Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently got an offer from both the colleges. There are a few concerns i have.
    1)Hughes hall is a mature college. Im 21. But the average age of students there is 30. I really want to have a memorable uni experience. So in terms of social life I feel i may be missing out if i choose hughes hall.
    2) Hughes hall is the lowest ranked cambridge college(tompkins table) in terms of the percentage of firsts and. 2.1s recieved.(14% of students get a first). In contrast to this 27% of kcl students get a first.
    3)I have read bad reviews of hughes hall over the internet about the quality of education as well as social life.
    Is it better to go to kcl or hughes hall, given the above points?I don't wish to go to cambridge just for the name. I wish to go for a quality educational and overall uni experience.
    If some has attended hughes hall could you please share some personal experience regarding these concerns or if you know of anyone that has?
    Thanks in advance!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haggard)
    I have recently got an offer from both the colleges. There are a few concerns i have.
    1)Hughes hall is a mature college. Im 21. But the average age of students there is 30. I really want to have a memorable uni experience. So in terms of social life I feel i may be missing out if i choose hughes hall.
    2) Hughes hall is the lowest ranked cambridge college(tompkins table) in terms of the percentage of firsts and. 2.1s recieved.(14% of students get a first). In contrast to this 27% of kcl students get a first.
    3)I have read bad reviews of hughes hall over the internet about the quality of education as well as social life.
    Is it better to go to kcl or hughes hall, given the above points?I don't wish to go to cambridge just for the name. I wish to go for a quality educational and overall uni experience.
    If some has attended hughes hall could you please share some personal experience regarding these concerns or if you know of anyone that has?
    Thanks in advance!
    1) the average age of undergrads is much closer to 21 than 30.

2) apples and pears compare it with mature students at KCL, not all students. Also Hughes has few mathmo or NatScis, courses that typically have a higher % of firsts. Many undergrads are lawyers.

3) ? Only supervisions, and even then really only first year supervisions, are typically at your college. Everything else; lectures, labs, etc are facilitated centrally by the University not the college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance!
    There's a few misconceptions in your assumption about Hughes Hall.
    @jneill has covered all of them you mentioned, but just to elaborate a bit more.......

the average age for Hughes' undergraduates is much lower than you think. (I think the figure you got includes postgraduate students, which is naturally much higher, and Hueges has a much higher percentage of PG than any other colleges)

And the quality of teaching is not effected by a choice of college. Except for the first year when you're likely (but not always, esp. at a small college, like Hughes) to have supervisors who are fellows of your college, but from the second year onwards, who supervise you will depend on your choice of tripos papers, not on which college you're at. Everything else (like lectures, etc. ) is centralised at the department, so what you get is exactly the same as all other students.

And also, if you want to get a first more easily, the best thing to do is to go to less-competitive university. A first at Cambridge doesn't come very easily anyway, but a first at Cambridge is not same as a first at many other unis, and many employers know it. I know a several example of Cambridge graduates with 2.1 who got a job/gained a place at postgraduate course at other uni where only a first class holder is usually admitted.

The biggest difference Hughes has is, probably, its very high proportion of postgrads. I think their undergrads are only 10% or so of the total student number, which can make the atmosphere of Hughes quite unique. Afaik there seems to be much more active interaction between UG students and PG students at Hughes than other colleges where that sort of interaction is usually almost non-existent in most parts.

I don't have anyone close enough to ask about what it's like to be a Hughes undergraduate, but I have the university's yearbook for graduates a few years ago, so I copy-paste a part which describes the atmosphere. (It was written by one of their graduates)

"...our college is really about the people who make it great. The high turnover at Hughes every year, owing to the number of people on one-year courses (note: due to high percentage of PG students. Not UG students) , makes the ever-changing composition interesting to watch. Each year, the incredibly diverse and lively community at Hughes fuses the social and intellectual in a way that is difficult to find anywhere else. "

Everything else that's written in the memoir is very similar to any other standard-age colleges' memoirs; like how they enjoyed their college bar/cafe, other social life, college sports (Hughes is a very sporty college, btw), etc, etc.....

Hope this helps you a bit in making a final decision.

There's a couple of members at TSR who're at Hughes. So hopefully they find your post and give you more first-hand info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    1) the average age of undergrads is much closer to 21 than 30.

2) apples and pears compare it with mature students at KCL, not all students. Also Hughes has few mathmo or NatScis, courses that typically have a higher % of firsts. Many undergrads are lawyers.

