Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jan 12th: How do you protect your mental health? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    How do you protect your mental health?

On The Surgery this week, Gemma and Dr Radha look at how mental health issues affect you.

How has your mental health affected your life? What have you found that helps you cope? What do you do to protect your mental health?

Share your experiences of living with mental health problems and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 18th January at 9pm for support and advice.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)

On The Surgery this week, Gemma and Dr Radha look at how mental health issues affect you.

How has your mental health affected your life? What have you found that helps you cope? What do you do to protect your mental health?

Share your experiences of living with mental health problems and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 18th January at 9pm for support and advice.

Don't have any mental health issues the key is don't let other people's opinions effect you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Don't have any mental health issues the key is don't let other people's opinions effect you
    Lol what a ridiculous thing to say, mental health issues aren't always brought on by social issues, some people have a predisposition due to heritage or an imbalance of chemicals which has nothing to do with 'other people's opinions'
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Music has saved me, and writing down my feelings. I'm really empathetic as a person so I struggle to open up to people in case I bother them so often I suffer alone. Music has helped me immensely, I'll often listen to a song or band I've enjoyed for years and sometimes the pain goes away. Writing has the same effects, if I write then I adopt a persona and become someone else, someone who isn't me and is whisked away from everything that is troubling me. I am also more wary of making new friends as in the past they've often double crossed me so I take my time to make new friends as it is really damaging to my mental health if I get caught up in a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    Using TSR keeps me a little saner than usual. Exercise and music and having hobbies.

ReputationRep:
    Music not just the sad music but the uplifting and feel good music.

Plus, just thinking to myself know that whatever I'm overthinking about doesn't matter and won't actually affect me in the future

ReputationRep:
    Meditation is the best way imo, especially one of a mantra form like Transcendental Meditation.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently finding it really difficult to find help for my mental illness'; I suffer from anorexia, bulimia, depression and self harm.
    I was referred to CAMHS when i was 15 and received amazing support for my issues, now i am 22 and feel like I'm stuck with no-one to help. CAMHS only go up to 18 years old and the last time i saw my GP, he just referred me to a group therapy session which was not helpful in the slightest. I am at college currently and my tutor is aware of my eating disorders but i have received no help from that either except a person to talk to. Not really sure what to do but i am going to university in September and do not want my issues to escalate and effect my career.

ReputationRep:
    Music is like my best bud.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TRIGGER WARNING FOR MENTION OF SUICIDE

How has your mental health affected your life?
    My mental health issues have had a huge impact on my life. I've been hearing voices since I was five (I'm now nearing 30, so have heard them for over 20 years); had my first depressive episode aged 10; had a massive breakdown at my undergraduate university aged 21, and
    Spoiler:
    Show
    have made 4 attempts on my life since then.
    Aged 22, I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, which is like a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. From the age of 21, I have lived life through (what feels like) five different personalities; these are currently under therapeutic investigation.

My mental health issues mean I am hugely codependent (cannot live by myself; sometimes cannot get around places unaccompanied; cannot cook for myself) and cannot work or study full-time. I have become very difficult to be around, in that I am hugely needy, very paranoid, and often lash out at people. I have a lot of memory and cognition problems. It's highly doubtful I will ever be well enough to drive or be stable enough to enter into a romantic/sexual relationship.

Safe to say, my mental health problems have had a hugely negative impact on my life. It's not all been entirely bad though. I've met some wonderful people online through the MHSS thread on TSR; I have got involved in hugely valuable and affirmational volunteering that I would never have done had I not suffered from mental health problems; I've become a more empathetic, supportive and (hopefully!) patient person

What have you found that helps you cope?
    I am not very good at self-soothing (as my therapist has discovered ) but something of the various things that help me are (in no particular order)

Things that help with psychosis

- Reality-testing with trusted people
    - Reaching out for support by telling people how I feel
    - Grounding techniques such as mindfulness colouring
    - Tangles
    - Medication
    - Therapy (especially the type I'm doing now, which is called schema therapy)
    - Prayer

