Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've started my degree with Open University in October and I've really been enjoying it. But as this is considered part time, even though I'd love to do it full time, I'm after some work to earn some money for me to live, as I don't have the full loans from SFE.

I've seen an opportunity, had it sent to my emails today, but it's for an apprenticeship, mon-fri, right on my doorstep and a good wage.

Can part time students work towards an apprenticeship at the same time, or is that not allowed???
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why not.

ReputationRep:
    Most OU Students (including myself) work full or part time. Only thing to consider is if the apprenticeship will be relevant to your degree as an employer is unlikely to take you on if they know their only going to have you until you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _hmelli)
    Hi everyone,

I've started my degree with Open University in October and I've really been enjoying it. But as this is considered part time, even though I'd love to do it full time, I'm after some work to earn some money for me to live, as I don't have the full loans from SFE.

I've seen an opportunity, had it sent to my emails today, but it's for an apprenticeship, mon-fri, right on my doorstep and a good wage.

Can part time students work towards an apprenticeship at the same time, or is that not allowed???
    I have just been hired to start an accounting apprenticeship starting in May and I'm in my 3rd year of an OU PPE degree. The employer had no problem with the fact that I was studying for a degree at the same time (I talked a lot about time management, independent working/studying and being driven and wanting to learn which I suspect helped to get me the apprenticeship). The only thing they did ask about is how would I handle studying for a degree and studying for the college aspect of the apprenticeship, which is something you'd have to bear in mind.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.