Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long do you think "LOL" will stick around for? watch

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by the thread about trends from 2016 you want to disappear... LOL is a trend that never went away!

I remember first using it in my MSN days, then there was a time at school where it was uncool to use "lol"... then it made a comeback with people using it ironically, and now I feel it's come full circle where people have started using it normally again

Do you think it's with us forever now?

ReputationRep:
    I remember first seeing it on Runescape, when people would come up and type "LOL" and it would seem customary to say "LOL" back, so I assumed it was a sort of greeting. :/

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is standing the test of time isn't it
    :laugh:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's strange because no one actually laughs or finds it funny when they type "lol".

Such betrayal of trust when I send something funny to my friends during class and they type lol but they're not actually laughing.

ReputationRep:
    LOL is one of the foundations of internet slang terminology, it's here to stay and gladly so! The new generation with all their new acronyms don't know what us kids went through with our parents calling us stupid to now abusing the term Lol

ReputationRep:
    I like using it when one of my messages seems to annoyed or angry or something and the "lol" at the end calms things down a bit, but not too much so that they think I'm joking

"Who ate my avocado lol?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    I remember first seeing it on Runescape, when people would come up and type "LOL" and it would seem customary to say "LOL" back, so I assumed it was a sort of greeting. :/
    took me ages to figure out what AFK was lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It's strange because no one actually laughs or finds it funny when they type "lol".

Such betrayal of trust when I send something funny to my friends during class and they type lol but they're not actually laughing.
    i often just nose snort lol exhale lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by UWS)

Yet people always laugh at the 'turd' emoji.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

Hm... lol tbh i use any excuse to laugh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.