Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    BrasenoseAdm

I have submitted my results and met my conditions but I have still not got an unconditional offer from my college or heard back from the college.
    Will I get an unconditional offer only after I submit my Financial Declaration form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blehxxx)
    BrasenoseAdm

I have submitted my results and met my conditions but I have still not got an unconditional offer from my college or heard back from the college.
    Will I get an unconditional offer only after I submit my Financial Declaration form?
    Can anyone answer this?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    BrasenoseAdm

We think that's a bit odd and suggest you contact the college concerned to follow up with them.

ReputationRep:
    BrasenoseAdm

It may well be because they haven't received the financial declaration form yet, when I submitted mine I received as email saying "I can confirm receipt of your financial declaration and confirm that you have met the financial condition of your offer" so it sounded like the financial form is another offer condition that needs to be confirmed in order for you place to be confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hello all :hi:

It's TLG here! I understand A2 results day is coming up so just want to offer a few pearls of my sagely wisdom :shakecane: I hope people are neither worrying too much, nor being too complacent! :eek:

FOR THOSE WHO MEET THEIR OFFER

Congrats! Well done - nice work! Now sit back, relax and start pondering where to buy your sub fusc from :smartass:

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T MEET THEIR OFFER, BUT ARE LET IN ANYWAY

All the best people do this :smug: Well done for getting in anyway :ahee:

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T MEET THEIR OFFER, AND ARE REJECTED

Sorry to hear that, but honestly, don't fret. Your insurance choice is almost certainly going to be an excellent department/uni, and you will have a fab time there with less of a workload and you'll soon wonder why you even wanted to go to Oxford in the first place! :yep:

Chin up - the world is still your oyster and there are plenty more fish (and dare I say, sometimes better!) fish in the sea :moon: Don't define yourself as an "Oxbridge reject" - there's a lot more to you than that and you'll be fine. You may not believe it right now, but things will almost certainly work out well for you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandiman)
    Never a dull moment. We have the best music scene in the country, some decent nightclubs (a lot of crap ones, too) and some bloody good pubs. But that's just the social side.

If you decide to get nerdy, we have four great museums, a modern art gallery that has some decent exhibitions and the greatest library in the world.

In terms of day-to-day, fair warning: Oxford is incredibly expensive. A pint is a fiver, unless you want to drink among the homeless in one of our two lovely Wetherspoons. Talking of homeless, you will be begged/threatened for change approximately every fifty metres during the day and every five metres or so at night. Seriously, we have more homeless people than pigeons and they're more of a nuisance.

Aside from that, we have everything a modern city needs. We have a new shopping centre opening in October that promises to bring jobs, new shops, restaurants and a new cinema (which will take us up to five within two square miles). Public transport here is extensive and you can get a period pass fairly cheaply. Traffic, however, is horrendous.

As a Townie, can I humbly request that if you choose to cycle that you don't do it the way most Oxford students do? By that, I mean don't cycle like a ****. Get a helmet and lights, look where you're going, respect the highway code, don't cycle nine abreast in rush hour on an arterial road... y'know, common sense.

Survival tips:

• Do not go into the Cowley Road side streets at night unless you really have to.
    • Avoid Blackbird Leys, Rose Hill and Barton. Don't ask why, just trust me.
    • Don't say "yah" or "rah" in public. That's how we identify ***** and will treat you accordingly.
    • Absolutely avoid the following pubs: The Four Candles, The Swan and Castle, Wig & Pen, Cow & Creek, Beerd, Eurobar and the Mitre. Because they're all crap. Also, avoid The Pint Shop. It's £15 a pint.
    • Oh... and you can get your textbooks cheaper in Oxfam than Blackwells, as long as you get there by the end of August ;-)
    Some really good advice in there! :clap2::yep:

A few comments:

- I would say most of the pubs are fairly over-priced, the better places to hang are typically away from the city centre in particular.

- the alleged menace of the side streets off Cowley Rd is a bit OTT - I'm not saying there's never any trouble or interactions with, shall we say politely, socially challenged people, but overall it's pretty safe providing you act sensibly and keep your wits about you. I speak as someone who lived for two years on one of those side streets often said to be less than genteel and had no real problems.

