Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not letting fear hold you back- Graduate Watch

I have an interview coming very soon, working within a software tech firm, and while I could be more prepared, there are parts of the job spec that I feel I could do. I picked up the technical skills while at university- others im not so familiar, but I'm willing to learn to fill those gaps.

Some of the skills I worked on as part of a team, but haven't really crafted those skills to perfection. I can do them in theory and I've been part of teams where they've been done, but I haven't polished those skills in their entirety, and independently.

But I have the potential- how do I relay that to an employer that maybe already wants to see evidence of that?

I feel a bit naive and inexperienced really, even though I'm going for like junior roles within companies- and my confidence isn't great!

Should I be successful in getting the job, I'll feel a little bit intimidated because I wouldn't know what to do. Like I'm not the most social person, and I have social anxiety and although I know the job and what they potentially expect, I don't want to be thrown in an office one day and just left to my own devices. Because, well, that would terrify me!

Clearly it is a distinct lack of experience. I can do the things they require, since I've done it before while at University (albeit your molly-coddled in uni) its just translating that in the real world.

I wouldn't mind, but I graduated nearly a year ago. Since then I've worked for the odd charity doing ad hoc work/volunteering and working in a paid job that is completely irrelevant to my desired field.

Do any other graduates feel the same?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.