The Student Room Group

Oxford academic warns of Brexit disaster.

Universities have advised MPs that a “hard Brexit” could be the “biggest disaster” to have hit the UK’s universities for many years.

Vice chancellor of Oxford Brookes, Alistair Fitt has provided evidence to the Education Select Committee this week and the University for Cambridge have advised that they have seen a 14% drop in applications from the EU.

Most notable, research funding will see a significant drop, with the UK's universities are among the biggest winners from Horizon 2020 research network, bringing more than £2bn into the higher education sector.

Read more on the story here

What do you make of this? Are you studying for a Masters or PHD and worried about funding?

Scroll to see replies

He is not an Oxford academic he works at Brooke's.

Not that it matters what he thinks one way or the other.:rolleyes:
Original post by astutehirstute
He is not an Oxford academic he works at Brooke's.

Well technically, he's an academic in Oxford, but not an academic at Oxford.
Reply 4

That's not what he said; he said that the Brexit process holds greater risks to financial stability for Europe than for Britain. Financial stability is distinct from general economic performance.

Also that doesn't really have much to do with the topic of the impact of Brexit on UK higher education.
I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Brexit might be a disaster in the short run, but in the long run, it could be better for the UK.
Original post by Lord Gaben
I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Brexit might be a disaster in the short run, but in the long run, it could be better for the UK.

That's the bulldog spirit! :smile:
That's the bulldog spirit! :smile:

I voted to Remain, but I don't think people should be so negative about Brexit. We live in a democracy and so you can't always have it your way. Besides, we live in a country where we are afforded opportunities that people in other parts of the world can only dream about. That's why it's important to stay optimistic instead of being negative about the future.
Original post by Lord Gaben
I voted to Remain, but I don't think people should be so negative about Brexit. We live in a democracy and so you can't always have it your way. Besides, we live in a country where we are afforded opportunities that people in other parts of the world can only dream about. That's why it's important to stay optimistic instead of being negative about the future.

Agreed.

There is a lot of research that optimists are more successful in life than pessimists, and some even argue that they live longer on average.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-optimist-health-idUSTRE5247NO20090305

The endless carping and negativity about the catastrophe of Brexit by some Remain voters and parts of the media may prove a self fulfilling prophecy.

I have a Remain voting friend who has admitted to me that he almost hopes it all goes tits up. That is ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
The UK still thinks it's big. LOL.
Ahh, the left twisting things like usual, making us think he's an academic at the prestigious Oxford University when in reality he's at the below-par Brookes.
Reply 11
If he's from oxford uni he's an elitist so I don't care, if he's from Brooke's he's got no position and holds an educated but still debatable view like most people so my point is, whoever it is. It means nothing
Too many variables and complications for Anyone to say exactly what will happen, we were told that we would be at the back of the line for American free trade and now we are at the front as we have a special relationship with America, something that Obama seems to have forgotten about.

No one really knows what will happen but I feel that in the long run Brexit will be good and socially it will be very good for Britain getting away from the failed project that tried to Enslave European nations, we will have full control and be able to make things work for us. All we really need to do is cut foreign aid and focus on Britain.

But who knows, things could go bad but that is a risk I am willing to take
Original post by sayan98
The UK still thinks it's big. LOL.

Hates and despises the UK whilst benefiting from its privileges. Check.

Thinks the West is to blame for all Islam's problems on another thread. Check

Anything else you would like to share with us?
Hates and despises the UK whilst benefiting from its privileges. Check.

Thinks the West is to blame for all Islam's problems on another thread. Check

Anything else you would like to share with us?

Shutup you SJW. People are born inherently unequal. And stop stalking me.
Reply 15
Original post by sayan98
Shutup you SJW. People are born inherently unequal. And stop stalking me.

He clearly implied there that Islam has problems unrelated to the west, and you reflexively call him an SJW? How dense can one person be?

Also, "Oxford Academic".
Oxford Brookes Oxford University

Just saying...
Are you for real? Passing an Oxford Brookes academic as an Oxford academic :rofl:
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
Are you for real? Passing an Oxford Brookes academic as an Oxford academic :rofl:

I know It is desperate stuff. The Remoaners just can't stop the obvious, failed, propaganda, six months on from a referendum everyone in the world, except they, knows they lost.

Our experience on the Remain side is that no amount of evidence matters to Brexitoids.

Quick Reply

Latest