Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, so university was something that I always dreamt about and I was so excited to be going there. I went there with a lot of expectations (something that I have now realised was a mistake) and though I quite liked fresher’s week, I soon realised I didn’t like my flatmates, except one. I also became really homesick and it’s just as bad now as it was before, and I constantly wish I was at home. I didn’t expect the course to be so hard and for lectures to be so boring, and as last term went on I became increasingly bored and lonely. I finally decided to move flat during Christmas, which I’m glad I did, but obviously in the new flat there is that feeling where I know I am the new one, and the girls have formed a clique as they all do the same course. I am just so sad ALL the time, to the point where I want to be sick, I rarely go out as everyone goes out with their flatmates and if I do I always feel slightly uncomfortable because I don’t feel fully part of the group, and there are now nights where I am literally crying myself to sleep. I never knew a place with so many people could be so isolating. And to finish it all off, I don’t even have a clue what I’m going to do with housing next year as most people are moving in with their flat, and the two offers I had have both fallen through. I hate it all
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so university was something that I always dreamt about and I was so excited to be going there. I went there with a lot of expectations (something that I have now realised was a mistake) and though I quite liked fresher’s week, I soon realised I didn’t like my flatmates, except one. I also became really homesick and it’s just as bad now as it was before, and I constantly wish I was at home. I didn’t expect the course to be so hard and for lectures to be so boring, and as last term went on I became increasingly bored and lonely. I finally decided to move flat during Christmas, which I’m glad I did, but obviously in the new flat there is that feeling where I know I am the new one, and the girls have formed a clique as they all do the same course. I am just so sad ALL the time, to the point where I want to be sick, I rarely go out as everyone goes out with their flatmates and if I do I always feel slightly uncomfortable because I don’t feel fully part of the group, and there are now nights where I am literally crying myself to sleep. I never knew a place with so many people could be so isolating. And to finish it all off, I don’t even have a clue what I’m going to do with housing next year as most people are moving in with their flat, and the two offers I had have both fallen through. I hate it all
    Glad your new flat's a bit better at least, I'd give the other girls time though. Have you tried joining any societies at all, or are there any you might be interested in? Even if it's something you've never done before it can be a great way to meet new people and you have something in common to talk about already. The other thing is talk to your GP, and uni support services. The first so they know what's going on and can give you some help with your mental health, and the second that, academics and also possibly friends. They'll have seen loads of people in your situation and know how best to help you deal with it. You're not alone in this I promise! If you have a tutor they'd be good to talk to about the academic side too- it might be a different course or something would suit you better and you can restart in September- but if not the support services will have an idea too. They're probably your best bet with all of it, and societies. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.