Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people stare/ do a double take at me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, where to begin? So I worked at a large furniture & appliances store - not going to go into any specifics there - for a while and during the first week everything seemed to be normal, but since the second week onwards I have noticed that customers and colleagues stare at me, both when I'm arriving to work and when I am actually working. I didn't take much notice at first as I am a girl who wears no makeup and tries to dress modestly whenever possible, so I assumed people were staring at me because of that - a teenager not wearing makeup! But I noticed that people's eyes widen when they see me - again not sure why - and as I was entering one of the staff restrooms, a lady that was leaving, literally opened the door again to look at me! This made me quite self-conscious and really uncomfortable. I also saw a customer who was with another girl stare at me both whilst he was in the queue being served by another member of staff and afterwards as I was walking across the shop floor when he was about to leave. Nobody has made any direct comments about my face but I have caught a few of the male staff looking at me very intently and one of them acc sat down on an opposite checkout and just stared at me! I don't work there any more, mainly because I found it difficult to fit in and I found the work stressful!

But even in the workplace I work at currently, I see both the male and female staff just staring at me and it really weirds me out.

Finally, I have also noticed this whilst on the bus, people just look at me and this woman the other day did a record-breaking quadruple take!

I personally don't consider myself "pretty" or "hot" and just think I am a normal looking girl with bushy eyebrows. I don't know what to do and it makes me so uncomfortable to the point where I can't even breathe properly cause of the anxiety it provokes and feel really awkward when trying to make conversation.

It would be very helpful if someone could shed some light on this issue either by suggesting why they think people look at me and most importantly how I could deal with this!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno why people do that. Would you be comfortable posting a picture of yourself? Maybe we can diagnose what's going on!

ReputationRep:
    Some people simply turn heads, but judging by the quatruple take you said you're clearly breaking necks

ReputationRep:
    I would rather not, as suggested by my username I like to stay pretty anonymous online! Sorry I realise that is not helpful, but once on the internet always on the internet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse.345)
    Ok, where to begin? So I worked at a large furniture & appliances store - not going to go into specifics there - for a while and during the first week everything seemed to be normal, but since the second week onwards I have noticed that customers and colleagues stare at me, both when I'm arriving to work and when I am am actually working. I didn't take much notice at first as I am a girl who wears no makeup and tries to dress modestly whenever possible, so I assumed people were staring at me because of that - a teenager not wearing makeup! But I noticed that people's eyes widen when they see me - again not sure why - and as I was entering one of the staff restrooms, a lady that was leaving, literally opened the door again to look at me! This made me quite self-conscious and really uncomfortable. I also saw a customer who was with another girl stare at me both whilst he was in the queue being served by another member of staff and afterwards as I was walking across the shop floor when he was about to leave. Nobody has made any direct comments about my face but I have caught a few of the male staff looking at me very intently and one of them acc sat down on an opposite checkout and just stared at me! I don't work there any more, mainly because I found it difficult to fit in and I found the work stressful!

But even in the workplace I work at currently, I see both the male and female staff just staring at me and it really weirds me out.

Finally, I have also noticed this whilst on the bus, people just look at me and this woman the other day did a record-breaking quadruple take!

I personally don't consider myself "pretty" or "hot" and just think I am normal looking with bushy eyebrows. I don't know what to do and it makes me so comfortable to the point where I can't even breathe properly cause of the anxiety it provokes and feel really awkward when trying to make conversation.
    It would be very helpful if someone could shed some light on this issue either by suggesting why they think people look at me and most importantly how I could deal with this!
    either your hot or strange

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    either your hot or strange
    This.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.