- I totally underwrite what you say about cycling and traffic - unfortunately, with Oxford's total gridlock covering much of the day and maniacally bad motorists infesting the city, cycling can sometimes be quite dangerous and intimidating, particularly on the main roads leading out of town. Cowley Rd has been traffic calmed to hell, mainly by total congestion, so is theoretically less bad, but drivers make up for it by doing crazy things and wondering all over the road. Cyclist/driver interactions in the central streets are often fraught. I would say though that overall the cyclists are winning and Oxford is every day becoming less conducive to motor vehicles.

- the alleged cheapness of textbooks in the second hand section of Blackwells is always overstated - generally they are cheaper on Amazon, etc. Oxfam have some but they get sold pretty rapidly as you state.

- there is lots of nice countryside to escape to pretty close to town - don't stay in town all the time, head out on bike/bus/train/car and enjoy.

- trips to London are easy from Oxford by both coach and train, so this is always an option for a day out.

ReputationRep:
    Hola everyone, especially conditional offer holders awaiting A-level results.

We are gearing up for what is known locally as "confirmation". A-level results are linked to UCAS and are received by Oxford Undergraduate Admissions over the weekend. They are then routed through to the colleges on Monday morning (August 14th). Usually the results are complete but sometimes there are a few missing grades which we have to wait to come through via UCAS.

We can run through what then happens at Brasenose - the other colleges operate in similar ways. First thing is to see if the offer conditions are met. If all the offers for a subject are met and there is an Open Offer, we release it to the Departmental Coordinator be placed at another college that has a miss. Usually the Opens are taken up fairly quickly.

If the offer conditions are not met, we invite the selectors to review the application including any extenuating circumstances and issue guidance that includes guidelines made available to the colleges by Undergraduate Admissions. Consultation generally also takes place with the Departmental Admissions Coordinator. If the selectors decide to confirm the place, we release the Open Offer (if there is one) as above. If the selectors are not able to confirm, then the offer-holder is released by Brasenose and can be considered by other colleges. if there is an Open Offer candidate available, the selectors would usually confirm this person's place with us.

When all the decisions are reached (which has to be by an agreed time on Wednesday), we notify Undergraduate Admissions. They in turn transmit the data to UCAS and track should be updated in time for Thursday release (7.30am). Sometimes track updates are delayed: Oxford always transmits in good time but there can be system delays. We hope this isn't the case this year.

What then happens (not necessarily straight away but fairly soon - after we hand over to our friends and colleagues who are Brasenose College Office) is that registration instructions and preparatory reading lists get sent out. We have a Freshers webpage designed for registration. The JCR also gets in on the act with its own Freshers page and a Facebook site (another very good place to get advice - apologies to TSR for saying this!). Confirmed students find out about their room allocation. They also get a 'parents letter' from current students with tips and contact details for further advice. These guys should also be there to welcome you on arrival day so our top tip would definitely be to respond to the 'parents letter' as help finding your staircase and moving in stuff is good to have.

We will be in the office tomorrow (Friday) if you have queries. Bear in mind we can't really say exactly how things run outside of Brasenose but, as ever, if we think we can help we will respond and it may be that others on TSR can assist too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)

We are gearing up for what is known locally as "confirmation". A-level results are linked to UCAS and are received by Oxford Undergraduate Admissions over the weekend. They are then routed through to the colleges on Monday morning (August 14th). Usually the results are complete but sometimes there are a few missing grades which we have to wait to come through via UCAS.

We can run through what then happens at Brasenose - the other colleges operate in similar ways. First thing is to see if the offer conditions are met. If all the offers for a subject are met and there is an Open Offer, we release it to the Departmental Coordinator be placed at another college that has a miss. Usually the Opens are taken up fairly quickly.

If the offer conditions are not met, we invite the selectors to review the application including any extenuating circumstances and also guidance that includes guidelines made available to the colleges by Undergraduate Admissions. Consultation generally also takes place with the Departmental Admissions Coordinator. If the selectors decide to confirm the place, we release the Open Offer (if there is one) as before. If the selectors are not able to confirm, then the offer-holder is released by Brasenose and can be considered by other colleges. if there is an Open Offer candidate available, the selectors would usually confirm this candidate's place.