3) ? Only supervisions, and even then really only first year supervisions, are typically at your college. Everything else; lectures, labs, etc are facilitated centrally by the University not the college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou for the comprehensive reply. That's very reassuring if most of the learning is centrally provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    There's a few misconceptions in your assumption about Hughes Hall.
    @jneill has covered all of them you mentioned, but just to elaborate a bit more.......

the verage age for Hughes' undergraduates is much lower than you think. (I think the figure you got includes postgraduate students, which is naturally much higher, and Hueges has a much higher percentage of PG than any other colleges)

And the quality of teaching is not effected by a choice of college. Except for the first year when you're likely (but not always, esp. at a small college, like Hughes) to have supervisors who are fellows of your college, but from the second year onwards, who supervise you will depend on your choice of tripos papers, not on which college you're at. Everything else (like lectures, etc. ) is centralised at the department, so what you get is exactly the same as all other students.

And also, if you want to get a first more easily, the best thing to do is to go to less-competitive university. A first at Cambridge doesn't come very easily anyway, but a first at Cambridge is not same as a first at many other unis, and many employers know it. I know a several example of Cambridge graduates with 2.1 who got a job/gained a place at postgraduate course at other uni where only a first class holder is usually admitted.

The biggest difference Hughes has is, probably, its very high proportion of postgrads. I think their undergrads are only 10% or so of the total student number, which can make the atmosphere of Hughes quite unique. Afaik there seems to be much more active interaction between UG students and PG students at Hughes than other colleges where that sort of interaction is usually almost non-existent in most parts.

I don't have anyone close enough to ask about what it's like to be a Hughes undergraduate, but I have the university's yearbook for graduates a few years ago, so I copy-paste a part which describes the atmosphere. (It was written by one of their graduates)

"...our college is really about the people who make it great. The high turnover at Hughes every year, owing to the number of people on one-year courses (note: due to high percentage of PG students. Not UG students) , makes the ever-changing composition interesting to watch. Each year, the incredibly diverse and lively community at Hughes fuses the social and intellectual in a way that is difficult to find anywhere else. "

Everything else that's written in the memoir is very similar to any other standard-age colleges' memoirs; like how they enjoyed their college bar/cafe, other social life, college sports (Hughes is a very sporty college, btw), etc, etc.....

Hope this helps you a bit in making a final decision.

There's a couple of members at TSR who're at Hughes. So hopefully they find your post and give you more first-hand info.
    Thankyou for your reply.How much interaction is there between students of the colleges?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your reply.How much interaction is there between students of the colleges?
    On academic life front, a lot. As explained, except for some supervision in the first year that's done at your college, everything else is done by the department, so you're constantly with students from other colleges. Because hughes' undergraduate population is very quite small, it's possible some/most of your supervisions in the first year will be shared with student/s from other college/s by a fellow of other college.

On social life, it'd be up to you. You can't join other college's club/societies, but there're hundreds of university-wide clubs/societies and other activities/events, so you can join them as much as you like.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Between students of different colleges? You will have plenty of "interaction" with coursemates at other colleges (because lectures, etc are at your department not your college), and you will also commonly interact with students in university-wide sports or societies.

Oh and look up "swaps" at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Christ's Admissions

This one, too, when you have time, please. Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Christ's Admissions

This one, too, when you have time, please. Thank you.
    I don't think there is very much I can add here that hasn't been said already. I think the most important thing to stress is that the choice that confronts the OP is not between "Hughes Hall" and "KCL", but *Cambridge* and KCL. So it would be much more useful to look at the ratings for the degree course in question at those two universities - what are the overall satisfaction ratings? progression/retention rates/employment rates etc - than focusing on a single college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    I don't think there is very much I can add here that hasn't been said already. I think the most important thing to stress is that the choice that confronts the OP is not between "Hughes Hall" and "KCL", but *Cambridge* and KCL. So it would be much more useful to look at the ratings for the degree course in question at those two universities - what are the overall satisfaction ratings? progression/retention rates/employment rates etc - than focusing on a single college.
    Ok thank you. Sorry for wasting your time.
    Relieved, at least, you didn't have to correct what we told OP.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you. Sorry for wasting your time.
    Relieved, at least, you didn't have to correct what we told OP.
    You weren't wasting my time - you'd just covered all the bases already

ReputationRep:
    I went to Hughes Hall.

It was the best decision I ever made.

The most diverse student community ever.

Very friendly porters.

Very good food.

Very friendly students.

A great social life.

No gowns for formals and no high tables at meals.

Their events and BOPs are lit!

Give me my Hughes anyday!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi! I know this is a late response so not sure if you've decided already, but I've been allocated to Hughes Hall as well! I'm 21 too and also keen to have a decent social life at uni so was unsure at first but I've decided to go with it. I visited the college and everyone there was really lovely - there was a really nice community feel! Maybe visiting it might make your mind up?

But if you're really worried about social life, I'll be there too and I'll still be wanting to have some university experience too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.