Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place but I couldn't work out where else to put it.

I'm in a bad situation. I have been for years but recently it took a turn for the worst and I don't know what to do.

Damn, where to start.

As a teenager I was severely depressed, along with dealing with other psychiatric conditions and illnesses.

Over two years ago I was hospitalised for my depression. I was suicidal and self harmed regularly. I spent about 4 weeks on an adolescent psychiatric unit. I was the only boy there.

When I was discharged, it was just in time to apply for college. But I was faced with the same problem I've had now for years; I had no idea what sort of career I wanted, which course to study. A common problem among young people, right?

I reluctantly decided on Media studies and did a 2 year course. That was largely a mistake. The only good thing I got out of those two years at college was meeting my boyfriend. The rest of it was a huge waste of time. I passed the first year. The second year was a disaster as I felt my depression creeping back up on me. I managed to shake it off before it turned into a full on relapse, but then college was over. And I hadn't passed the second year.

-

I just spent 2 hours writing this post and at this point it stopped auto saving and I got logged out when I pressed submit.

I guess I'm truly hopeless.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x
    Sorry it disappeared on you, that's a complete pain. Don't think it's all in there now but I'll reply to what I can see. It sounds like you've had a really rough time, and still are. Have you seen your GP about it recently, or support services wherever you are if you're still studying? There's a lot they can do as you probably know, and if things are starting to get worse again then that's probably a sign you could do with some more help. If you're still struggling with careers and things, have you thought about volunteering? This can be a great way to gain confidence while trying different things, also good for doing a few hours a week of if you're not well enough for fulltime work and something for your CV too. Have a think anyway- good luck and sorry for the late/slightly random reply!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.