In many ways I have also lost interest in it. It is looking like I could possibly fail or get an ordinary degree. As both are obviously useless in terms of graduate schemes, if I do happen to fail, what can I do to ensure that I don't work in retail or some dead end job for the rest of my life? Apart from getting an A* in maths, A in ICT at A level an B and C in Finance and Product design in AS level respectively, I don't really have any work experience (apart from retail )and I am struggling to find an interest in any career. Any helpful suggestions? Obviously I'll try and smash out this dissertation, but asking just in case.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qux1993)
    I'm 23 years old, studying BSc International Politics, absolutely smashed the first 2 years and got a first. However, this year i've spent so long trying to figure out how to do a dissertation and have found it really hard to even get started and this despite help from the university department. In many ways I have also lost interest in it. It is looking like I could possibly fail or get an ordinary degree. As both are obviously useless in terms of graduate schemes, if I do happen to fail, what can I do to ensure that I don't work in retail or some dead end job for the rest of my life? Apart from getting an A* in maths, A in ICT at A level an B and C in Finance and Product design in AS level respectively, I don't really have any work experience (apart from retail )and I am struggling to find an interest in any career. Any helpful suggestions? Obviously I'll try and smash out this dissertation, but asking just in case.
    It sounds like you are very capable of achieving what you want - and have previously achieved good grades, however it sounds like you need some direction in terms of career advice, which is okay. It can be a lot of pressure trying to figure out what you'd like to do for a job after full-time education. Even if you don't go into the career area you've studied your degree in - employers will still see be interested to see the skills you've acquired and put into practice to achieve your degree. These are your transferable skills which will always be invaluable throughout your working life.

If you don't get the results you wanted then there are options; it doesn't mean failure - it just means having to take a different route to get where you will land up - and you won't be alone. I would advise giving the National Careers Service a call as they can talk you through some options; their number is 0800 100 900. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you have a 1st in second year its likely you are more capable than you think. I spent ages trying to figure out how to do my Masters Dissertation and struggled to get started and I still managed to get 66%.Also you'll likely find that you don't need to do brilliantly to get at least a 2:1 in your final year, plus you'll have other modules that will count towards your final year mark. With regards to your post uni career, the best thing you can do is get more work experience and get advice on how to write a good application- your uni careers service should run workshops on that. They should also help you explore potential careers. Also bare in mind for graduate schemes most are closing or about to close so if you wanted to start this September you'd have to get a move on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.