Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Other than politics and some social stuff, most things I've heard about Texas are pretty positive :yep: Most Texans I've met are really nice and down to earth people and a lot of people I know end up in Rice, UTAustin, Texas A&M, Baylor, etc... for university.

I just don't like Texas sports teams but that's just a personal preference

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha. My parents are huge Texas Rangers fan. HUGE. We humor them but I am not big into sports.

To me, Texas has turned into a concrete jungle. I grew up in a one stoplight town that is one of those new 'yuppie' places now. It brings sad memories.

But you, in general, are right. The people as individuals can be extremely friendly. It has just turned a bit ugly lately with 'the politics and social stuff' but this could be said around many places in the States.

If you think about it, you could replace almost any area in the last paragraph. We, as a country and community, have become much more polarized and unwilling to listen when puts a stain on the hospitality which is usually so forthcoming.

But alas, we are in the UK now. And I do not miss the guns and the concrete. I do sometimes miss the heat. Ok, I miss the heat lots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    I'd just use mine as motivation. I could really use some.
    I'll give you some motivation! Study or the Terry Pratchett books are going to 'get it'. You know I will do it. You will never find them. *evil cackling*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugratsrus)
    I'll give you some motivation! Study or the Terry Pratchett books are going to 'get it'. You know I will do it. You will never find them. *evil cackling*
    Cruel and inhumane. Cruel and inhumane punishment. I'm doing my Maths right now!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

I'd just use mine as motivation. I could really use some.
    Idk... it's on my table right now, next to my St Andrews offer letter which is also there to keep me motivated to make grades

(Original post by auburnstar)
    They do say everything is bigger in Texas. Oklahoma is like Texas but smaller and shaped like a gun, which is a bit ironic if you think about it. xD

But most Texans are lovely as wolfmoon said.
    Everything is bigger in Texas One of my first best friends from outside of my country was a Texan :yep:

Haha. My parents are huge Texas Rangers fan. HUGE. We humor them but I am not big into sports.

To me, Texas has turned into a concrete jungle. I grew up in a one stoplight town that is one of those new 'yuppie' places now. It brings sad memories.

But you, in general, are right. The people as individuals can be extremely friendly. It has just turned a bit ugly lately with 'the politics and social stuff' but this could be said around many places in the States.

If you think about it, you could replace almost any area in the last paragraph. We, as a country and community, have become much more polarized and unwilling to listen when puts a stain on the hospitality which is usually so forthcoming.

But alas, we are in the UK now. And I do not miss the guns and the concrete. I do sometimes miss the heat. Ok, I miss the heat lots.
    For industrialisation, you can say that about everywhere in the US tbh. Yeah, politics polarised the country so much... families and friendships are broken and America is left to pick up the pieces... culminating in the hatred and anger that propelled this election cycle...

Hahaha, I don't like the Rangers :no:, as a Yankees fan I still remember the 2010 AL Championship series when the Rangers beat us to the pennant! Yankees pretty much slipped out of contention since then... Don't really care much about the Dallas Mavericks either :/

ReputationRep:
    Seasons of Oklahoma weather:

"Spring" aka tornado season, earthquakes
    "Summer" aka dying from sudden heat wave
    Those 2 wks after summer before winter in "Autumn" aka the only nice time of the year
    "Winter" aka blizzard snowstorm

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it has gone quiet here. I'm seeing virtual tumbleweed.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it has gone quiet here. I'm seeing virtual tumbleweed.
    Yeah. I guess people have either moved onto looking at other universities for their firms or are no longer interested, as they have their offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Yeah. I guess people have either moved onto looking at other universities for their firms or are no longer interested, as they have their offers.
    Probably, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    When I lived in the States, I didn't pay much attention to unis as I was too young. However, even I knew Oxford was among the very best. Oh, and there was something about a place called Cambridge ...
    in Massachusetts -- you know, where Harvard and MIT are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Montdale)
    in Massachusetts -- you know, where Harvard and MIT are.
    :laugh: How could I forget the Cambridge of the States?

ReputationRep:
    im still lurking

ReputationRep:
    I've been busy processing my offer from Oxford and rejection from Durham. If I was going to be rejected by one that is the right way around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pentaquark)
    im still lurking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 66mhnldn)
    I've been busy processing my offer from Oxford and rejection from Durham. If I was going to be rejected by one that is the right way around
    Indeed. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Offer holders activity seems to be mostly on Facebook now, setting up group chats etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qeyoo)
    Offer holders activity seems to be mostly on Facebook now, setting up group chats etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there any particular group chat for offer holders? I seem to be getting invited to several

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barbastelle)
    Is there any particular group chat for offer holders? I seem to be getting invited to several
    yh id like to know that too, looking for a chemistry chat, or a st catz chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3acetoneperoxide)
    yh id like to know that too, looking for a chemistry chat, or a st catz chat
    Yeah everything is on the oxford offer holders 2017/2018 page. There are subject group chats and specific college group chats people have set up.
    I think that page is the main one.
    Currently like just over 40 in the chem group chat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barbastelle)
    There are college and subject ones, but not a general chat, only a general page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pentaquark)
    Yeah everything is on the oxford offer holders 2017/2018 page. There are subject group chats and specific college group chats people have set up.
    I think that page is the main one.
    Currently like just over 40 in the chem group chat
    not to seem to stupid or anything but i can't for the life of me find it? its not a search result

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.