Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Daily Mail readers find out humans originate from Africa Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this is was taught in my first year in secondary school. I assume it's a widely believed theory & therefore common knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    Top rated comment:
    harryhindsight, london, United Kingdom, 1 day agoIs this story a plant, part of a program to condition us to believe we are a nation of immigration and ready us for a new wave?

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I'm sure this is was taught in my first year in secondary school. I assume it's a widely believed theory & therefore common knowledge?
    That's why the title specifies daily mail readers :P Also you would be surprised I know people that can't even say the years that WW1 and WW2 took place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish Person)
    That's why the title specifies daily mail readers :P Also you would be surprised I know people that can't even say the years that WW1 and WW2 took place.
    I have a relative in his 40s who didn't realise that Britain had fought against Germany in both WW1 and WW2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    This is a theory. I believe that God created all humans.
    Yup - a scientific theory, backed up by plenty of peer-reviewed evidence.

Your idea, on the other hand is, scientifically speaking, only a hypothesis with no supporting evidence and, what is more, plenty of evidence that tells us that it could not have happened as described in your scriptures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Yup - a scientific theory, backed up by plenty of peer-reviewed evidence.

Your idea, on the other hand is, scientifically speaking, only a hypothesis with no supporting evidence and, what is more, plenty of evidence that tells us that it could not have happened as described in your scriptures.
    Ok, let's agree to disagree. You're not going to convince me and I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you. No need for insults.

ReputationRep:
    No need for insults.
    Well, I have not insulted you. If you feel the need to insult me you just carry on.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let's agree to disagree. You're not going to convince me and I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you. No need for insults.
    His post contained no insults of any kind.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have not insulted you. If you feel the need to insult me you just carry on.
    Tbh you did kinda say "only a hypothesis" and then started to imply that it's false. That's quite offensive to someone religious when they've really committed their life or a large part of it to that belief. Faith is a big deal, it's not something that should be brushed off or mocked- that's highly offensive to the billions of people around the world who do believe strongly in God and that he created us and have spent their lives with God playing a big part of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Tbh you did kinda say "only a hypothesis" and then started to imply that it's false. That's quite offensive

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you did kinda say "only a hypothesis" and then started to imply that it's false. That's quite offensive to someone religious when they've really committed their life or a large part of it to that belief. Faith is a big deal, it's not something that should be brushed off or mocked- that's highly offensive to the billions of people around the world who do believe strongly in God and that he created us and have spent their lives with God playing a big part of them.
    Don't be silly. You believe whatever superstitious nonsense you like, but don't try to make out that it is an insult when I point out that your beliefs have no supporting scientific evidence. If people like you take offence at such an innocuous and true statement there is no wonder at the trouble religion has caused over the centuries..

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly. You believe whatever superstitious nonsense you like, but don't try to make out that it is an insult when I point out that your beliefs have no supporting scientific evidence. If people like you take offence at such an innocuous and true statement there is no wonder at the trouble religion has caused over the centuries..
    Honestly, I wish you could understand how insulting it is when one believes so much in God, when you know for certain that he exists and that he has created us, and you can see his work being done every second and you hear people calling your strong, solid faith a piece of "superstitious nonsense"- its highly offensive to the billions of people who devote their lives to faith in God. You don't understand the sacrifices that God made for us and you seek to insult and undermine those who find joy and relief in faith in God.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I wish you could understand how insulting it is when one believes so much in God, when you know for certain that he exists and that he has created us, and you can see his work being done every second and you hear people calling your strong, solid faith a piece of "superstitious nonsense"- its highly offensive to the billions of people who devote their lives to faith in God. You don't understand the sacrifices that God made for us and you seek to insult and undermine those who find joy and relief in faith in God.
    Amen. It's sad that people feel the need to call people 'superstitious' for believing in God- I never call atheists superstitious for believing ehat they believe. I wish people could just learn to respect others' beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    First - his post was in no way offensive, either in intention or language used, whatsoever.

Second - often offence is taken not given. If you feel offended by such a simple statement as "only a hypothesis" then I think you might need some thicker skin.

Third - you do not speak on behalf of billions of religious people, plenty of religious would not find that at all offensive so less of the melodrama please.

Finally - even if his post was offensive (which it wasn't) you have no right to not be offended.

ReputationRep:
    You don't though.

And even if you did believe so strongly, why would the opinions of others matter to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    tbf we never learnt about it in school, I only know of it because I read a lot when I was younger
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayan98)
    Top rated comment:
    harryhindsight, london, United Kingdom, 1 day agoIs this story a plant, part of a program to condition us to believe we are a nation of immigration and ready us for a new wave?

lol
    The Daily Mail's comments section is nothing if not predictable :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold98)
    Amen. It's sad that people feel the need to call people 'superstitious' for believing in God- I never call atheists superstitious for believing ehat they believe. I wish people could just learn to respect others' beliefs.
    Belief in gods is irrational, by definition, as there is no credible scientific evidence to support it. All irrational beliefs are superstitions. All superstitions are irrational beliefs. It is a matter of definition.

If fact, religion is merely institutionalised superstition.

There is no difference in value between believing that an unevidenced deity causes thunderstorms, or life or whatever, than in believing that bad things will befall you if you spill the salt, step on pavement cracks or see a black cat.

I cannot be held responsible for your disappointment in having that simple truth pointed out to you.

To not believe in something for which there is no credible supporting evidence is rational, not irrational. You, a religious person, are rational for not believing that there is no chocolate teapot orbiting Mars as there is no credible scientific evidence to support such a belief. Atheists lack of belief in the existence of gods is, similarly, rational (even if it is wrong) and therefore not superstitious.

As for respect, I respect your right to believe whatever you like for whatever reason you like. I will not necessarily respect your actual belief, and neither should I. If you said you believe (as many have, historically) that the gods must be appeased by regular human sacrifice I would respect neither your belief nor you. But I would respect your right to hold it.

ReputationRep:
    Britain has only been permanantly inhabited for the last 15,000 years. Do the Mail readers think that our population arrived through spontaneous generation?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.