Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    IB results come out this Thursday & I'm terrified!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by tchaikovskyed)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    aren't we all :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Current student at Trinity. Happy to answer any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    aren't we all :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wolfie! How have you been??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was very envious of IB students when waiting for my A Levels two years ago ngl.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Wolfie! How have you been??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm good as long as I am not thinking about Thursday :lol: hope you are well too
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by MaxReid)
    Was very envious of IB students when waiting for my A Levels two years ago ngl.
    We get to know our fates first I guess :lol:

ReputationRep:
    We get to know our fates first I guess :lol:
    Yeah. I find out how I did in first year next week.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Yeah. I find out how I did in first year next week.
    Ohh Good luck hope you did well!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh Good luck hope you did well!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Current student at Trinity. Happy to answer any questions about Oxford
    FWIW, I've lived in Oxford for 25 years, so I can answer the odd one or two, as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandiman)
    FWIW, I've lived in Oxford for 25 years, so I can answer the odd one or two, as well...
    I never said you couldn't....

ReputationRep:
    I never said you couldn't....
    I know, just seemed easier to quote you for context. Also, Oxford students tend to do an incredible job of making themselves look like idiots on the town. That's probably worth knowing how to avoid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandiman)
    I know, just seemed easier to quote you for context. Also, Oxford students tend to do an incredible job of making themselves look like idiots on the town. That's probably worth knowing how to avoid...
    I will nevertheless continue to offer advice to offer-holders and applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we could benefit from advice from both of you! What IS living in Oxford like? I've visited it before, but I imagine the tourist perspective is rather different from those who live there!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

I'm sure we could benefit from advice from both of you! What IS living in Oxford like? I've visited it before, but I imagine the tourist perspective is rather different from those who live there!
    #diplomacy :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Good fun. The city has a lot going on to cater to pretty much everyone's tastes. The nightlife is pretty good as well. What college are you hoping to go to?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck to you and all other IB-ers! :grouphugs:

FOR THOSE WHO MEET THEIR OFFER

Congrats! Well done - nice work! Now sit back, relax and start pondering where to buy your sub fusc from :smartass:

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T MEET THEIR OFFER, BUT ARE LET IN ANYWAY

All the best people do this :smug: Well done for getting in anyway :ahee:

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T MEET THEIR OFFER, AND ARE REJECTED

Sorry to hear that, but honestly, don't fret. Your insurance choice is almost certainly going to be an excellent department/uni, and you will have a fab time there with less of a workload and you'll soon wonder why you even wanted to go to Oxford in the first place!

Chin up - the world is still your oyster :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Good luck to you and all other IB-ers! :grouphugs:

FOR THOSE WHO MEET THEIR OFFER

Congrats! Well done - nice work! Now sit back, relax and start pondering where to buy your sub fusc from :smartass:

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T MEET THEIR OFFER, BUT ARE LET IN ANYWAY

All the best people do this :smug: Well done for getting in anyway :ahee:

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T MEET THEIR OFFER, AND ARE REJECTED

Sorry to hear that, but honestly, don't fret. Your insurance choice is almost certainly going to be an excellent department/uni, and you will have a fab time there with less of a workload and you'll soon wonder why you even wanted to go to Oxford in the first place!

Chin up - the world is still your oyster :moon:
    Wise words indeed

Also good luck to any IB gap year people who don't have an offer but want good grades for the future :P

And of course all these wise words apply to A level as well when that eventually happens (damn the British slow way of doing things xD)

ReputationRep:
    Never a dull moment. We have the best music scene in the country, some decent nightclubs (a lot of crap ones, too) and some bloody good pubs. But that's just the social side.

If you decide to get nerdy, we have four great museums, a modern art gallery that has some decent exhibitions and the greatest library in the world.

In terms of day-to-day, fair warning: Oxford is incredibly expensive. A pint is a fiver, unless you want to drink among the homeless in one of our two lovely Wetherspoons. Talking of homeless, you will be begged/threatened for change approximately every fifty metres during the day and every five metres or so at night. Seriously, we have more homeless people than pigeons and they're more of a nuisance.

Aside from that, we have everything a modern city needs. We have a new shopping centre opening in October that promises to bring jobs, new shops, restaurants and a new cinema (which will take us up to five within two square miles). Public transport here is extensive and you can get a period pass fairly cheaply. Traffic, however, is horrendous.

As a Townie, can I humbly request that if you choose to cycle that you don't do it the way most Oxford students do? By that, I mean don't cycle like a ****. Get a helmet and lights, look where you're going, respect the highway code, don't cycle nine abreast in rush hour on an arterial road... y'know, common sense.

Survival tips:

• Do not go into the Cowley Road side streets at night unless you really have to.
    • Avoid Blackbird Leys, Rose Hill and Barton. Don't ask why, just trust me.
    • Don't say "yah" or "rah" in public. That's how we identify ***** and will treat you accordingly.
    • Absolutely avoid the following pubs: The Four Candles, The Swan and Castle, Wig & Pen, Cow & Creek, Beerd, Eurobar and the Mitre. Because they're all crap. Also, avoid The Pint Shop. It's £15 a pint.
    • Oh... and you can get your textbooks cheaper in Oxfam than Blackwells, as long as you get there by the end of August ;-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.