When all the decisions are reached (which has to be by an agreed time on Wednesday), we notify Undergraduate Admissions. They in turn transmit the data to UCAS and track should be updated in time for Thursday. Sometimes track updates are delayed: Oxford always transmits in good time but there can be system delays. We hope this isn't the case this year.

What then happens (not necessarily straight away but fairly soon - after we hand over to our friends and colleagues who are Brasenose College Office) is that registration instructions and preparatory reading lists get sent out. We have a Freshers webpage designed for registration. The JCR also gets in on the act with its own Freshers page and a Facebook site (another very good place to get advice - apologies to TSR for saying this!). Confirmed students find out about their room allocation. They also get a 'parents letter' from current students with tips and contact details for further advice. These guys should also be there to welcome you on arrival day so our top tip would definitely be to respond to the 'parents letter' as help finding your staircase and moving in stuff is good to have.

We will be in the office tomorrow (Friday) if you have queries. Bear in mind we can't really say exactly how things run outside of Brasenose but, as ever, if we think we can help we will respond and it may be that others on TSR can assist too.
    Can I really quickly say how much I appreciate the way you guys make an active effort to keep offer holders and anxious applicants in the loop? Applying to Oxford is so ridiculously stressful, and you guys make the process much more bearable, so thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Make me wish I applied to Brasenose

(Original post by roarchika)
    Can I really quickly say how much I appreciate the way you guys make an active effort to keep offer holders and anxious applicants in the loop? Applying to Oxford is so ridiculously stressful, and you guys make the process much more bearable, so thank you so much!
    (Original post by roarchika)

If the offer conditions are not met, we invite the selectors to review the application including any extenuating circumstances and also guidance that includes guidelines made available to the colleges by Undergraduate Admissions. Consultation generally also takes place with the Departmental Admissions Coordinator. If the selectors decide to confirm the place, we release the Open Offer (if there is one) as before. If the selectors are not able to confirm, then the offer-holder is released by Brasenose and can be considered by other colleges. if there is an Open Offer candidate available, the selectors would usually confirm this candidate's place.

When all the decisions are reached (which has to be by an agreed time on Wednesday), we notify Undergraduate Admissions. They in turn transmit the data to UCAS and track should be updated in time for Thursday. Sometimes track updates are delayed: Oxford always transmits in good time but there can be system delays. We hope this isn't the case this year.

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

If the offer conditions are not met, we invite the selectors to review the application including any extenuating circumstances and issue guidance that includes guidelines made available to the colleges by Undergraduate Admissions. Consultation generally also takes place with the Departmental Admissions Coordinator. If the selectors decide to confirm the place, we release the Open Offer (if there is one) as above. If the selectors are not able to confirm, then the offer-holder is released by Brasenose and can be considered by other colleges. if there is an Open Offer candidate available, the selectors would usually confirm this person's place with us.

When all the decisions are reached (which has to be by an agreed time on Wednesday), we notify Undergraduate Admissions. They in turn transmit the data to UCAS and track should be updated in time for Thursday release (7.30am). Sometimes track updates are delayed: Oxford always transmits in good time but there can be system delays. We hope this isn't the case this year.

Dear BrasenoseAdm,
    Thanks for this information. Say on results day you did miss your offer by a grade, is there any point in ringing up the college to ask if they will still let you in? Or would it make no difference as they have all the information about you already, and therefore can make their decision without your input?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlandothefraser)
    Dear BrasenoseAdm,
    Thanks for this information. Say on results day you did miss your offer by a grade, is there any point in ringing up the college to ask if they will still let you in? Or would it make no difference as they have all the information about you already, and therefore can make their decision without your input?
    If your UCAS Track hasn't updated to show that your Oxford college has rejected you or whatever wording they'd use, it's worth ringing up. But bear in mind you will not be able to speak to the subject tutors - only the admissions staff, so if the admissions staff say no after ringing up, that is pretty much final. No point pleading with them on the phone for ages! :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlandothefraser)
    Dear BrasenoseAdm,
    Separate to UCAS Track, we email all offer-holders on results day (Thursday) with details of the outcome. In the case of applicants whom we are not able to confirm, the letter includes instructions of how to proceed if the candidate intends to seek a re-mark or wishes to challenge the decision.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