Things that help with mania

- Listening to very slow, soothing music, e.g. Taize chant
    - Mindfulness colouring
    - Having a stressball to squeeze

Things that help with depression

- Seeing friends if at all possible, or just reaching out to people and asking them to say they're thinking of/praying for me
    - Cuddling my teddies
    - Comfort foods
    - Having extra time in the shower and using nice-smelling body products like cocoa butter
    - Looking through my scrapbook that has loads of cards I've collected since I first got ill, from friends and co-workers
    - Trying to hold onto the phrase "this, too, shall pass"
    - Sitting it out and waiting for things to get better
    - My positivity iTunes playlist. Though sometimes it can be too happy

What do you do to protect your mental health?
    1. I try and avoid triggering people/situations as far as possible
    2. I try to (when I'm in the right mood) ensure that I get enough sleep/rest/'me' time, coz not having sufficient amounts of those things tends to make me worse
    3. I don't force myself to do things anymore, e.g. attending things I don't wanna attend, etc.
    4. I try and shut down a bit during times when I know I'm prone to being more vulnerable, e.g. Lent
    5. I try and avoid confrontations
    6. I'm giving therapy a good go again (third time lucky!) and I'm trying to be better at taking my meds
    7. I try and balance things out so that I'm not doing too many activities in one day/one week
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I protect my mental health by maintaining with my appointments with my GP, CPN, psychiatrist and psychologist and full engaging with any therapy or asks they set me.

On a day to day level, I try and keep my MH conditions at bay by trying to get as much sleep as I can and by being active during the day, I interact with my pets nearly every min of the day :teehee:, I go for a relaxing bath most nights, I do voluntary work, I talk when something worries me instead of bottling it in, I don't drink much and I read

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly (I know this will sound like a cliche) but I feel like I should have been born in 1960s. This therefore makes me feel like an outcast with social peers even though I am only 15. I find that this can sometimes get me down but I cope by taking myself out of this time and going back to 1960/70 by listening to music from the time and watching television programs from that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    TRIGGER WARNING FOR MENTION OF SUICIDE

My mental health issues have had a huge impact on my life. I've been hearing voices since I was five (I'm now nearing 30, so have heard them for over 20 years); had my first depressive episode aged 10; had a massive breakdown at my undergraduate university aged 21, and
    Spoiler:
    Show

have made 4 attempts on my life since then.

Aged 22, I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, which is like a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. From the age of 21, I have lived life through (what feels like) five different personalities; these are currently under therapeutic investigation.

My mental health issues mean I am hugely codependent (cannot live by myself; sometimes cannot get around places unaccompanied; cannot cook for myself) and cannot work or study full-time. I have become very difficult to be around, in that I am hugely needy, very paranoid, and often lash out at people. I have a lot of memory and cognition problems. It's highly doubtful I will ever be well enough to drive or be stable enough to enter into a romantic/sexual relationship.

Safe to say, my mental health problems have had a hugely negative impact on my life. It's not all been entirely bad though. I've met some wonderful people online through the MHSS thread on TSR; I have got involved in hugely valuable and affirmational volunteering that I would never have done had I not suffered from mental health problems; I've become a more empathetic, supportive and (hopefully!) patient person

I am not very good at self-soothing (as my therapist has discovered ) but something of the various things that help me are (in no particular order)

Things that help with psychosis

- Reality-testing with trusted people
    - Reaching out for support by telling people how I feel
    - Grounding techniques such as mindfulness colouring
    - Tangles
    - Medication
    - Therapy (especially the type I'm doing now, which is called schema therapy)
    - Prayer

Things that help with mania

- Listening to very slow, soothing music, e.g. Taize chant
    - Mindfulness colouring
    - Having a stressball to squeeze

Things that help with depression

- Seeing friends if at all possible, or just reaching out to people and asking them to say they're thinking of/praying for me
    - Cuddling my teddies
    - Comfort foods
    - Having extra time in the shower and using nice-smelling body products like cocoa butter
    - Looking through my scrapbook that has loads of cards I've collected since I first got ill, from friends and co-workers
    - Trying to hold onto the phrase "this, too, shall pass"
    - Sitting it out and waiting for things to get better
    - My positivity iTunes playlist. Though sometimes it can be too happy

