Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by saes)
    Thanks!!! Yeah, maybe! I have so many different options now it makes me dizzy
    Yeah same so much choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    apparently music acceptance rate was 48% this year
    thanks for making me feel better, statistics xDD

(however this is also reassuring - i got an interview w ABBB at AS so if I can bump it up at A2 - which would also make me less nervous - there's a decent chance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    apparently music acceptance rate was 48% this year
    thanks for making me feel better, statistics xDD

(however this is also reassuring - i got an interview w ABBB at AS so if I can bump it up at A2 - which would also make me less nervous - there's a decent chance)
    How do you know the stats if you don't mind me asking?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Oboe_Emily)
    How do you know the stats if you don't mind me asking?
    The college emailed me some general statistics - perhaps to compensate for the lack of actual feedback lmao

However I did do a Freedom of Information request and got average GCSE, acceptance rate overall, average AS grades/predictions and even the interview form and what the mark is. I also bugged the admissions tutor who told me about the process what's involved etc. I wish I had this information before lol I feel very well informed now!

To be fair this is a very small sample size of about 5 of us applying for the college (not sure how 48% acceptance would work actually, given that you can't divide 5 in half but oh well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saes)
    Thank you!! No, I've only gotten it through Track so I'm yet to hear from them directly. It feels so weird, I was sure I was going to be rejected. Not sure if I'll end up going though, free tutition in Sweden might be a better choice (especially with brexit..). However, it was surely a confidence boost to get accepted! And now I have a great opportunity at least but oh how difficult it will be to decide, ughhhh
    Well, from the sounds of it you've got some good options to pick from.

ReputationRep:
    The college emailed me some general statistics - perhaps to compensate for the lack of actual feedback lmao

However I did do a Freedom of Information request and got average GCSE, acceptance rate overall, average AS grades/predictions and even the interview form and what the mark is. I also bugged the admissions tutor who told me about the process what's involved etc. I wish I had this information before lol I feel very well informed now!

To be fair this is a very small sample size of about 5 of us applying for the college (not sure how 48% acceptance would work actually, given that you can't divide 5 in half but oh well).
    Ah I see, them saying average is probably a bit harsh, most people who apply are very much not average 😅
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah I see, them saying average is probably a bit harsh, most people who apply are very much not average 😅
    OH LOL I meant the average as in the average of acceptance xD I'm very well aware that AAAA at AS isn't average xD

Oh and if anyone's curious the interview criteria (for music at least) are: knowledge, powers of reasoning, communication and potential. For music they're graded out of three, 1 being excellent and 3 being below standard.

ReputationRep:
    OH LOL I meant the average as in the average of acceptance xD I'm very well aware that AAAA at AS isn't average xD

Oh and if anyone's curious the interview criteria (for music at least) are: knowledge, powers of reasoning, communication and potential. For music they're graded out of three, 1 being excellent and 3 being below standard.
    Ah lol 😂 I really want to know what I was graded now😂

ReputationRep:
    Ah lol 😂 I really want to know what I was graded now😂
    If anyone received a rejection feedback? If so how did they receive? By email? Or by post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalikumar)
    If anyone received a rejection feedback? If so how did they receive? By email? Or by post?
    I got an offer of a place, so I'm just curious to know why they liked me. But I thought they would email it to you if you asked.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I got an offer of a place, so I'm just curious to know why they liked me. But I thought they would email it to you if you asked.
    Some colleges like mine wanted the referee to ask for it. Rather than the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What were your AS grades (if they were in the realm of eg AABB-ABBB depending on context of the school it was probably the interview that swung it in your favour, for example)? You can email them asking for feedback, although their priority is probably rejectees. Equally, if you make the grades you can ask your tutor when you get there!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried applying the Freedom of Information to obtain more detailed feedback, such as your interview score? If so, did you email them and how did this process come about? Would really appreciate, got really vague feedback the other day agh

:bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Some colleges like mine wanted the referee to ask for it. Rather than the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's because you're a kappa and I find that notion disturbing :five:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dude stop spamming the thread. Some people will have got feedback but most won't and anyways, it's pretty generic most of the time (if they were actually honest you'd get teachers, students complaining etc). Email the college you applied to with an email titled "Feedback Request" and in the body state "I'd like to request feedback on my application. My UCAS candidate ID number is [10 digit number here]. Thank you." You should know who to contact because they (presumably) sent you a rejection letter/email with links.

ReputationRep:
    I got feedback a couple of weeks ago via email (I think it was about a week or so after the rejection?). I applied for Maths and Computer Science at St. John's.

It seems to vary a lot by subject, and by a lesser extent by college, but here's what I got (this is paraphrasing BTW):

* Standard preamble about "places are competitive, yadayada..." They gave admissions info for that college (how many applications they got overall for Maths and Joint subjects, how many offers they gave out and how many of those offers were to other colleges).
    * Admissions test score (the MAT), the number of people who sat my version of the test (it depends on what you're applying for - There's versions for Maths and not CompSci, CompSci and not Maths, and Maths and CompSci), and my ranking amongst those people. (I got 70/100, ranking me 46/306, for Maths and Compsci with 43 offers made).
    * My average interview score out of 9 (I got 6.61/9).
    * An overall application score out of 9. They said everyone with 8s and 9s got an offer. (I got a 7).
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    That's because you're a kappa and I find that notion disturbing :five:
    At least, I'm not a boosted kappa like you :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What were your AS grades (if they were in the realm of eg AABB-ABBB depending on context of the school it was probably the interview that swung it in your favour, for example)? You can email them asking for feedback, although their priority is probably rejectees. Equally, if you make the grades you can ask your tutor when you get there!
    My AS grades were AAAC, so I'm hoping I can make the grades to confirm the place. I may email to ask, but I'm not too sure yet
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My AS grades were AAAC, so I'm hoping I can make the grades to confirm the place. I may email to ask, but I'm not too sure yet
    AAAC is good for music provided the C's not in music (which I imagine it isn't). A friend of mine got A*A*A at A2 with AAAC at AS (AABC at the time because e was later able to re-sit one English paper). (E applied post-qualifications and now has an unconditional offer for Classics)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lewman99)
    They said everyone with 8s and 9s got an offer. (I got a 7).
    Damn, thinking of re-applying? What were your AS grades like (if you're not post-results applicant)?

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.