A current Oxford student here. Just wanted to say a huge good luck to all of those getting A Level results next week - this time last year I was obsessively checking track and TSR every hour and nothing else was on my mind. My advice is to enjoy the process, you probably won't get this feeling of anticipation/excitement/fear again for a long while - it is such a crazy time and the feeling of meeting your offer is immense. Obviously some people may miss their offers by the skin of their teeth, which will be horrible for a day or two, but life goes on. Going to another great uni and swimming in work experience/essay competitions/internships will give you as good a chance as anyone at the top jobs in the market.

Basically, you'll be happy wherever you end up, but I have my fingers crossed for you all :-) x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    Hey guys,

A current Oxford student here. Just wanted to say a huge good luck to all of those getting A Level results next week - this time last year I was obsessively checking track and TSR every hour and nothing else was on my mind. My advice is to enjoy the process, you probably won't get this feeling of anticipation/excitement/fear again for a long while - it is such a crazy time and the feeling of meeting your offer is immense. Obviously some people may miss their offers by the skin of their teeth, which will be horrible for a day or two, but life goes on. Going to another great uni and swimming in work experience/essay competitions/internships will give you as good a chance as anyone at the top jobs in the market.

Basically, you'll be happy wherever you end up, but I have my fingers crossed for you all :-) x x
    Thanks 🙏🏿
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    BrasenoseAdm LMH OXFORD gavinlowe

Just thinking about the somewhat sensationalist newspaper headlines at the weekend about impending "results day chaos".... from the A-level results you have seen so far does it look like the % of missed offers is higher than normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    BrasenoseAdm LMH OXFORD gavinlowe

Just thinking about the somewhat sensationalist newspaper headlines at the weekend about impending "results day chaos".... from the A-level results you have seen so far does it look like the % of missed offers is higher than normal?
    Thank you for your post. A-level results are embargoed until Thursday and so we are not able to release details of outcomes to individuals or make any general media comments until then. The same holds for other Universities who are likewise in purdah.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your post. A-level results are embargoed until Thursday and so we are not able to release details of outcomes to individuals or make any general media comments until then. The same holds for other Universities who are likewise in purdah.
    Ok, understood for individuals/specifics, but even for general commentaries? It's a shame the press and others can though...

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!
    Current Oxford student here just wishing you GOOD LUCK for A Level results day tomorrow!! I really really hope you all meet your offers and get grades you're proud of.
    For those who miss their offers and don't get in - I know it'll be a horrible moment for you, and seeing as I'm one of the lucky ones, it seems easy for me to say that you'll move on from it and have an amazing time at your insurance choice... but you will!! :yes: there are many other incredible unis where you'll fit in just as well, and maybe have a better time than you would have at Oxford. I wish you all the best.
    And for those who meet their offers... AHHHH!!! I am SO excited for you! I've just finished my first year and it's been the best year of my life. Oxford is the most amazing place, where you'll study amazing courses, be taught by mad clever people, get involved in more stuff than you ever thought possible, and most importantly, make awesome friends. So start getting excited... Oxford can't wait to meet you! :lovedup:
    (PS- if any of you have any qs at all, just quote me or drop me a PM (especially, but not only, if you're going to be doing History or studying at Balliol )

ReputationRep:
    Just dropping by to say a huge good luck to anyone waiting for A Level results tomorrow! I hope everything turns out fantastically for you all and that I'll be seeing you in October!

If things don't go as planned though, please don't lose hope. I missed my Cambridge offer last year and was distraught initially. I didn't go through clearing despite everyone around me telling me I should. Instead, I had the most amazing year. I worked, got some great experience to add to my CV, I met my best friend and will be travelling with her soon. Cambridge didn't want me last year but I'm currently holding an unconditional offer for Oxford (the better uni anyway, right?)

None of this would have happened if I'd gone to uni last year. Sometimes things fall into place even if they don't seem so great at first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.