1. I try and avoid triggering people/situations as far as possible
    2. I try to (when I'm in the right mood) ensure that I get enough sleep/rest/'me' time, coz not having sufficient amounts of those things tends to make me worse
    3. I don't force myself to do things anymore, e.g. attending things I don't wanna attend, etc.
    4. I try and shut down a bit during times when I know I'm prone to being more vulnerable, e.g. Lent
    5. I try and avoid confrontations
    6. I'm giving therapy a good go again (third time lucky!) and I'm trying to be better at taking my meds
    7. I try and balance things out so that I'm not doing too many activities in one day/one week

Thank you for sharing your amazing story.
    I find learning about mental health very fascinating and hearing stories like yours, especially since despite your condition you still see the positives and spend your time volunteering and living on despite the challenges.
    I would love to be a Psychiatrist one day.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    Thank you for sharing your amazing story.
    I find learning about mental health very fascinating and hearing stories like yours, especially since despite your condition you still see the positives and spend your time volunteering and living on despite the challenges.
    I would love to be a Psychiatrist one day.
    Thanks for your nice comment here
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbhjuststop)
    I am currently finding it really difficult to find help for my mental illness'; I suffer from anorexia, bulimia, depression and self harm.
    I was referred to CAMHS when i was 15 and received amazing support for my issues, now i am 22 and feel like I'm stuck with no-one to help. CAMHS only go up to 18 years old and the last time i saw my GP, he just referred me to a group therapy session which was not helpful in the slightest. I am at college currently and my tutor is aware of my eating disorders but i have received no help from that either except a person to talk to. Not really sure what to do but i am going to university in September and do not want my issues to escalate and effect my career.
    I definitely agree about CAHMS, and although the actual support I got through it wasn't particularly helpful, the speed and ease of which I could access it was great. It amazes me how there's such a contrast with the services you have to access after turning 18...

When you go to university, definitely seek out the Dean of Students, or whatever the support services are called, as they'll be able to refer you on to their counselling and other services which are available, and for example, at my uni, there is a bit of a wait, but you do get 1-1 and I think a lot of unis are trying to pump more money into it.

Just keeping in mind that bad thoughts are nothing but an electric signal in the brain that is confined within millimeters of space. And also that at some point I will feel happier again so all I have to do is relax and wait.

ReputationRep:

I'm currently in the last year of International baccalaureate diploma programme and our IB coordinator is a mad woman. She's caused me so much stress and anxiety over this school year that you can't even imagine how bad it sometimes gets. School being my top priority at this moment and with uni coming up next year, I try to look at everything in a more relaxed manner, since I have come to think that the rank of my uni will hardly have any effect on my future career.
    Also, doing sports for 2 hours each day helps relieve the stress, since I don't think about school at all during that time.

i'm currently in my last year of A-levels, hoping to go to university in September. Over the last few months (basically this school year) I've started to feel really low, have really low self-esteem and really anxious about everything. In fact, I feel too anxious to go to the doctors about how I am feeling.

Exercise and music - particularly uplifting music - are what gets me through, as is talking to a couple of my friends, the only people I have let in about how I am feeling.

I don't know anymore :sad:

I have GAD which was diagnosed in my first year of university. I had CBT for a few weeks which completely changed my view of things. My problem is that I don't feel anxious as such, and I'm not a huge worrier. However, I have physical symptoms such as a rash, angioedema, nausea, and a strange fuzzy sensation in my tongue. When I'm particularly anxious I get this feeling like the world is going to end (hard to explain really).

The CBT helped me to stop responding to other people and situations in the way that I normally would, as well as gave me ways of noticing when I'm becoming anxious and what about.
      Swimming was my life saviour. I go 3 times a week for half an hour, and I find it impossible to think while I'm swimming. I am so much more relaxed and have far fewer episodes.
      The one thing that I find doesn't work at all is mindfulness and meditation. My mind works at a million miles an hour, and it is impossible for me to shut it off and think in the ways that these techniques use.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.