Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Generalizations? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I recently have been applying for loads of work experience placements (Especially on the aviation side of things, like at my local airport etc) and I've been turned down for a few, which is of course to be expected, but one letter from a firm that turned me down specifically caught my eye.

I'm known for being quite well spoken and very good with English skills, and therefore I ensured my letters were of the highest standard. However, I recently god a letter from an engineering company saying that they only accept letters written by the applicant themselves, and not by parents/carers for the applicant to claim as their own.

Let me reiterate that I wrote this letter myself and they turned me down for having a high standard of English language knowledge. This is actual generalization, and I am actually kind of glad that they turned me down, because I don't want to work in a firm that disgustingly generalizes young people. Just goes to show, discrimination does exist and it does happen.

I am going to keep apply until I have a choice of businesses.

Thoughts, TSR?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReTopic)
    Hey all,

I recently have been applying for loads of work experience placements (Especially on the aviation side of things, like at my local airport etc) and I've been turned down for a few, which is of course to be expected, but one letter from a firm that turned me down specifically caught my eye.

I'm known for being quite well spoken and very good with English skills, and therefore I ensured my letters were of the highest standard. However, I recently god a letter from an engineering company saying that they only accept letters written by the applicant themselves, and not by parents/carers for the applicant to claim as their own.

Let me reiterate that I wrote this letter myself and they turned me down for having a high standard of English language knowledge. This is actual generalization, and I am actually kind of glad that they turned me down, because I don't want to work in a firm that disgustingly generalizes young people. Just goes to show, discrimination does exist and it does happen.

Thoughts, TSR?
    It is probably because the letter doesn't represent your character and personality - it might seem overly formal (for example you may have used an abundance of polysyllabic lexis just to sound impressive).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    It is probably because the letter doesn't represent your character and personality - it might seem overly formal (for example you may have used an abundance of polysyllabic lexis just to sound impressive).
    What you don't understand is that I write like that on a daily basis, I wasn't doing anything I wouldn't usually do on a day to day basis (Except for texting etc), so I wasn't doing anything unusual, but then again, how do they know that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What you don't understand is that I write like that on a daily basis, I wasn't doing anything I wouldn't usually do on a day to day basis (Except for texting etc), so I wasn't doing anything unusual, but then again, how do they know that.
    Maybe you do, but many people will think it sounds superficial and doesn't reflect you properly. Plus, using some less complex words will make it easier for the reader to quickly scan through.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Thoughts, TSR?
    Clearly your English skills are not that good if you say this is discrimination and a generalastion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Maybe you do, but many people will think it sounds superficial and doesn't reflect you properly. Plus, using some less complex words will make it easier for the reader to quickly scan through.
    Alright, I get you. I'll downgrade next time.

(Original post by CraigBackner)
    Clearly your English skills are not that good if you say this is discrimination and a generalastion
    Not to be rude but before you criticise my English, check your own (I.E Generalastion isn't correct). Plus, discrimination doesn't have the set meaning that the media portrays it to have, discrimination can come in many different forms, such as targeted bullying.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue with strangers over the internet, thanks for your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I get you. I'll downgrade next time.

Not to be rude but before you criticise my English, check your own (I.E Generalastion isn't correct). Plus, discrimination doesn't have the set meaning that the media portrays it to have, discrimination can come in many different forms, such as targeted bullying.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue with strangers over the internet, thanks for your thoughts.
    im not the one saying i have 'very good English skills' am i? and in what way is discrimination, they simply said they accept letters written by the applicant themselve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    ... in what way is discrimination, they simply said they accept letters written by the applicant themselve
    but this was a letter written by the applicant himself, and which they supposed as written by his parent/carer because he is a young person [and the young cannot write like that]. Suppose that an ethnic minority fellow were asked at interview, and with reference to his covering letter, "did you have someone help you with this?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    but this was a letter written by the applicant himself, and which they supposed as written by his parent/carer because he is a young person [and the young cannot write like that].
    yeah ok the company made a understandable mistake, but in what way is it discrimination?

(Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Suppose that an ethnic minority fellow were asked at interview, and with reference to his covering letter, "did you have someone help you with this?"
    yeah ok so?, they could just as easily ask someone who isnt an ethnic minority the same question

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.